Wii U and 3ds Digital Shop Discontinuation

Official news here at Nintendo’s website

Currently, you can get Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver Crystal and Pokemon on the 3ds/2ds virtual console for $9.99 each.

Also, you can get Red Mystery Dungeon, Blue Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Ranger, Pokemon Snap and Pokemon games I must admit I am not familiar with.

There is also an impressive collection of vintage Zelda, Mario Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem and pretty much every other Nintendo franchise from the NES all the way to the Wii U. Also, the Wii U shop has games from the Game Boy to the DS. They are very reasonably priced.

However, the shop will be discontinued according the the below schedule.

On 5/23/2022, you will not be able to use a credit card to add funds to these shops.

On 8/9/2022, you will not be able to use a Nintendo gift card to add funds to these shops.

During March 2023, you will not be able to make purchases at all on these shops. Previously purchased content will still be available for download.

Sad to see the virtual console go, but I knew this would happen eventually. Just a heads up to those who may want to enjoy any classic Nintendo games and own them as opposed to a digital subscription, which I suspect is incoming.

8 Likes

This news bummed me out a bit. Like you said, the wii-u eshop is loaded with amazing games and classics for reasonable prices, the 3ds as well. I guess I’ll have to grab a couple before it’s too late.

Hopefully the silver lining is that this means Nintendo/Gamefreak will FINALLY give us the opportunity to throw money at them when they put these classics on the Switch eshop. I would happily pay to play RBY/GSC and all other previous Pokémon titles on the switch. It baffles me as to why they’ve yet to do that.

5 Likes

@howleatthemoon , I agree. I’d take it a step further and say they need to add Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green, Fire Red along with all of Gen 4 and Gen 5.

I wanna play emerald as I never got around to it back in the day but the cartridge is literally $100 easily for an authentic copy. Same with Platinum too. Plus, Gen IV and V is flooded with fakes that are not easy for an amateur like me to identify.

1 Like

5 Likes

Shop has been open for AWHILE, so while it’s disappointing it’s closing, I’m just going to set my other english system up with my older Nintendo account to download the games on there and my japanese 3ds with a new account so I can grab pokemon bank and pokemon crystal. Maybe I’ll buy a few more games on my main system but I just own my stuff physically so I’m not that affected by the shop closing. I am affected by pokemon bank potentially never working again in the future.

1 Like

Main concern for me is “Ribbon Master”-ing pokemon and taking your pokemon from gen 3 all the way up to current gen…

3 Likes

I didn’t even think about that :scream:. I think bank will still be functional when they shutdown the eshop servers, but for how long I don’t know. I’ve gotta jump back on my quest to make my Houndoom from Gale of Darkness a ribbon master.

I’m actually pretty unfamiliar with the Gold, Silver, Crystal GB versions. Is Crystal worth buying over Gold or Silver? Are there any colour palette different between the versions?

Crystal is the best of the bunch. It took all of the elements from Gold and Silver and made them better.

There is no color palette variation between any of the versions; the only difference between Gold and Silver is Pokemon exclusives.