My First PSA Submission

So this was my first time sending in a card to PSA to get graded. Wanted to learn how to do it because once I eventually find all my Pokemons from storage there are some cool cards (pleaseee Shadowless Charizard be in one piece) that I want to get graded and also a bunch of autographed baseballs and baseball cards to get authenticated by PSA. Also wanted to use something that could be valuable if it got a 10 and not just some random card to waste the money.

Found this card in a plastic bag mixed in with some of my other old Pokemon stuff and I’m glad young me (Kinda sounds like a rapper) had a sleeve and toploader for this card. I don’t remember at all getting any Team Rocket set cards because I remember only collecting Base, Jungle and stopping after Fossil sets when I was young but I guess I got some Team Rocket packs at some point. With my untrained eyes, everything looked pretty clean to me with the card so I wasn’t expecting anything less than a 9 and I guess I was right lol, figured it at least had the chance for a 10. On the back I think looking at it now the centering might be a little towards the left and there are two very small white spots that are on the edge of the corners but not the blue. I might go with BGS for my other stuff cause I like the idea of seeing the different sub grades, but shall see when the time comes.

3 Likes

Yea well look at it from this perspective. And hear me out, because I was in a very, very similar situation to this about a year or so ago. I have a very good idea of how you feel.

So, here are the facts:

You found the card in a plastic bag.
You didn’t even know that you had it.
Its your first submission to PSA, and instead of coming back a perfect grade, it comes back only one grade shy from perfect.
You can still sell that card, and depending on what level you submitted it at, easily get your money back and then some.

The reason I included that last bit as a ‘fact’ is due to the sale history on EBay (Probstein sold for $48 recently, link below).

www.ebay.com/itm/253275924511?ViewItem=&item=253275924511

Here is the other funny part - I found this exact same card in my collection I dug out of my garage about a year ago. Only I chose to make my first submission to Beckett.

Here is my card:

Now, it only sold for $26 on EBay. That’s less than half of Probstein’s recent sale price. But I too was (and still am) very new to grading, and thought that was one of my better cards. Well, it was really good, but sure, I felt a little disappointed. Overall, however, here is the most disappointing thing - our cards have (technically) the exact same grade (9). But the fact is, a PSA graded card almost always sells better than a BGS card. There are exceptions, of course (9.5’s and 10’s) but that is the general rule of thumb. And honestly, I don’t know if my card would have gotten a PSA 9, an 8 would have been more reasonable to expect. And regarding the centering, look up PSA and if you want, Beckett’s grading measures on their websites. It does give you some good information for future reference.

I guess all I’m trying to help you realize is that it is a long learning experience, and, although you may have some gold in your garage with your cards, it takes a lot of time, effort and patience to see the grading and selling process out til the end. You’re going to have cards come back lower grades than what you had hoped for. More times than not. Especially when you had hoped for a 10. But is in our nature as people to always hope for a 10, and that’s kind’ve the cool nostalgia in it (for me at least), because it is like opening packs as a kid and having high expectations, only to usually get moderate satisfaction. And then, one day, you open your first Charizard, and holy cat s*** batman… I’ll never forget that moment (lol).

So try and curb your expectations a bit, and realize that, if every person got a 10 back for cards they thought there were going to be 10’s, there really wouldn’t be much of a market. Keep sending cards in, and I’m willing to bet that you will be pleasantly surprised with a card’s grade sooner than later. And if you want to try Beckett, go for it man. Only one way to truly find out how you feel about both graders. But I’m sticking to PSA mainly, because they are simply better, and their cards will sell better.

4 Likes

Wow what are the chances we both had a similar experience with the same card haha. I wasn’t going to grade everything I have, just a few of them main cards cause I know I have a bunch of Shadowless and some 1st Editions. I’m not too worried about the grade I got cause I was expecting it to be at least a 9. I would definitely have a hard time selling the older stuff cause of how much nostalgia I have with it, but if some of them come back with higher grades that are worth a good bit of money, then I will have some thinking to do haha.

I didn’t know that about PSA being preferred a little more than BGS for Pokemon. I’ve been more into Baseball cards lately and it’s kind of a mix with them. I’ve kind of only see PSA/DNA authentication ever on autographed baseball cards instead of the BGS though.

Thanks for all the help! :blush:

1 Like

I wish PSA listed subgrades on their website at least or give us some hints why they don’t get the 10.

Half of my 9s look just as good, if not better than my 10s lol

2 Likes

Well let me rephrase that… People prefer PSA more for Pokemon. I can’t vouch for baseball cards and stuff hahaha :stuck_out_tongue:

Right? Like on one of the 45 papers you have to send in with it could have a grading checklist or something that you get back lol

Pretty amazing that you just found it in a bag and it got a 9! I say congratulations! ha :blush: