Card savers / binders

I had two quick questions. I’m relatively new to collecting but have a good grasp. Outside of PSA cards I’m trying to do some near mint raw sets. The ultra pro binders I see recommend, do you think they are a good option to keep the cards in good shape? Any pointers?

Secondly I have now purchased card savers the gold ii twice now and they are always warped and bent… never straight. Anyone else have that ?

Thank you for your time!!

Most people will swear by Card Savers but I hate them. I’ve always used toploaders and can’t recall ever having an issue with them. That being said, I only used toploaders when doing sales, trades, or the very rare grade.

When it comes to binders, Ultra Pro is one of the top contending lines. I highly recommend their stuff. However, my favorite binders are Legion Dragon Hide Binders. Solid build, great quality, and an amazing overall look.

5 Likes

Card Savers are what you need for professional grading. It’s easy for a card to be wiggled in something like a toploader during shipping, so a card saver is ideal for shipping a card that is potentially worth hundreds or thousands of dollars.

But if you’re not planning on getting cards professionally graded, I think some of the nicer binders like the ultra pros and the dragon hides are really nice. It’s just a really nice presentation and keeps your cards in good shape, unlike the 3-ring binders which can bend your cards (the 3-ring binders are still totally fine for your less expensive cards).

And if you want to have cards displayed individually but don’t want them professionally graded then toploaders are just fine.

1 Like

I’m a binder collector and use the Ultra Pro binders, haven’t had any issues.

I love the Legion Dragon Hide binders. They offer great protection and look better than the rest.

2 Likes

For sets I like the Ultra Pro Deckbuilder Premium Pro. Has 12 pocket pages, zipper and holds 480 cards. Cards look really great in it and you can get it on Amazon for around $30.

The Legion Dragon Hide bunders are indeed very good binders. I’m personally also fond of the premium Ultra Pro binders.

www.elitefourum.com/t/what-cards-are-in-your-dream-binder/24838/16
I linked to a video playlist on YT where binders are being reviewed.

Myself I use Ultra Pro Pro Binders, they work fine. But maybe in future, when I have less open space in the binder (aka I finally find all those hard to find common/uncommon Japanese cards) I might upgrade to a more sturdy one for better future storing.

Most binders would be adequate. Just stay away from flimsy ones, anything with rings, and top loader binders. Side loader binders are your friend.

1 Like

Im a huge binder collector, and have most of my sets in Ultra Pro 3 ring binders.

But my goal is to move them all to these ZipFolios: www.ebay.com/itm/Petrol-Ultimate-Guard-XenoSkin-Quadrow-Zipfolio-12-Pocket-High-Quality-Card-Stor/173984790754?epid=1456438577&hash=item28824d38e2:g:lrAAAOSwYCRdRGym

1 Like

Toploaders are bulky, ugly, and show wear quickly causing distorted views of the card inside. But Azul is VERY handsome;)

1 Like

My main issue with toploaders is that they dont stop cards falling out the top like the card savers do. For full sets binders are perfect both for protection and for display but for cards you intend to grade I would go the card saver route as when you come to submit to PSA you will need them anyway.

5 Likes

Aaaaayyyy! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am trying to get rid of anything binder, so let me know lol. I do like the UltraPro binders w/ penny sleeves. I havn’t had any issues w/ them.

Three ring binders and ultra pro platinum pages are what I use, dont listen to the people who say they mess up cards. Just like any other popular form of storage they’ll keep them safe if you store them properly.

1 Like

Solid advice right here, had cards sitting this way for years before grading, and most of them got 10s and 9s anyway.

Zipfolios are the best and are what I use as well. I prefer the 9 pocket myself. They’re all great though. Can’t go wrong here.

I use zipfolio’s and my prefered choice is the “Quadrow” zipfolio. A bit pricey at 45 bucks, but the cards are secure and it can fit a ton. I’ve had some cards in one for years and taken them out to grade a 10.

For the record, I store my cards in a perfect fit sleeve and then in a penny sleeve or ultrapro sleeve in the binder.

1 Like

If you want a really nice binder go with a DEX Protection amazing quality best binder I’ve ever owned. I have the 12 card per page and use regular ultra pro sleeves with the binder.
www.trollandtoad.com/game-supplies/binders-portfolios/dex-protection-light-blue-12-pocket-binder-dexdb1203-/1175701

For some cards I’ll never pull out again, I like to put perfect-fit sleeves in them as well as put them in a regular penny sleeve for double-protection. here

Like everyone said, ultra-pro binders are simply the average god-tier binders for storage. Don’t use 3-ring binders, that $2 plastic will destroy anything who faces in front of it. pun intended* but i would say definitely play it safe when handling cards as a collector, pay the extra money for ultra pro or better and not cheap brands that could risk long-term damage.