Bbobrob's collection thread--just a hop, skip, and a jump away!

Ah, gotcha. I thought all the ones in your initial post had already been consolidated into the collection. It is probably the biggest rainbow (in terms of 0-360° coverage) of any card, so it rightfully deserves a spot! :triumph:

2 Likes

With my first ZenMarket order arriving, I was able to knock out a good chunk of Japanese Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluffs, so I thought it would be a good time to update! (I’m going by the English set names because I’m more familiar with them)

Neo Series

Just as an interesting aside, I like the lighter color and thinner outline of the Japanese Neo Genesis Skiploom much better–it gives the card a more airy/less heavy feel. The colors on the Hoppip and Jumpluff are also ever so slightly different, but the differences really stand out with the Skiploom.

Expedition/Aquapolis

Just missing the unlimited Aquapolis holo Jumpluff. Since no unlimited E1 Hoppip has ever surfaced (you can read the interesting documentation of unlimited E1 here), I’m counting E1 as complete.

Another interesting aside here is that, before receiving the Japanese E-series Jumpluffs, I didn’t really like the Aquapolis Jumpluff. And I now realize it’s because Jumpluff’s color is just really weird in the English version of the holo card (either holo or reverse holo)–he takes on this purplish color that just looks off. Gross!

EX Team Rocket Returns

I have the 1st edition and unlimited version of each card, but I’m missing almost all the code variants for now. I still have some things sitting at the ZenMarket warehouse, so I’ll probably try to complete the code variants while I still have stuff I need to ship here.

Secret Wonders

1st edition and unlimited complete!

HeartGold/SoulSilver

1st edition complete! Unlimited L1 is another set that is extremely rare or just doesn’t exist (see quuador’s post here if interested), so I’m counting this set as complete.

Dragons Exalted

1st edition is complete, but I’m still missing the unlimited Jumpluff here. Unlimited versions of XY and BW Japanese sets are generally harder to find, so I may have lucked out in finding the Hoppip/Skiploom here. We’ll see how long it takes to find the Jumpluff!

Steam Siege

1st edition complete, and unlimited should also be complete! But cards are either incoming or sitting at ZenMarket for now.

More modern sets: Lost Thunder, Evolving Skies, and upcoming Paldea Evolved (or Japanese set Clay Burst)

These should also be complete with what I have sitting at ZenMarket (including the mirror holos for Evolving Skies), but here’s what I have in hand for now.

I also made a little progress on some English cards, but I’ve mostly been focusing on Japanese for now, so I can save on how many parcels I need to ship from ZenMarket.

1st edition Neo Genesis and reverse holo EX Team Rocket Returns

Thanks again to @mthursty for the reverse holo Hoppip!

World Championship and reverse holo Aquapolis

Finished the World Championship set! And acquired the reverse holo Aquapolis Hoppip and Skiploom for now.

I also had to rearrange the binder to accommodate the Japanese cards, but I’m still playing around with how I want to organize them in the binder–for example, whether I want to break up the Hoppip, Skiploom, and Jumpluff species collections into separate parts of the binder. I’d optimally like to maintain the evolutionary lines in the binder as I had before (and are as arranged in these pictures), but this becomes a problem when whole lines are not available, like for the World Championship cards and especially the EX Team Rocket Returns code variants. We’ll see where I end up after it’s more filled out, I think.

I also had a good amount of non-TCG things arrive in the ZenMarket package, but I’ll separate that into a different post for later :slightly_smiling_face: (Also the updates to the Expedition reverses)

12 Likes

So good to see the different variants of same cards side by side, really loving that you chose to go in the deep end of japanese variant game :smile: looking forward to your non tcg post!

2 Likes

An update! This time with a focus on the non-TCG items, with progress with Expedition reverses as an opener.

Expedition Reverse Holos

These are the newest additions following my original post (Caterie and onwards are new). I’ve moved into a 12-page binder, and I like the look of it a lot more for this particular collection. I’m close to halfway done with the set now, but I’ve put off most of the rares/starter Pokemon, so acquisitions will probably slow down as I search for deals. My preference has slowly shifted towards cards in nicer condition, but with the higher prices of the missing half of the set, I may start to pick up a few MP/HP cards again.

Non-TCG Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff Items

There’s always tons of non-TCG things to discover and explore, which always makes these pick-ups interesting and fun. I’m mostly focusing on flat-ish items for now, but I’ll probably eventually end up picking up figures and other more-3D items (the Re-Ment figures are really enticing!).

Pan stickers

These are always fun to see, as I think every Pokemon that exists has a bunch of different pan stickers, with some of the poses being somewhat unique/not often seen. For example, the expressions of the Skiploom set, which are especially cute! I probably don’t have a complete collection, as I feel like the number of Jumpluff stickers is too few.

Amada Retsuden Stickers

More stickers! I especially like the attack ones and the holofoil ones (they all have a different holofoil pattern). Definitely not complete here.

More Random Stickers and a Jumpluff Menko

As I’m expecting with a lot of non-TCG items, I’ll often end up with things that I don’t fully know what they are or what set or collection they’re from. The first two stickers here fall in that category. The top left one is by Top, the top middle one by Ensky, and the top right one says Zenkoku Zukan. The bottom left looks like a promotional sticker related to the Pokemon the Movie 2000 release found in Sapporo Ichiban ramen? And lastly, the middle bottom item is part of a “Kakumen Retsuden” set (?) but they’re also called Menkos, as far as I’m aware.

Sticker Holder

Also picked up a cute Generation II seal/sticker holder to hold all the sqaure stickers and other small items!

Tiny stickers and others

Here are some super tiny stickers (holofoil!). Not sure what they are or who made them, or why they have the romanized Japanese name on them, but they sure are shiny. I almost thought they were some type of counterfeit item, but I saw some similar looking things in @joponnes Grimer/Muk collection, which was nice to see!

Going down the picture, next up is some Hoppip thing by Meiji (it looks like maybe you can just hang a bunch of these in a chain?), a Skiploom pog-like item (also called Menkos?), and a couple of Gotouchi badges, which seem to be regional souvenir items.

Playing cards, Merlin sticker, and Meiji promo card

Both the playing cards have Pichu on the back, but the one on the left has no copyright information, so it’s possibly a fake (@omic I don’t think I saw the back in your list of Pokemon poker cards—I can take a picture of the back if you’d like).

My251 Stickers

Bandai and Sapporo Ichiban Items

The top two rows are by Bandai. I’m not sure what the first row came with, or if they were standalone collectibles. The cards on the second row came with little figures that you can see on the back (according to @joponnes, there are a bunch of variations with different backs :sweat_smile:—I don’t know if I’ll try to get more or not). The Hoppip pictured here apparently has served some purpose, as it came with a few of these cards with little Hamtaro stamps on them. I think it’s kind of fun thinking that some teacher or parent might’ve been using these things functionally somehow! The last row are items found in Sapporo Ichiban ramen packs, I think.

Zukan card, Bandai Anime Card, and Card Sleeve

I just realized I should’ve just taken pictures of the anime card and the sleeve landscape, as it makes no sense to put them in portrait here :sweat_smile:

Various other items

On the left are stamps, and in the middle are these iron-on Skiploom patches. I was really excited when I initially saw them, but when I had them in hand, it was obvious the quality on them was not quite up to par. I might take them out some day and try to fix their wonky eyes with some embroidery. If not for the weird eyes, I would love these little things.

And finally, on the right is a Hoppip BIG Hyper Card—that’s what it says on the item. And these things really are big. Palm-sized big. When I saw the listing for the item, there were just four of these with nothing really for scale, so I was surprised at how large they ended up being (I thought they were pog-sized at first).

A Pokemon clear file

A Pokemon handkerchief

And lastly, my current favorite non-TCG items:

Pokemon Battle/VS Cards

Still missing two of these from the Generation II sets. The Hoppip line seemed to have gotten quite a bit of attention with this release! (RIP to the Hoppip getting hit with the 4x effective Powder Snow). I also have no clue what the Jumpluff attack is supposed to be. If anyone wants to venture a guess, I’m all ears.

Keiko Fukuyama Postcards

These are just absolutely adorable and precious. I’m still missing a few with Hoppip/Skiploom, but all of her postcards/illustrations are just beautiful. Her TCG illustrations are also top notch—I might just have to start another artist collection!

That last postcard doesn’t have any Hoppip or Skiploom, but it came as a set and is adorable anyway, so I’m including it here. I have no clue how that Chinchou (who seems gigantic, btw) is just hanging off of that building with no care in the world.

Recently, I’ve mostly been focused on progressing the Expedition reverse holo collection (while also picking up random cards and getting more distracted from these collection goals), but I’ll hopefully return to acquiring Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff items/cards sometime soon!

13 Likes

I don’t even remember everything that’s on that thread, it’s a mess I have yet to clean up
Your contribution is precious and very appreciated.
Feel free to add, thank you

Also those reverse are nice, good job and good luck with the set

1 Like

Oh boy, been waiting for this day (even though i only had time now to go through it) and do i love your additions! It’s so fun to see all the similarities and differences between our gens, the similarities remind me of my additions and journeys of completing some mini goals and the differences show again the width of pokemon merch which i love to see. My thirst to see more also grows when you are saying that you might be moving into figures, i won’t even try to hide that i want to see that happen!

These toppu seal gum johto stickers actually have two variants (or at least two) with tiny art differences, but the sets are some of the rarest sticker releases so you might have some hunting to do if you want whole evolution lines, but i know you want to complete those mini puzzles they form :sunglasses:

This is actually where the differences between our gens hit in, i don’t think i have any with romanized names so these might be from different sets as these kinds of mini stickers seem to be surprisingly common in japan, nevertheless what they are the look very nice :slight_smile:

Very jealous that hoppip got a meiji promo card, they are some of the nicest looking non tcg cards but i have zero reason to buy one so i can’t allow myself to do so, lucky you :smile:

I believe the first stickers also came with figure boxes but i can’t remember right now which figures they were but i vividly remember seeing photos of them connected to some figure sets. And the second row ones are again where the differences of our gens are present, i haven’t digged any info if also gen 2 kids mini cards have different back variants, but if they do i strongly suggest that you start collecting them because of the reason being me wanting to see them together :sunglasses:

Don’t understand how these sets aren’t more popular, some unique artworks of pokemon battling each others seems like a no-brainer hit to me! (Also, if that hoppip is probably suffering from that powder snow i don’t think wooper is enjoying that grass handling from jumpluff either, and perhaps all that fire hitting your dudes might also hurt :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed!

I originally was going to not dive into figures yet, because I don’t have a place to display them, but I don’t have a place to display a lot of things I have, so I figured this shouldn’t be a limiting reason. And a lot of the figures look really cute too :joy:

I was hoping, with your vast knowledge, you’d help identify some of these things! Now I semi-know what to look for when completing that particular set—and I’d like to see what this mini-puzzle is!

This was another item I was fooled by the size of. The picture the seller took made me think they were just normal-sized square stickers. When they came in, I was surprised at how tiny they were, as I hadn’t seen these tiny things before.

I agree! These cards breathe some more life into the Pokemon (with unique poses, like you pointed out) and really make it feel like a battle in the game taken different form. I also like that all of them are recognizable moves in the games (except Jumpluff’s :sweat_smile:—I still have no clue what he’s doing. It looks like he’s trying to Seismic Toss the Wooper or something…).

I haven’t picked up too much in a while (as I haven’t actively been searching on the Japanese merchant sites), but I’ll get around to it again soon!

1 Like

I’m merely passing the things i’ve learnt from @nidokingdom who is the absolute beast when it comes to non-tcg knowledge, i took a screenshot of one of his ig posts too where the whole line is shown, at least one hoppip and jumpluff are also on his for sale list so you probably can contact him about them if you want, he also most of times has a bunch of extras in his back pocket for species collectors of most random and coolest things japan has ever made :smile:

You are not the only one, i too was expecting the size of amada stickers when i first time bougt them, seems like the sellers of those make that the first experience of them for all of us

2 Likes

Awesome, I will probably contact him sometime for the Jumpluff one then (I see it on his Instagram)! I know he has a website about Pokemon stickers—I actually ran into it first on Ebay, where he has a rare World Hobby Fair Jumpluff sticker for sale. I hope to eventually pick that one up too, but I still have to get over the sticker shock :sweat_smile: :joy:

He really has a ton of cool non-TCG stuff! I’ll have to spend some time browsing through his Instagram.

Thanks a bunch for the information (and the introduction)! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wanted to squeeze in an update before the upcoming Secret Santa. It’ll be mostly a non-TCG update, as I was trying to take advantage of some Buyee coupons, but a complete set of Japanese Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff cards is also pretty much done–just missing one card now, as far as I know!

Expedition Reverse Holos

Not much progress here (just the bottom row of reverses are newly acquired), but worth mentioning Dragonite 43, Mewtwo 56, and Mew 19 are also on the way. The Mewtwo and Mew were listed as MP or HP but didn’t look that bad in the pictures–hopefully the holos aren’t too scratched up!

TCG Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff species collection

Wrapped up the 1st edition and unlimited code variants for the Japanese Ex Team Rocket Returns set. This little mini-set was really fun to collect—I enjoyed hunting these variations!

Also wrapped up unlimited Hoppip + Jumpluffs with these last few coming in (BW5, XY11, and E2). All unlimited Japanese cards are now complete!

Some more additions:

And with these, all Japanese Hoppips and Skiplooms should be complete! For Jumpluffs, I should just be missing the mirror holo from Lost Thunder/Super Burst Impact. This card should have been included in one of the listings I purchased, but the seller had sent the normal holo version instead. Bummer!

Non-TCG Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff items

Tomy, Bandai, and Re-Ment figures and plush

Starting off with a few figures and a plush. The plump-looking Hoppip on the left is a small plush from Tomy that can also reverse itself into a pokeball. The middle two are Bandai finger puppets from 2000/2001. The Hoppip and Skiploom seem to be easier to find than the Jumpluff, for whatever reason, but I think all of them also have a rarer more translucent/clear version. The small figure with the level ball on the right is also from Tomy.

I’m not huge on sealed things, but this box wasn’t much at all and seemed like a pretty neat item, so I picked it up. It’s a sealed box for the Bandai Skiploom finger puppet seen above.

Also picked up an absolutely gorgeous Re-Ment figure with all the little grassy guys

Assorted stickers

From left to right, the stickers look like they’re from Meiji, Nissui, Zenkoku Zukan? (top), Amada Retsuden (bottom–this one is also glittery! But it doesn’t show up well in the picture), and Merlin (don’t know which series). I especially like the Meiji and Amada Retsuden ones, probably because they’re shiny/sparkly and because it’s always nice to see fresh poses.

Tazos and little circle things

My first Tazo (on the right)—not sure what language it’s in. And on the left are these small circle things—I don’t know what company is behind these, but they do have a little hand on the back that looks like the one that’s found on a few Meiji items with the rock, paper, scissors hands. If anyone knows what these are, let me know!

Metal things

Got a Skiploom Meiji battle coin (a little bit more about them can be found here), a Hoppip metal figure keychain, a Bandai magnet, and a Jumpluff enamel charm by Ichiban Kuji as part of the “Pokemon for you” campaign.

Pokemon Center Can Badge, Topps embossed card, and Battle/VS card

A really big Hoppip badge, a sweet embossed Skiploom Topps card (I didn’t know they were embossed and was pleasantly surprised when it came in), and the second-to-last VS card I need for the Gen II Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff set. (Hoppip being tortured yet again by another super effective move)

Various other items

Jumpluff bromide and Pokemon Center calendar postcard

Meiji film frame

Pokemon Center disaster emergency contact cards

(Anything that has Pokemon on it can and will be sold… and bought)

Pokemon stamp

Tomy Pokemon tissues

Felt a bit weird buying tissue packs, but the packaging and patterns are really dang cute. Bonus Hoppip and Wooper on the borders too!

Unofficial Pokepark magnet

The seller said these were unofficial Pokemon merchandise connected to the Taiwan Pokepark. The quality control was clearly not there (the cut is obviously off), but it’s a cool lenticular piece. I’m happy to have it in the collection!

Keiko Fukuyama Postcards

Saved my favorite for last again—obtained the other set of Keiko Fukuyama postcards! There’s so much going on in each postcard, they are a complete joy to look at.

That’s all for now. Now that the Japanese TCG species collection is pretty much done, it’s time to focus on English again!

17 Likes

I love you species collectors, because you keep high the non-tcg tag and give us Scientists some work to do with new material every time.

This time let me be here for coins/tazos.
I like shiny round things.
Can you add pictures of the back as well?

3 Likes

And I’ve never seen the new Baba hoppip! Needless to say I’m quite pleased.

3 Likes

Great update! That log figure is brilliant!

2 Likes

@omic Sure, here are pictures of the back (not sure if you wanted the Tazo too—I think the language is… Greek?). The coin things are made of paper, are thin, and the Mercari listing called them menkos (not sure if that helps at all). They seem to be punched out from something, as you can see the little paper overhangs. Would be curious if you could track down what it is!

@brendantheclayboy Yes, the Hoppip is great! I still need to go and organize some things, but I think I dug through a bulk bin some time back to start a Yukiko Baba artist collection—they have a distinct style and a long history in the TCG!

@TheMarillFoundation The log figure is what convinced me to start incorporating figures into the collection! I don’t really have any space for displaying things now, so I thought just collecting flat/flatish items would be best for now, but the Re-Ment figure was really too enticing. And if I was getting that one figure, why stop there?

5 Likes

You had me at

but damn how good looking tcg cards you included too! I’ll never get tired of ex era code variants, and that Mina Nakai hoppip is just a thing of beauty!

The non tcg part however is just a magnificient read to go through, you’ve included so much of my favourite card/item types from my beloved topps to the Keyko Fukuyama post cards, and in between some hoppip tissues that scratch my itch for niche items just right. Also have to mention that re-ment figure including the whole evolution line that’ll just force you into making a full display cabinet at some point. One of my favourite collection threads!

4 Likes

Yes! The code variants are especially fun to chase down (especially in Japanese, with 1st edition + unlimited). Maybe because they take just the right amount of determination without being overly burdensome/tortuous (like some unlimited Japanese sets). Still have to fill out the English code variants, but there aren’t as many to find :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m extra glad you enjoyed the non-TCG additions! Every time I take a look at your additions or think about your collection is, I get inspired to find more things to add. The embossed Topps is really cool–can’t wait to finish that one. And there are more Topps series to collect after that! A display is not in the stars at the moment (not enough space at home), but I’ll figure out something in the future, as I have other things I’d like to not have to live in boxes their whole life.

Glad you stopped by!

3 Likes

I have to say the japanese code variant hunt has indeed been perhaps the most thrilling hunt i’ve experienced, so many listings checked in hopes of those exact numbers and letters, the thrilling joy of finding that missing piece that had to be hunted for months and then paying 100 yen for it, and the final chapter of buying some ex era bulk lots in hopes of finding the last missing card, that was truly an enjoyable collecting experience!

And thanks, it does feel nice (a bit odd too tho, haven’t used to it) to think that my collection is inspiring someone, this forum concentrates so much on tcg side that i usually just consider myself as an oddball who hangs around with the cool kids but it’s nice that my posts have had some effect on people :smile: also, ditch those plates from your kitchen cabinet, that space can be filled with pokemon that need to be displayed

3 Likes

@bbobrob Such a unique collection, for sure one of a kind! I especially love the reverse holo collection I never even thought about collecting them but they look sooooo good. I also love checking out species collections like yours. There’s so many random Pokémon products and artworks I’ve never seen. Thank you for sharing and looking forward to the next update.

Also I know it’s dated a year ago, but I actually think cracking CGC slabs is easier than PSA. For some reason when I crack PSA’s 1 out of 4 will splinter and only partially crack open. I’m sure it’s user error :sweat_smile: but CGC’s always seem to neatly pop open right away for me.

3 Likes

Thanks for dropping by!

The reverse holo pages are fun to flip through for sure. I still have quite a ways to go, but it’s been a fun collecting experience so far! It’s also been interesting discovering random cards that are seemingly expensive out of nowhere—the reverse holo for Expedition Cubone, for example. Maybe it was a competitive staple or something? Or is somehow propped up by being a Komiya art? I’m really not sure.

Every time I do a search for non-TCG, I find so many cool new items. I would love to branch into non-TCG set collections too, but I don’t think my budget could handle it.

Good to hear about the slabs! Even if it’s been a year, I still haven’t cracked my Hoppip out yet :sweat_smile: but he’ll probably be free with the next update, as I have another PSA slab to crack out too.

5 Likes

Agreed on random cards being expensive. I went to buy ____'s Kyogre PLAY Promo 019 to complete something I’m working on, but I decided I wasn’t willing to spend $50 on a card where I thought the art was “meh”, just to complete a set. So I just skipped it.

Jeez what are you waiting for! I usually crack slabs once a month so I have critical mass to do a few at a time. Doesn’t take more than a few minutes per slab. Looking forward to the next update!

3 Likes