Booster box preservation

Just a question regarding booster boxes, Does the plastic wrapping deteriorate over time? Eg longer than it’s lasted atm. Is there a way to keep them as pristine as possible. I’ve ordered an acrylic case to keep mine all mint but was wondering if the plastic and the logos can fade over time etc

Jake

It actually does Jake. I’ve compared boxes from new cases (kept in the dark forever) and those that spent some time in the light and the colors are off and the wrap is slightly looser and wrinkled. Of course there’s exceptions but generally.
My acrylic guy said the non museum quality acrylic/plastic/plexiglass cases actually magnify the harmful light particles so I’m a little worried about those boxes long term.

4 Likes

Gary, I have my 1st edition fossil box in one of those plastic/acrylic display cases. I keep it away from sunlight in my dark safe 24/7. Do you think I’m alright? Should I get rid of the display case just to be safe? Thanks

Sounds like the perfect set up to me. Well done:)

1 Like

I would go to an art store and get a piece of archival/non acidic Mylar (used for protection of high dollar artworks) that you can put between the bottom of the box and the case. Just an extra step to protect whoever side the box is resting on from having unwanted chemical reactions (sticking or eating the wrap).

1 Like

I wrap all of my sealed stuff in regular kitchen plastic wrap before I put it into my safe just for a layer of protection. Periodically I’ve been checking the first box I’ve tried this method on and it hasn’t damaged the factory wrapping after about a year, so far.

1 Like

Bit strange, wouldn’t think having kitchen wrap attached to something for a long period of time would be good

1 Like

Yeh wouldn’t the kitchen wrap get all stuck on it and potentially stick the box wrapping? I would have though acrylic case would be best way :blush: atm mines just in a pelican foam padded case in my wardrobe

1 Like

It hugs the box but does not stick no. There is nothing adhesive about it. No staining, discoloration or anything wrong at all really. I got the idea from watching how some suggest you package cards for shipping without using tape

1 Like

Who needs protection? My booster box doesn’t wear a condom. It just stays hidden in the dark… is my post too over the top? lol

1 Like

Best way to preserve a sealed box is to open it! j/k. But in all seriousness if its properly cased just keep it away from the sun, moisture and extreme temperatures up or down. You will be fine.