Big eBay Shill Bidding Attempt Stopped by ZandG

Great detective work by @jcincy101 :dizzy:

The consignee was going to consign like 6 figures worth of items. The first two listed were a WATA 9.8 Pokemon Silver and a PSA 10 “double holo” Neo Revelation Magikarp.

The accusation is that this guy was using two different accounts to bid on his own items. One directly linked to his instagram and the other he opened up using his USA middleman as a shipping address. Both accounts were tied to him.

If you have two accounts and you use them both to bid, you can set the current bid to an arbitrarily high price.

36 Likes

The amount of people engaging in immoral behavior in this hobby is incredibly disappointing to see. It runs rampant on Instagram, and it can get exhausting to deal with. I can’t say I’m surprised, but what I can say is that James’ response to the situation is stellar. We need more people with integrity like him across all levels of the hobby. I have nothing but respect for him.

23 Likes

The username sounds familiar. Is the shill bidder a user here?

2 Likes

Blows my mind how you have all that mula worth of cards , such a huge following on Instagram, and you have the time and put in the effort to shill your cards in such a way … wow :pinched_fingers:t3::pinched_fingers:t3:

2 Likes
25 Likes

:popcorn:

3 Likes

Just finished watching the video. So he was going to list eight PSA 10 1st Ed Neo Gen Lugias. That’s a lot to hit the market. Wow, sounds like someone is cashing out.

4 Likes

@Dirge Why not if you can guarantee getting the price you want?

Wonder why someone does this? Just for the money? $160k+ in cards and you want an extra 5-10%? I mean money is nice but its hard for me to accept that kind of mindset.

1 Like

I’m guessing he’s trying to jump into crypto & has some serious fomo. He tried to start his own eth nft project awhile back & got a lot of hate for it.

3 Likes

I would say that theory could be correct. He bought cards from me twice before and paid in crypto both times.

1 Like

I agree with you, and it is disappointing to see. I’m not that surprised, though. For the amounts of money being dealt with, people will end up doing stupid, immoral things. Sub the word “pokemon cards” for “drugs” “lambourghini” and “gucci” and you’ll see similar behavior.

3 Likes

That’s why i deleted my old IG, started new and it’s been nice not seeing that hype clique and their content anymore

5 Likes

39 Likes

The relationship between money and morality isn’t linear. I see a lot of people think this way…reality is, any one of us could do this if we so wanted. Judge someone’s character not by their collection, but by their actions.

Watched the video, the name sounded familiar. Wasn’t too surprised when I put the dots together. Crazy how time flies.

Hats off to Z&G, very commendable behavior.

3 Likes

1 Timothy 6:10

19 Likes

Loser behaviour. This kind of fraud will hopefully catch up to him eventually, especially if he leaves the relative shelter of the pokemon TCG/crypto worlds. Scammers are always drawn to these markets that feel like the wild west and kind of are. It’s sad how collecting is inevitably tainted by these people, especially the last few years.

This was handled well by Z. I’m a regular buyer of his and will remain so (although I wish he provided better shipping options for international buyers). His youtube channel is also great.

2 Likes

58 Likes

People have no shame :joy:

5 Likes

I can’t speak on international law, but in America shill bidding is a form of fraud. The Donnelly Act has been used by prosecutors against people accused of shill bidding in online auctions . Being charged under this Act can result in a maximum four year prison sentence, and a fine of $100,000 for individuals and $1 million for businesses.

Shill bidding may also be considered a form of wire fraud, which is a federal offense under 18 U.S. Code Section 1343. Maximum penalties for the crime of wire fraud can include two decades imprisonment.

This guy is in Australia, so maybe it’s perfectly acceptable over there. But since “Charizard_king24” is an American, he should probably not publicly admit to committing fraud or he might find himself investigated by the FDEFT or FBI…

21 Likes

that charizard king guy has always been toxic af. he makes stories like this all the time whining about drama but is one of the biggest drama hot heads himself

29 Likes