Cards lost in mail?

As we know when mailing cards it’s always risky. Have you ever had a card lost in the mail or a package stolen? Either as a buyer or a seller? Was it ever resolved? Due to the stories I’ve read on here I actually stay away from FedEx because I’m always worried something will get lost.

2 Likes

I order quite a bit on ebay and there have been a few times where my item has gotten stuck in transit and either never arrived or was really delayed. Its always been resolved though so thats why i like that platform. The first couple times it happened i was overly nervous and would tend to panic. After a couple times however ive learned that being patient usually resolves the issue. Now if anything is delayed i politely reach out to the seller and ask if he is aware of any issue with the shipping, and go from there. I usually wait a week until past the estimated delivery to message them. I try to be as understanding as possible. Things happen and most of the time its no ones fault. Just be sure to check reviews! I also use tcgplayer and have never had an issue that couldn’t be resolved with them either. Had the wrong card sent but the seller let me keep it and sent the correct one. So idk my experiences with those two have been pretty good but i like to think ive been careful

6 Likes

Yup, had it happen during Covid mainly. Before that, never had a single package lost buying or selling. I say “Covid” because it stayed locked down or at least partially locked down almost into 2022 where I am and caused a lot of delays at times.

Anyway, everything has to go through a customs location here and I had 3 cards that never made it through. No idea what happened to them. They were all purchases, and eBay thankfully was able to refund them. In hindsight, it was actually great that it happened because I vastly overpaid on those 3 cards and they weren’t super rare or hard to find either.

I’m kind of surprised more mail doesn’t get lost at times. I still have memory of walking in my office building where I work one morning and picking up half a dozen small packages that fell off a mail cart. I handed them to the delivery guy before he got on the elevator and he was completely oblivious to it and awkwardly said thanks to me :smiley:

4 Likes

Yep, I’ve had packages lost in the mail / stolen before. Most times the sellers are understanding and easy to work with.

1 Like

Over 503 sales (99% international) I’ve had 2 packages go missing and neither be delivered nor come back to me. Annoyingly they were both higher value and I only got a fraction back in insurance. Both times USPS.

1 Like

During Covid I purchased a skyridge charizard holo for a pretty good price. The card was pretty beat…but was excited to add it to my collection.

Seller was from the UK (will be important later) and when I received my package…I recorded the entire opening.

Nothing was inside the package but an empty card saver. Because of the card value, I had to create a police report and ended up getting my money back through eBay. It was such a pain though of uploading documents and waiting. Had to call a few times as they couldn’t understand the card was stolen. They all kept thinking that I wanted to return the card…but I literally had nothing to return back.

With the seller being overseas, they were very adamant that I was the one scamming them. I showed them all the evidence I had…so not sure if it was stolen at customs…or the seller was trying to pull a fast one. Seller had good feedback and an older eBay account join date. Never had that happen though prior…was a real wake up call for any higher priced items I bought in the future.

2 Likes

I only had it happen one time, when I bought a Thai Staraptor for my collection on ebay. The package arrived with suspicious damage on one side and the card was missing. At least I got a refund from ebay. And to the (at least I suspect it was stolen there) postal worker in Thailand: Congratulations for risking your job over a 25 cent card!

1 Like

Had cards lost for months with ups that were stuck in their system. Customer service told me to make a claim. I didn’t. Cards arrived 9 months later.

Unless you have evidence of theft it’s likely just lost and if it’s still in their system (ups/FedEx/DHL) it will turn up

2 Likes