Cracking a BGS 9 Zard out of the case for PSA

So a while back ago I was offered this japanese base set zard for 75 on eBay as a BGS 9 and I jumped because the subgrades looked really good besides the 8.5 surface, which I can’t see a reason for visually. I decided to crack it out of the case since I would prefer PSA. Some people may not like case cracking, but it is the easiest way to get to the card and I don’t do this very often anyway.

I’m sure it’s not the best way to crack a case, but it was simple, done with tools in the home, fun and it worked, so I can’t complain. :wink:

Just happy I didn’t cut the card in half, haha. I do feel like it was destiny though because a day later was the Arita signing announcement, so now I want to get it signed too!

Anyone else ever do case cracking and how do you do it???

I think that’s how most people do it. I have a similar video with PSA cases on my old channel. I would put more focus toward inserting the flat head screwdriver part. If you rush and really try shoving the screwdriver in towards the card, the case could pop up and send the screwdriver right to the card for a nice scratch. I always be sure to tell people to push in the object at a angle strait across the label.

You need some better tools my friend. You leave to much to chance the way you are doing it. Buy a nice large sharp pair of angled wire cutters. They make easy work of the plastic and will allow you to remove much more of the seal in a much more precise way. BGS sleeves the cards also, which I feel saved you in this process. You try that technique with a psa slab and you’re seriously risking scratching/ damaging your cards.

@britishcolumbiazards,Done it maybe 4 or 5 times with PSA cards and did just fine. I know I could use a better tool for sure, but in the video I was trying to keep it in front of the camera too, which didn’t help the actual process lol

I am super curious what it will grade, but held up on submitting it because I may find a way to get it signed, which would be simply awesome I think.