Current Market Value of PSA 9 1st Edition Base Set Charizard

I have checked recent last sold and the numbers appear to be all over the place – the last Apr PWCC ones ended at around 31k but certain ones on eBay ended at 18k or so subsequently (and I do not note any relistings of them) and just now another one at 23k.

What would be the approximate value today for a thick stamp, strong copy?

Thanks all

That $18k and $21k were not real sales. 1 feedback seller and both those listings are the same cert number.

More recent one sold for $40k and looks legit.

Range is $30-40k then I’d say. So a strong thick stamp could be up to $40k.

30-40k

The lower ones you saw are both fake listings

1 Like

The 23k best offer accepted price is probably a scam listing. The holofoil of the scan matches exactly to the one on the shelf, in a scammy way, like holofoils dont have different foiling under different angles. Also the spacing between the card and the seller’s timestamp is different when he took a photo further back, that’s not how space works. Same with his Blastoise listing.

I would lean towards tossing out the 18k sale as an outlier/unreliable data point, possibly even the 23k sale…seem way too low to me, but I haven’t looked into it so take that with a grain of salt. Hard to put a value on higher end items/items with rarity or god-tier popularity, depends on what each individual buyer thinks of the long term market trajectory. Also depends on how many are on the market at a given time. Sounds cliche and douchey but it’s worth whatever someone’s willing to pay for it. So many factors at play, it’s not like a stock where there is a firm agreed upon price.

@mertz Huh? There are numerous legit sales every month via PWCC auction archives. Very clear cut valuation based on those. Ignore the scam listings same as you would for any other card. Haha.

1 Like

I get it, I’m an inexperienced collector who made a shitty point, but you didn’t need to hit me with a super sarcastic and condescending reply like that

1 Like

Wasn’t trying to be condescending was just confused. I had actually thought to myself after posting oh this might come across harsher than I intended so I edited to add “Haha” at the end to lighten the tone but maybe that backfired sorry.

No worries my friend, I understand intention can get twisted when messaging in this format. It’s ironic that you edited the haha in to lighten the tone, but that’s the exact thing that made me think you were trying to shit on me by laughing in my face lol

1 Like

The perils of my over thinking strikes again lmao

9 Likes

A weak PSA 9 sold today for 30k on eBay UK

1 Like

UK one sold for £20,000 ($28.2k) based on the exchange rate 1:1.41 (GBP:USD) yesterday, I threw in a bid but lost.

I believe that is the lowest public sale at least I have seen to date.

I haven’t seen a 40k sale in a long time, sales have been showing a decline in this card price since February from approx $45,000 to now $28,000 in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe that this card on the market today sold for $18,000, however I wouldn’t put $23,000 past being a legitimate sale although that seems a bit low for the card today.

Although people say you can’t use one sale to judge the market value, the fact that it has been showing a declining trend consistently since February I think you would find it hard to sell one above $30,000 unless it was extremely strong.

3 Likes

My experience regarding a ‘weak’ psa 10, well I’ve seen many extremely weak psa 10s achieve record prices too, so I’m not sure we should jump to the conclusion that the reason an item sold low was that it was a weak psa 10 in my opinion

Thanks everyone! 30k is the general magic number at this moment I guess, subject to the strength/condition of the card

The one that sold in UK for £20,000 last night was collection only. I’m sure that impacts the sale price. I’m surprised that one hit 20k actually.

What does it mean by collection only?

I think it means local pickup only?

2 Likes

I know it was collection only, but many of us in the UK would travel for a day to even save $1,000 it makes it worth it so I don’t think that would significantly affect the price

1 Like

Wow that’s insane to think that psa 9 is now selling under $30k while the PSA 10 is still at $300k+. But the flood is still ongoing, wouldn’t be surprised if we see more $20k-S30k sales if these keeps up.