Can I safely bid on this auction?

Because i’m pretty much a noob on shill bidding/privatebids/scummy sellers i thought i would ask you guys a question about this eBay listing:

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223026735924

Been messing around on this lot (and the other raw reverseHolo eseries cards he has for sale) but everytime i bid i pretty much get outraised after a few minutes.

Been wondering if this is a legit sale since all bids are private for some reason + do you guys think this is even a fair price on this lot? (Currently @ around275$)

Most buyers are using the eBay app these days so they get constant alerts to when they’ve been outbid. So getting outbid like that is not strange at all. Ive seen it on my own listings. Inexperienced bidders constantly bid. The more veteran ones wait until the last few seconds and bid their maximum amount.

1 Like

The private bids are a pretty good sign that it’ll be shilled. I don’t touch anything set to private for that reason.

3 Likes

What I don’t like about this auction is that it’s private. I have a feeling it’s going to get shilled, so just bid whatever you’re comfortable with and hope you win.

I personally wouldn’t pay that much for these cards, but then again they do sell for $4-6 each so I’m not surprised to see it at $320. If it ends for a ridiculous amount, it’s most likely shilled.

1 Like

‘Private’ by definition means you’re hiding something. Big PASS.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice guys! Pretty much confirming what i thought- shady and already @max for what i wanted to bid

Sad thing is that the lot has 2cards i would really like for my binder collection (already have 'm PSA graded but would love some raw copies) + a decent change it contains the one card i still miss for my fullReverseSkyridge set…

Would also be great to buy and start an PSA graded set collection from the Eseries + not sure if i’ll ever stumble on such a massive buy in this great condition

Might pull the trigger and outbid 'm one more time later tonight :wink:

If you’re only after 2-3 cards, why buy the whole lot? I’m fairly sure you can find someone that will sell you all 3 for like $20. :blush:

Also, it’s a total gamble. The one card they showed the back looked like it might get a 9 if the front is 100% flawless… Don’t expect a ton of Gems when buying raw cards online.

1 Like

This or order the 3 cards on Troll and Toad or something.

1 Like

True that, but its stupid hard to find these cards (espc. in these amounts) :slightly_frowning_face: took me almost 3years to puzzle the 3e-serie sets together with lots of individual trades/buys and still missing that one damn reverse friend Ball. The rare cards are no problem to get- everyone held on to those, real pain in the ass to get are the (un)common ones since nobody really collected them back then- and the people who did probably have full sets nowadays and don’t sell them individually.

Iv’e never even seen a full reverse set sell on eBay in the last few years i started collecting

Have my buy thread up here but no bites yet, still bought most cards off eBay etc. Did get the reverse celebi thanks to efour :blush:

If anybody still has a copy; currently offering 50$ for the reverse friend ball trainer [skyridge]- (last sale was for around 38$ on eBay? Someone was faster then me)

Also: appriciate the wise words of y’all so i’ll actually listen and don’t touch his auction anymore (with pain in my heart though)

That seller consistently shill bids their cards.

Rule of thumb, don’t bother with any private bid listings.

1 Like

T&T, cardhouse, collectorscache, etc. I know 'm all to well :wink: as said: most of the times you can buy 2/3 cards, but to find reverse (un)common ones is a damnned journey- check their inventory, pretty empty on reverse eserie cards :slightly_frowning_face:

My strategy with potentially shilled auctions is to just stick an amount I’m comfortable paying in the last few seconds.

That way you leave little to no time to be shilled up and no matter what price it ends at, you’re happy

1 Like

Not now

1 Like

?

*Edit: Oh, as in don’t do that now- got it :wink:

i keep all my listing private but if you are worried about it probs wouldnt bid :blush:

Exactly why?

i personally think privacy is very important. i dont use social networking sites(current news facebook sold ur info to 61 different firms) i use things like tor for internet browsing (cant use it here sadly) I want people who buy from me to not have the world see what they are buying. the mentality of you must have something to hide is not good. its not i have something to hide its just i have nothing i want you to see.

I don’t do private on any of my auctions. It’s very hard to win last second now… like above said, there is tons of notifications to watchers from eBay.

Lol at least it’s not Yahoo auctions, and it gets autoextended an hour more of bidding against people lol I hate that more…

As for the private thing. Most likely the seller doesn’t want to showcase his bidders or sold items. Little suspicious if people do that. But at the end of the day, with any auctions… do your research, see what their going for and bid what you feel is right. Auctions generally end cheaper than buy it nows.

The usernames are already scrambled for bidders. Making the bids private is redundant. Also making a bid private isn’t related to Facebook sharing information. It is mainly done to hide shill bids.

Just a friendly heads up, you will lose business from serious buyers with private bids.

1 Like

Definitely this.