Cards whose existence passed you by

As an avid ex card fan these 2 blew me back when I first saw them. The First is known as Aura’s Lucario ex and the second Folklore’s Lucario ex. They were both released in Japanese theme decks as a way to promote the 8th Pokemon movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. A fun fact about Folklore’s Lucario is it was also in the same box that released the gold stars for Mewtwo and Pikachu in Japan.

8 Likes

Totally, they look great and the gold star connection is cool, one of the best 4th gen pokes with ex layout is an automatic win.

2 Likes

I found out about the Japanese VS cards wayyy too late.

2 Likes

Seeing a 4th gen mon in that layout is what really sold it for me. Such a sick thing they did.

1 Like

I still find eseries non-holos I’ve never seen before way more often than expected.

5 Likes

That site definitely helped!

I only just realised in the last few weeks how beautiful and low pop some of the original Ex and Lv X cards are like Celebi Ex and Glaceon Lv. X

2 Likes

Not really something I should have known about per se, as in they’re commonly available like your Neo Genesis Clefairy example, but it still surprises me when we see cards from decades ago for the first time nowadays. The most recent example is the SNAP Magikarp, for which both the first sale AND first picture of a physical copy happened this year.

Some other recent examples (as in past two years) are: the DPt-P Cresselia and Darkrai (popped up in September 2020); the BW-P Pokémon Catcher, Emolga, and Metal Energy (popped up in June 2020); the original Japanese sample cards (popped up almost three weeks ago); etc.

And one that probably surprised me the most: the two Glossy Keiji Kinebuchi Ivy Pikachu versions, one from the October 1998 Gekkan CoroCoro lottery Comic that’s limited to 2k copies (popped up in September 2018) and one from a still unknown origin with shifted artwork (popped up in August 2021). This second one I’m still missing myself in my Pikachu collection, but I did find the first one recently. It still surprises me every time a new Pikachu is being discovered, especially those from pre-2000, considering how long the TCG already exist and everyone is collecting including myself.

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

Even as someone who has no intention of ever collecting this card it has still been very interesting to follow the development of the story. I love the greenish hue of the shifted version.

1 Like

Legends Jumbo cards…

1 Like

mine is that psyduck .

I really do not understand what is going on there and it just makes it better :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Expedition Kadabra artwork is one I always completely forget about and it is incredible IMO.

I feel like skyridge Kadabra gets all of the love since it’s the “last one printed”

2 Likes

110%, the Expedition one is easily the best Kadabra artwork ever to my eye, much better than Skyridge.

The Rayquaza Pre/Mega battle Gym badge promos.

I knew the all Hoenn gym leaders appeared in card form but for some reason never remember where.

1 Like

Maybe the perfect thread to mention this, but I’ve never seen these colors on these cards & I’ve seen them on yahoo Japan, what are these? Why are the colors different? Can’t find any info.

For me, it’s the ‘cards’ that were included in the sealed WotC Black Star Promos (most of which are featured here I believe).

I have had the Ancient Mew details cards for years (have it loose and sealed), but that one was pretty famous. I got the Neo card (with Unown and Pichu on that came with Entei) loose in bulk about 10 or so years ago, but never identified it came with a sealed promo until a year ago or so.

But the rest, including the ‘Catch Mew!’, ‘Master the game!’ and ‘Legendary Birds’ (and their slight variations), I didn’t even know existed until recently! I’ve since added them to my database.

PS: My first post here on E4! I’ve been a lurker for years, and been involved with the TCG community on reddit for many years too, but I figured I might start focusing my attention on here as well, as other users I’ve spoken with in some capacity are also in this forum.

3 Likes

Both of them simply look sun-faded tbh. Here a Japanese one I have myself (also bought from Yahoo Japan a couple years ago):

The older Pokémon cards especially fade pretty quickly, but even the newer cards can fade. When it’s done on purpose in a sunny country for about a year, it can look pretty cool though:

Although sometimes it happens accidently if someone stores it at the wrong place for decades. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

@apbsayin, The default assumption should be they are sun faded. An actual color misprint would be the exception.

3 Likes

@quuador Yeah they both could be by the sun, especially the Pikachu, the Mew though looks like a completely different color, if that is by the sun which I’m assuming it is, I wonder if all purple cards would turn into such a blue like that, pretty cool though. Makes me think what colors turn to what colors in certain stages of fading now.

1 Like

Pokémon cards are printed with four colors (CMYK) in Rosetta patterns: Cyan; Magenta; Yellow; and Black. When sun-faded, the Magenta fades rather quickly compared to the other colors. So yes, purple would indeed become blue fairly quickly, and then fades further into just a bleached color. :blush: (Some general info about how Pokémon cards are printed - with focus on how certain misprints occur - can be found in this video, which also briefly covers the CMYK and Rosetta pattern.)

Fun fact: red/magenta also barely reflects sunlight, which is why the ocean/rivers almost always appear blue.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes