Biggest grading surprise?

What was the biggest surprise you ever had when grading a card?

Either it be you got a higher grade then you expected or a lower grade. Did you resubmit or were you okay with the grade? What company did you use?

I went through my friends old collection for him to “see if he had anything good” back in 2018 I believe.

It was stored in an old pencil box, sorted by type and rubber banded in bundles. Immediately I was expecting not to find anything in great shape. Some cards were sleeved but it seemed like the random whims of a young kid which ones got that treatment. I went through, pile by pile, not finding anything much of note but enjoying the nostalgia together. The last stack to go through was the fire types. About halfway through - WITHOUT A SLEEVE - was a Charizard ex from Fire Red Leaf Green. I was so surprised as it was one of few EX era cards in the whole box.

Somehow it was in absolutely flawless condition, so I sent it in with my next PSA submission for him and it amazingly brought in the PSA 10 grade.

He is not a card collector at all so I fully expected him to cash out on it to put towards his other hobbies, especially when it neared $10k in the 2020 boom; but he still has it proudly displayed along with his video game collection which makes me happy because it was fun memory we share.

21 Likes

Wow that’s really cool. Even better that he still has it

My biggest grading surprise will always be my Charizard Mega Battle Greninja! I bought it for $80 in a CGC 8, then proceeded to waffle on if I wanted to grade it once PSA opened lower cost tiers last year. Finally decided to crack it and send it, mainly because my Greninja collection was mainly all in PSA and I wanted to get it added to my Registry. With the raw card hitting about $400 at the time, it was way beyond hope to get another one and grade that.

So I crack it and send it off through my middle-man, months pass and I have literally had nightmares of it coming back a 6 or 7. Hoping for a 9, but would have been okay with a straight 8. But somehow, it came back a 10!!! Certainly is the centerpiece of my Greninja collection now! It also happens to be my favorite Greninja card, so to have it in a 10 is amazing to me.

10 Likes

Cracking a PSA 7 Skyridge Holo and having it come back a PSA 10.

2 Likes

Wild the 7 came back a 10

My buddy graded his Luigi Pikachu Half Art with PSA which got a 4.

We cracked it, sent it to BGS, and it came back a BGS 10.

5 Likes