Card of the rest of August - Champions Festival

Card of the rest of August, 2015Champions Festival

The Card of the Week was supposed to be one of the 2015 Worlds Trophy Cards, but since they are reprints and this Champions Festival is just lovely, I thought this would be more appropriate. Featuring Pikachu, Rapidash, Psyduck, Swanna, Arceus, and Ducklett.

4 Likes

To elaborate further on this card, the artwork does a fantastic job depicting the “Boston Public Garden”. Swanna represents the swan boats you can ride, which can take you around the park. There are also two actual Swans that currently live in the park named, “Romeo & Juliet”.

The statue of Arceus represents the statue of George Washington that is located in the park.

Also, the Psyduck being followed by a group of ducklett’s is homage to the “Make Way for Ducks” statues in the park. These statues were inspired by this book.

8 Likes

After last year’s Boatduck and 2012’s Creeperduck, Psyduck’s role this year could have been funnier.

Great information, Scott. Thanks for elaborating!

And kudos to illustrator Naoki Saito for really doing his homework! That’s something I’ve always admired about the Japanese artists with whom I have worked — they carefully study their subject before starting to draw.

4 Likes

I am personally a huge fan of this card, as I think it does the best job of any of the Worlds promos of capturing the historicity of the city itself. Perfect.

1 Like

If anyone has a source or has a copy of this in Japanese, I would love to have multiple copies!