Buying old collections.. to add to my collection

After a 10 year hiatus, I stumbled across my old collection back in February which had some very cool cards in it, such as 2 fire red/leaf green Charizard EX’s and a mint 1st edition Shadowless Ninetales (which I had no idea the value of until I started researching them!)

Rather than deciding to sell up, the nostalgia kicked in and re-ignited my interest of the hobby.

I have spent A LOT since then bolstering my collection with mint & PSA cards, however, the most fun I have had so far is buying old collections on various platforms and seeing what gems I find.

This thread will be a collection of everything that I purchase - both old collections and individuals.

I’m going to kick it off with one that arrived last week, as it’s pretty awesome.

Thankfully this guy kept all of his cards in toploaders, so a lot of them are in great condition (none likely to grade at PSA 10 though).

This guy REALLY liked Venusaurs by the look of it.

So yeah… pretty cool collection I thought (although I did have to pay up!)
Not every day you come across two shadowless cards & a mint shining pokemon.

Will keep these coming if people find them interesting, as I have around 5 others to post over the next week or two!
Would the idea of youtube videos where I unbox them be a better/more intriguing way to present?

Any feedback very much welcomed :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

hey man welcome to the forum and congrats on making your way back into the hobby. I have bought a handful of collections myself and I always get a kick out of seeing what cards I picked up. My best score to date was $500 Canadian (about $370 USD) for a complete 1st edition/shadowless base set in NM condition. The seller posted on Craiglist and I just happened to contact him as soon as he posted. By the time I was at his house to purchase he had 8 more phone calls and someone had offered him double his asking price lol. Luckily for me he honored the sale price and I got the deal of a lifetime. Im not sure what you paid for the cards you picked up but they are all pretty sweet, especially the shining cards. I hope you can find more deals and dive deeper into the hobby. Check out smpratte on youtube and browse the forums and you’ll have access to a ton of info and knowledgable collectors.

4 Likes

Hey,
Pleasure to meet ya dude!
Wow that is truly a once in a lifetime find!
Unlikely I’ll ever get that lucky, but I’ll keep on trying haha.
I paid around £350 for this lot, and calculated the total value at somewhere in the £6-700 region (dependent on how shining magikarp grades).
Took a bit of a risk, hoping both shadowless cards would also be good condition, so that was a bit unfortunate, but the lot overall made up for it.

Today’s arrivals…

Collection I bought on eBay.

Most valuable cards not in the greatest condition, apart from the expedition Mew which is probably an 8-9.

and then a few PSA 10 1st edition shadowless commons and a Japanese gold victory medal for the collection:

Peace

1 Like

Today’s arrivals…

One of my favourite artworks, going straight on display on my desk.
Will work towards the whole collection over the next few weeks.

and some more graded 1st ed base.
Now on my 5th Drowzee (although the other 4 are PSA 10)

Peace :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s a buyer’s market! Believe I may have seen your cards on Reddit. Nice finds.

2 Likes

It is a buyers market indeed!
Thanks dude

1 Like

Today’s arrivals… unsure what I’m going to do with these badboys:

Won a 12 card PSA bundle for a decent price on eBay:

and then bought my first sealed booster box - probably my favourite of the Sun & Moon series.
Also have a Lost Thunder one enroute that I’m going to open:

2 Likes

Just got back from holiday, and a lot of juicy additions - including my first 2 Japan purchases. Will post over the next few days.

For now, a few lots I won on eBay.

These 2 charizards were extremely cheap (around £60 for both), especially considering one looks like it’ll get a PSA 8/9 when I send it off for grading:

Might just be me but half your image links are broken, including your latest update.

1 Like

Hmm that’s very weird - thanks for letting me know!
I’m uploading via copy image link on Google Photo, do you know if there’s a better alternative?

I’m doing a new post now, so let me know if that works :blush:

So today I had a pretty special arrival… again won via eBay (both as auctions and individual purchases)

5 Likes

I appreciate that you decided to keep your collection. I regrettably sold most of my collection 10 years ago to make a quick flip at a garage sale for college funds and wish I kept it.

I love your collection and love that you kept everything so nice. Looking at all those old school doubles made me remember how my old collection looked. Glad you decided to return to the hobby and welcome to the board!

Your latest post is fine. I personally post to imgur then copy the image link from there, but I’d imagine any image host should be fine.

Thanks @azulryu, - I’m over the moon that I kept it as well. Guess it always had too much sentimental value to me to flip at a younger age (maybe that would have been questioned if I needed the £££)!

@arca9, cheers! I might give that a go then for future posts. I’ve got a few really cool things to upload over the next few weeks :grin:

So… met a really cool guy in person that I’ve made a few online purchases from before.

Thought this was worth meeting for due to the amount, as we’re both based in London.

Definitely my favourite pick up so far:

Really happy with this purchase - especially those blister packs which are insanely hard to come by in that condition (back is flawless).

3 Likes