Printing error Shadowless Charizard

I recently obtained this shadowless charizard on ebay in a complete set and I mist say the coloring on it is something I’ve never seen before. The card doesn’t appear to be sun faded tho. I’ll post pics for a comparison with my 1st ed copy and you all can post your opinions here on the thread :sunglasses:

imgur.com/a/5BaMJ

imgur.com/a/5BaMJ

It’s completely transparent! :open_mouth:

Lol It didnt work when loading the pics. having difficulties!!!

I dont like how photo loading works on here damnit… I can only post links on this site now I guess… :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I saw this on your instagram :blush:

Honestly it looks like pigment degradation as opposed to low ink or a printing issue. I had something similar happen to a couple cards in a screw down cases that I left by the window years ago. The color red is the most susceptible and fades more easily.

I have a faded out one that looks very similar.

I saw it on ebay with the complete set, honestly looks like sun damage to me.

It looks really cool whatever is is!

buying this set was a steal too man. the conditions are pretty damn solid. I’m happy to say the least either way!

1 Like

all of the yellow, green, blue and black colors are fine. it’s the red colors, zards mouth, the purple color on the pokemon power ability, the brown on the fighting energy that are wrong. …
Blue is the last color that will start to fade… now if red fades the easiest than orange, yellows should be effected as well but all those colors are still perfectly intact. even the yellows on the fire and in the holo. So I kinda disagree about it being sun faded but at the same time am still not positive what it is. it’s honestly hard to say.

TBH this looks like like sun fading rather than an ink error. The holo colors would degenerate less due to the holo layer.

Usually when there is low ink you will see one specific color that is off, or one that is consistently strong. The side by side there is an overall saturation and numerous differences in the color. No real consistent pattern of say magenta strong throughout.

Also consider when a card is displayed in an office, there is no guarantee all of the card receives the same amount of sunlight. So you can have spots that will have less fading than others. In my experience, this is strongly on the side of fading rather than an ink shortage.

ahh I see. thanks for chiming in. I’m not entirely sure how psa grades cards that have faded due to the sun… anyone feel free to chime in on that one.

There is only one way to find out! :slightly_smiling_face:

In my experience they are hit and miss when it comes to fading.

I’ll send in this one if you send in that one brother

2 Likes

Each pigment is totally different, and the break down isn’t something that just moves up the color spectrum (red to orange to yellow, etc.). There have been a lot of technical changes in print inks since the early 1990s, as manufacturers were required to reduce and then eliminate Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs, which means solvents). Replacement red print inks were among the colors least able to stand up to the bleaching effect of the sun.

These problems continue today. Cabinet makers have been struggling with things as basic as white lacquer finishes on kitchen and bathroom cabinets, as their favorite paints were reformulated a few years ago, and the new ones are susceptible to water damage.

If you ever see weird ads (especially in the USA) wanting to buy old Rustoleum spray paints, its because the new ones are mediocre compared to the old ones. Miniature model painters are among the users that crave the old stuff. The colors are deeper and stick well to more materials.

I even know one guy who purchased forty 55-gallon drums of an old auto paint / sealer used by classic car restorers. He paid about $2/gallon, and now sells it for $40 to $50 a gallon, because he is the only game in town, and nothing new does half as well.

3 Likes

Are we sure this isn’t Sheldon Cooper?

2 Likes