building decks for a short film

Hi all. if this is the wrong forum please let me know.

currently for my final film project of university i am writing a “Yu-gi-oh” style parody using the pokemon trading card game
We are looking into building two decks to use.
The first is the hero’s deck. Which is designed to an understated deck.
The second deck is the villain’s deck which we want to be over powered and seemingly unbeatable.

we have been trying to build decks with what we have but we recently got a small budget to buy cards. i could really use some help figuring out what cards to use and buy.
We have a $300 budget to buy cards with.
any help on what to buy and how to build these decks would be incredibly helpful.

2 Likes

Put Celebi XY93 and Rock Guard in the hero’s deck. Down to the wire, both have 1 prize card remaining and the villain attacks for lethal on Celebi and his Pokémon gets taken down to 70 HP by Rock Guard. Smug, he reaches for his last prize card. “Hang on”, our hero says as he flips his Celebi coin, which comes up heads. “I shuffle Celebi and all cards attached to it into my deck, and you don’t get a prize card”

The hero begins his turn and once more draws his 1 Rock Guard from the top of his deck, and attaches it to his fresh Celebi. He attacks to put another damage counter on all the opponent’s Pokémon and passes the turn.

The villain evolves his Mewtwo-EX with Mewtwo Spirit Link attached into Mega Mewtwo and attaches an energy to it, then attacks once again. This time Celebi’s coin flip comes up tails. Rock Guard knocks out the attacking Pokémon. Both players take their last prize card, and it’s sudden death!

Our hero only has Mew-EX with 10 damage counters on it and a lowly Nincada with dig on his bench, which he puts into play as Mew doesn’t have any energy and he only has an escape rope in hand. The villain puts into play his Robo Substitute with 2 damage counters on it, with the Mega Mewtwo on the bench ready to come in next turn.

Our hero topdecks Professor Juniper. In his final gambit he plays the escape rope, putting Mew-Ex into play. Our villan has no choice but to switch in Mega Mewtwo. With nothing to discard, he simply draws 7 cards. Our hero is relieved.

→ Insert cheesy one-liner

The hero evolves Nincada into Ninjask (B&W Dragons Exalted) and searches his deck for a Shedinja to put into play. (Roaring Skies) He only has one energy in hand to put on Mew-EX, a rainbow energy, putting another damage counter on it. Not fully understanding the situation, the villain grins.

“I attack with hopeless scream” our hero plainly states, pointing to the attack on his Shedinja. “It does 50 damage per damage counter on Mew, and since your Mega Mewtwo is weak to psychic it deals 1100 damage to it”.

→ Insert cheering crowd
“OVER A THOUSAND!!!” …the villain hangs his head in defeat.

6 Likes

that is incredible. better than anything we could possibly come up with. thank you so much.

Haha, thanks, I play the Mew-EX / Shedinja deck all the time, so I’ve lived this story :stuck_out_tongue:
Also can you ask for a better hero vs. villain fight than Mew vs. Mewtwo?
This should also be way under budget, but still look cool :blush:

yeah you’re rught. Mew Vs Mewtwo is a perfect set up to represent pokemon good vs evil.
i got stuck on like Giratina or Darkrai i didnt think of these two.

Copied one of my variants from PTCGO if it helps you:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 3 Celebi PR-XY XY93
* 4 Nincada DRX 10
* 3 Ninjask DRX 11
* 3 Shedinja ROS 11
* 3 Mew-EX PR-XY XY126

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 1 Skyla BKP 122
* 3 Professor Juniper PLB 84
* 2 Robo Substitute Team Flare Gear PHF 102
* 3 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 4 Frozen City PLF 100
* 3 Colress PLS 118
* 3 Tierno KSS 39
* 3 Switch ROS 91
* 2 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 2 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 1 Professor Birch’s Observations PRC 134
* 1 Rock Guard PLF 108

##Energy - 14

* 8 Grass Energy BLWEnergy 5
* 3 Blend Energy {G} {R} {P} {D} DRX 117
* 3 Rainbow Energy BKT 152

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Now that I see what I copied it’s not the main one I typically use but it’s close enough. Skyla isn’t necessary, Tierno isn’t ideal and so on.

Frozen City is there mainly to put damage counters on Mew but also helps spreading around damage to the opponent. Best of luck on your project, and would love to see what you come up with if that’s allowed!

1 Like

cant thank you enough for the help