Cards inspired by famous works of art

I love the Palkia alt art design. It fits so well with the Pokemon!
And once I saw it, I (and others) noticed it likely drew inspiration from the art of MC Escher. You know, the staircase pictures you’ve probably seen.

I drew my own version based off the card as well as some elements from other famous works by Escher.

The Starlys are a call to the many awesome bird illustrations he has done.

The trainer from Legends Arceus (and the pokeballs) draw from another work.

And the hands are also iconic.

I really enjoyed myself building off the original card idea and art. The other cards based on real art that I love a ton are the Scream promos! Definitely hope to own one someday in the future :slight_smile: I’m wondering if there’s other cards that maybe pull from stuff like this? These are what come to my mind but they’ve very much appreciated by me and by many. ^^

9 Likes

10 Likes

Could be a stretch but I’ve always thought this Mitsuhiro Arita Bayleef looked like Claude Monet’s Water Lillies

A few years ago I tweeted the comparison asking him if there was any relation. He simply liked the tweet without leaving a response so take that how you will :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I thought the same of the unused Lotad artwork in that calendar that was passed around last year

4 Likes

Golurk alternate art is clearly a reference to a masterpiece from Studio Ghibli called Castle in the Sky. When I see it, a pick a few copies just because I could believe it was real, still to this day for me it’s in my top 5 (maybe top 3) alternate art cards. And I dont even like Golurk that much :sweat_smile:

Also, of course there are the scream promos based on Edvard Munch famous painting

6 Likes

FRLG Squirtle
For some this album is great work of art, so I’m posting it! (Nirvana, 1991 - Nevermind)

9 Likes

Knew I’d seen it somewhere before!

15 Likes

Consider this

13 Likes

Not a card, but I think this Kanagawa Wave inspired Pokemon official art (they at least printed this in a playmat) it’s pretty cool

This also inspired a lot of fan art, this shining Gyarados looks amazing, imagine this as a full art alternative art card… :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

The recent 25h Anniversary Charizard in Celebrations is based on a famous piece of artwork from 1996

The art it’s based on!

8 Likes

I think Arita must have been heavily influenced by revised depictions of Tyrannosaurus Rex after the discovery of Sue in 1990, perhaps specifically the one from Jurassic Park:

5 Likes

Surely the most overrated piece of art ever, even more than the Mona Lisa

(original Da Vinci’s drawing added as reference)

1 Like

I believe the Moltres here is inspired by depictions of Garuda, a mythical bird-like creature in Hinduism and Buddhism. In particular it’s used as the National Emblem of Thailand.

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I always assumed Skyridge Gyarados was inspired by Gene Simmon’s iconic tongue pose:

gary

gene

7 Likes

There we go!

1 Like

Or every card with Obstagoon.

3 Likes