My personal MtG x Pokemon crossover - got some Magic the Gathering artists to draw Pokemon versions of their cards!

Preface: This is a bit of a long post - I wrote some intro stuff for people who aren’t as familiar with MtG and the artist proof scene, so sorry for the length!

I’m a big fan of both MtG and Pokemon. Ever since I saw the Christopher Rush Mewtwo as a kid, I’ve been fascinated by the idea of crossovers in the two franchises. Christopher Rush, by the way, drew the Black Lotus, the most expensive vintage card in MtG.

This Mewtwo below was done back when Wizards had distribution rights to both franchises. (Side question - Wizards wouldn’t have been able to give Rush any Mewtwo artist proofs, right >.>)

I always thought it was a shame that there weren’t more cards done in this crossover spirit. Recently, I went to Magic’s annual con in Chicago, where I was able to meet many of Magic’s most iconic artists. I commissioned several to reimagine their iconic cards featuring Pokemon. Generally, I tried to have them blend Pokemon into their own artworks where possible. A quick preview before some more words:

For background, unlike Pokemon, where it can be very very difficult and expensive to get artist signatures, Magic artists are generally accessible. This (I think) is because they sign very often and usually, autographs don’t add very much to a card’s value beyond its TCGPlayer cost. Unless of course, that artist does not sign often.

Where costs can go up is their labor in sketching, and also the actual card used as the canvass for the drawing. For context, every artist receives from Wizards 25-50 ‘artist proof’ versions of each card they draw. These have the same art as the normal card, but a blank back instead of the normal MTG back.

(not my card, just an example)

The blank back is often used by artists to draw commissions from fans and purchasers. With limited copies, proofs can sometimes get expensive (for a mox sapphire proof for instance, expect to pay a few thousand). In a way, the proofs can be thought of as a bit of ‘bonus’ compensation for the artist from Wizards. Although, the market for MTG artist proofs is also really small, so it balances out a bit.

(not my card, just an example)

Some artists will allow you to get a BW or color sketch on the back of artist proofs. Not every artist offers this option. They may not have time owing to a busy schedule. Some will only draw the art from their card or allow you to choose from a limited set of options.

There are however, some artists who don’t have issues drawing figures from other IPs, even famous ones like DIsney, Star Wars and yes, Pokemon. Anyways, enough background, heres some more pictures.

Dan Frazier, who illustrated the mox gems. These are very powerful cards that let you basically generate mana for free. They are on the reserve list and sell for several thousand dollars a copy.

Coincidentally, I noticed there is a mox gem for each gen 3 and 4 game (platinum included if you want to be generous and interpret it as jet). Dan agreed to draw the cover art Pokemon on each of his moxes. I think they came out great.

Yes, he drew Alter forme Giratina instead of Origin, probably he googled the wrong one, but it’s ok. :sweat_smile: Front for comparison. I am not that rich if you are curious lol, so they are just done on the backs of basic land proofs, as I don’t have $10k to shell out for real moxes. :sweat_smile:

Here’s Mana Vault from Mark Tedin, also a powerful artifact that lets you get 3 mana for 1.

Mark agreed to draw a Pikachu on his proof, and I love his creativity with the pose. He did this freehand in about 15 minutes.

Here’s Ken Meyers with Guardian Beast, a quite expensive card from Arabian Nights on the reserve list.

Can you guess what I asked him to turn it into? lol. I was amazed he could do such a detailed painting in such a tiny space. This is also done on a random proof. Ken ran out of the original proofs for Guardian Beast a long, long time ago.

Douglas Shuler with Serra Angel.

If this pose looks familiar to you, yes, it’s because I showed him the Altaria card it’s based on, as he had to draw the card in a real hurry.

And for a relatively newer artwork, here’s Ponder by Dan Scott.

Can you guess what meme this is based on?

Lol. I realize these cards are probably in the niche of niche interests. But it’s just a personal project of mine, I wish Wizards would do a Universes beyond for Pokemon, though I acknowledge it won’t happen since they’re rival TCGs…

If you guys have more ideas for mtg cards to modify with Pokemon, I would love to hear! I will definitely seek out more artists in the future. I think this personally is a way better use of my money than blowing hundreds on commander masters boxes. :face_vomiting:

48 Likes

this is awesome :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m not the biggest mtg collector, nor I can play, I just buy all the cheap cards with gorgeous art. What can I say? Those artists are really SSS tier, I truly envy their painterly - vintage fantasy style.
I would love a Rebecca Guay Pokemon card so much,

4 Likes

This is so cool and definitely makes me want to start collecting MTG even more than I already did. Really is a stark contrast in how much freedom artists have between MTG and Pokémon. Congrats on these, they turned out so good!

3 Likes

This is awesome! I especially love the Ponder!

Coincidentally, Mitsuhiro Arita is illustrating a Magic card for an upcoming set;

We’ll have a Christopher Rush Pokémon card and a Mitsuhiro Arita Magic card!

14 Likes

These look so great! I hope that the CharizordBaller69 portion of the Pokemon signature crowd doesn’t get a peek at these because they’ll optimize it and then it’ll ruin the fun. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Such a creative niche with a lot of dedication to it, loving it and all the results! Hoping that you get a lot of suggestions for additional ones to see more of these in future

2 Likes

I saw that! If he sells those artist proofs they will definitely go like hotcakes…

2 Likes

This is really awesome! It’s great that the artists are accessible and willing to work with you on a cool project like this.

2 Likes

I need to look up where some of my favorite MTG artists go. I absolutely love this! I’ve been playing MtG for over 10 years as my favorite TCG but never saw anything lile this! All the Legendary Mox’s! Such a cool and unique collection! Thank you for sharing!!!

2 Likes

Yes, I would suggest to check the artist websites for upcoming appearances and also check your local cons for names. If the con is not too busy, odds are good they will do a commission for you. Actually it’s quite hard to flag them down at the main Magic Cons, usually they are too busy signing to draw.

2 Likes

Is there a way to SUPERLIKE a post? Because this would be it.

4 Likes

That is awesome man. Also youre wrong, Alter Giratina is far superior to Origin Giratina :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a freakin awesome post! Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope your collection continues to grow. Dang!

That machamp guardian beast is particularly cool, IMO.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, I have some more in the works and in the mail. Let’s just say that Atraxa, Dark Ritual and Stomping Ground will get the Pokemon treatment too. I’ll post pics of those once the artists send them.

1 Like

Got another one that I commissioned back at Magic Chicago in the mail today…Atraxa and Mega Absol. Two dark angels together by the original artist, Victor Adame Minguez :slight_smile:

11 Likes

One more in the mail today. Ditto and another shapeshifter, Morophon the Boundless by Jack Hughes.

9 Likes

These are so sick man!

1 Like

This is epic! Great idea, and recently I have been learning more about vintage MTG so its cool to see the crossovers!

1 Like

Added another one recently, the OG Dark Ritual from Sandra Everingham…featuring Duskull! :slight_smile:

11 Likes