Deep saturation in base set holos - Ruby Red Charizard

I can see why, I’ve gone back and forth on this myself. If you see the lightest and darkest versions of regular unlimited next to each other, the difference is somewhat substantial. At least to people like us. :joy:

1 Like

Definitely. I see something like that and think “WOW!” But the average person would not care at all.

1 Like

Do you have images of Blastoise? I’d like to see that!

If I saw that in person I would be considered it might be fake. I’ve never seen a red unlimited charizard. Wow that’s awesome

They show up on occasion. Just keep your eyes out and always try to compare it to other copies to see the saturation differences. It’s become MUCH easier to spot them now that PSA provides scans of every card that can be directly compared.

Before, one had to make lots of assumptions on scanning technology / lighting / angle that could affect the saturation in the listed photo.

1 Like

That’s what I love about E4. Where else would I learn about this? Possible new collection goal unlocked :eyes:

4 Likes

The one I have is not nearly as deep as my charizard, but I’ve seen them almost as deep, and I’ve been yearning for one for a long time. However, upon looking at pwcc, here’s one that’s pretty deep compared to a more standard saturation. Not a great example unfortunately, sorry, best I can find

But the deepest ones the background is extremely dark, the text area is as deep as blast’s skin on the left, and the shell especially is dark deep green compared to the usual light olive color. While nothing varies as wildly as charizard blastoise comes in close second.

Also while looking thru my own pics hoping I’ve maybe compared two, while I didn’t have any deep blastoise examples I found a ruby and an orange charizard for viewing pleasure.

6 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. What grade is the zard?:eyes:

That was a 6. Pretty rough, but when it comes to the rare weird color variants it’s more about the card than the grade. I tragically had to sell it but the trade was very worth it and I still have me 9 so it’s all good.

1 Like

1st ed/Shadowless is the best. The colors are just so much better

This is my blastoise. It unfortunately is not a deep sapphire

4 Likes

This might be the most niche of the niche thread ever on E4, and I’m all about it!

7 Likes

My blastoise gives off deepsea vibes, maybe he is sapphire

4 Likes

I’m definitely glad to see there are other people on this earth who admire the color variations in shadowless/1st ed base as much as I do.

4 Likes

Mine

4 Likes

So I found one. All credit goes to @professoroakcali. Who is also a huge shadowless collector. In this one it’s really apparent the difference in color

10 Likes

I wouldn’t even care about the grade at that point. I would just want that beauty. It’s like the wavy/faded of yugioh’s

2 Likes

I didn’t realize there were color variations within shadowless on its own. Someone posted a thread about color variations between base and base 2 earlier this year and I noticed that there was a lot of variation across prints (though to be fair some of them weren’t produced at the same facility).

1 Like

Yeah I’m thinking of trying to find one regardless of grade

I noticed that my Chinese and Korean zards have a lot of red compared to the others.

1 Like