Does anyone care about shining legends?

Does anyone care about shining legends 3 years and a couple thousand psa 10 copies later? Does it make any sense buying a couple of the shining sets in a 10 at the moment, other than just liking the design and the Pokémon? I was away from the hobby when this set came out but it seems like Hidden Fates is a repeat of what it was like.

I like both shining legends and hidden fates for modern sets. I buy these packs occasionally, when I get the itch to open some packs! I personally won’t grade any of these modern cards anytime soon though, plus they look nice in a pro binder.

4 Likes

It’s probably wiser to buy sets today instead of 3 years ago.

I don’t actually follow the prices because I wasn’t to interested in this set but even without looking, I can make a confident guess that it’s cheaper today. As for future value that’s always unknowable

2 Likes

It was printed to death just like all modern product, so I feel like it’s hard to have serious interest in it from hardcore collectors

1 Like

I see people just wave away modern product a lot with this argument but Base, Jungle and Fossil are also some of the most printed sets of all time. Print run correlates with sales, sales correlate with demand, demand determines prices.

6 Likes

Even if Shining Legends had a similar print size of unlimited base, I would doubt it would be ever as popular. 10 years down the line I doubt shining legends would have the same nostalgia that people had for base set.

All of those also had a 1st edition run, which is we’re seeing the majority of growth and demand I believe.

Collector staples like shiny mew and test tube mewtwo will, in my opinion, maintain a certain degree of interest in this set for future collectors. I sold plenty of these in PSA 10 for $40 in the past. Good luck finding them at that price now.

Also, regarding the prices going down, don’t forget modern sets value at release is determined not just by collectors, but also by players, so if you want value for money, you shouldn’t be buying ‘meta’ cards while they are in standard. If I remember well Shining Lugia saw significant play at some point, with raw copies selling for $30 each so, as a collector, the smart thing to do would have been to wait until it dropped out of the meta.

Regarding nostalgia, it is important to understand that it is a relative thing. Even though base set will always invoke a sense of nostalgia among collectors, the cards being discussed on the school’s playground and making kids excited today will invoke nostalgia when they are 30 years old and reminisce about that Shining Mew they pulled as a kid, just like old collectors reminisce about base set.

I’m not trying to say prices of shining legends will ever go through the roof, but there should be a steady price increase on at least those two staples for the next 10 years, which in turn will make the set’s price grow. How much it will gro by percentagewise is anyone’s guess though, but given its rarity, it is not inconceivable for at least test tube mewtwo to fetch something in the $250 - $400 range by 2030.

1 Like

I just sold my complete set for garbage $$. It is a nice set, kind of wishing I kept the set as it is a nice set. The good thing is the set wasn’t sold in booster boxes, so it was harder to get them all.

1 Like

Shining legends is what brought me back because of how exciting it was to pull a shiny. I don’t think any GX card or modern holo could have had the same effect and the set will always have that. There’s a huge gap in how exciting product is to open for me between Shining Legends + Hidden Fates and all other modern sets.

1 Like

A PSA 10 unlimited holo set is in the the $4k range. Don’t get me wrong, I dont think there’s going to be some meteoric rise in the price of shining legends but if you’re buying cards at cost or really cheap, it doesn’t take much to see a profit. If we are talking about “investing”, it’s not what the ceiling price is, it’s all about the relative % difference between what you buy at and what you sell at.

Anyway, I agree that the larger print runs of modern sets are a turn off but at the same time I think because of the proportionally larger demand, there is still opportunity

Can someone explain why the rainbow rare Mewtwo is so expensive? That’s the last one I need for my binder collection. Been waiting for the price to drop but it’s only been on the rise. I’m guessing it’s playable, even with updated rules?

I love Shining Legends. Fantastic set to open sealed, a lot of awesome Pokemon selections, and the callback to the original shining cards is super cool. I think that for the money these are some of the most fun cards/packs you can purchase. That’s not investment advice, just collecting advice.

5 Likes

The more popular pokemon tend to be more expensive relative to other cards in any set.

Also possible with the release of the shiny in hidden fates people were reminded the card exists and picked up the original version.

That could explain some of the discrepancy. Looking at TCGPlayer, the RR Mewtwo is around $37 NM, but test tube Mewtwo is hovering just under $20. My only thought is that people like to bling out their decks with RR Mewtwos. Isn’t S&M stuff supposed to be rotating out?

It wasn’t a meta-relevant card to begin with.

The second half of SM rotates out in September but not everything may go.