Charizard Fake "Test" Print Card

Hi

This is my first time posting on this forum so I apologise if there are rules against bumping old threads!

I use to collect Pokemon cards back in the 90s with my friends and I recently got back into it just for fun. While trying to complete my old sets I learned a lot of stuff that I didn’t know as a kid (print runs, error cards, etc) and it’s turned into a little bit of an obsession! I’ve never posted on any Pokemon forums, but I do read some of the interesting topics that come up and this particular story about the Base Set ‘test’ cards I found really fascinating. Even after reading through this thread, the reddit posts, and watching The Charizard Authority’s YouTube video, I still couldn’t make up my mind whether the cards were real or not. Well just the other week I saw an eBay listing for a couple of Charizard cards, and one of them happened to be from this same Base Set ‘test’ print. So just for fun I decided to buy it so I could see one of these cards for myself.

Here it is imgur.com/a/nvzCk

I’m no expert on Pokemon card, but after seeing one of these cards for myself, I believe they’re fake. It just doesn’t feel quite like a normal Pokemon card and I’m also a bit suspicious about the peeling in the bottom left corner. Do normal cards do that? My card has the exact same weave texture that mattman23 and ej91’s cards have, but on my card the holofoil pattern does not come through the rest of the card, which I found a bit odd.

I know this topic is old and it’s probably been established by now that these are fake, but I just wanted to share my pictures and add my own opinion.

1 Like

didn’t realise this was an old thread till i already posted /facepalm

Hey Rainking, Welcome to the site!

Yes there is a rule about necroposting, but no worries, your post was made into its own thread.

As for the authenticity of your card and the “test” print sheets as a whole, they are most likely forgeries. Outside of one article written about those cards, there is no proper documentation that verifies their authenticity. More specifically, the holo pattern, card stock and cut don’t match how WOTC cards were produced.

The individual who posted the Alakazam planned on sending the card to one of the experts here to verify its authenticity. If you would be willing to do this, feel free to message me and I or another individual can help. Otherwise, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

1 Like

Card looks cool either way. Mind posting the link to your buying page from eBay. Might give us some clues

Thanks smpratte

One of the things that made me think they might be real was seeing the same sign-off name written on the shadowless sheet and “test” sheet in Charizard Authority’s video. I guess that could have been forged as well to make the sheet seem genuine. Either way, it’s still an interesting card so I’m going to hang on to it.

killerred09

Here is the listing www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Charizard-Pokemon-Cards-/151968985689

I asked him some questions about the cards origin but so far he hasn’t got back to me.

1 Like