Pokémon Meiji Coins - Informational Resource

Hello, it’s me again.

I was intrigued in those old coins and was trying to use calm mind and not destroy my wallet take a step back from doing something irremediable.

So far I know there are 2 released set, one covering gen1 and one covering gen1+2.

First Album (covering 151 pokemon, mew being in the first page):

Second (double) Album (covering 251 pokemon and more):
In the first page there are 5 character: Ash, Misty, Oak, Jessie and James.
In the last page there are celebi and 3 pikachu variants.

So, being 2 album, which one has only gen1 'mons, and the other having not just gen2 'mons but also gen1’s I have come to the conclusion that gen1 'mons all have a variant (pikachu have 5 and is bullying everyone else). One from the first release and one for the second release.

Quick examples:

Some can be found easily with a quick search, some others don’t.
And that’s the point of me making this thread.

I’m trying to list down (with images) the variants I’m finding, will post when I’m sure I won’t break the site doing so.

In the meantime if you have any infos on those 2 releases or about the johto albums (as you can see from the picture I’ve found already: those are mostly doubles from the first release, not from the second one) I beg you to reach out to me.

Ah, I’m not counting as a variant those coins with just different values on them but with the same artwork.

Thank You

12 Likes

Ive long wondered about these coins and love seeing more about them. Thank you for the write up.

1 Like

Thanks for making this post—the albums look really neat! For the Americans on the forum, it reminds me of when they were releasing all the state quarters and had cardboard fold outs of the map of the US with little slots for each state quarter—my little brother was enthusiastic about filling in the map.

@omic Do you know if the two variants with same picture/different HP are just Kanto originals and Johto re-releases? Or do the Johto Pokemon also have different HP variants. I’ve seen a Hoppip one before, but didn’t pick it up and was just curious if I should be on the lookout for different variants or not.

I didn’t find any johto variant so far, as for kanto, based on the charizard, I’m not sure if it is a johto release that changes the value or if there’ve been more kanto releases (since you can see the zardo with both different artworks in the front and different values on the back, confirming at least 3 coins instead of 2).
Historically it’s all so bland to me, Sorry I’m not helping

1 Like

No, that was helpful :slightly_smiling_face: Sometimes there’s only so much information that we can piece together.

Thanks!

1 Like

There was a post for the original 151 for Y67,000 on Mercari last week (all of them PLUS THE JACKET in great condition) and I missed it in a 24 hr period because i was doing research.
Where’s that salt video from the meme thread?

1 Like

Oh god damn it :rofl: those Kabutops coins look so nice!!! I’ve been looking for the protective portion of it for some time, same with the Kabuto one, but alas I always miss the sales :sweat_smile:

Thank you for sharing this info!

1 Like

By the way, what’s the difference between the ones posted, and these?

3 Likes

The ones on the photo you sent are from TOMY. The ones posted in this thread are from Meiji.

4 Likes

While this topic has been revived, I haven’t done much research into it, but the Johto coins seem to have silver and gold variants. I can post some pictures I found online when I get home.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking!

These tomy coins are another item I’d like to post about, I know about 4 variants.
Here goes my knowledge so far. Once I become human again I’ll do something about it

I’m blind! Please do it, it would be awesome, thanks

5 Likes

Here are what looks like a gold and silver Hoppip on Ebay:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 220807
Screenshot 2024-03-27 220810

And then there are some lots where it looks like one is clearly not like the others (and is goldish), so I don’t think it’s just a lighting thing:

The gold coins have the same HP and SP #s as their silver variant.

I haven’t searched much of these coins at all, but I don’t seem to see a lot of the gold ones, so maybe they’re rarer?

5 Likes

Omg I need that snorlax

1 Like

Do you know if 1st gen pokemon also have both silver and gold variants or only silver???

1 Like

I don’t think I saw any 1st gen gold ones in my quick search, but I’ll look a little more closely tonight. In the beginning, I wasn’t sure if some coins were gold or silver due to lighting, but I think if it’s actually gold, it should be pretty obvious (not just slightly, maybe, barely gold).

1 Like

Did a search on Mercari Japan and only found gold versions of Gen II pokemon, so I think Gen I doesn’t have these variants.

1 Like

Ahhhh that makes sense… I should’ve used my eyes and noticed the capitalized TOMY in the title of the listing I took it from :rofl: :sweat_smile: my bad!

Those larger coins (the Blastoise one), are they only for specific Pokémon, or did every Pokémon have one? Honestly I’ve tried searching for Tomy coins in general on mercari, but no dice, besides like 3 listings :skull: I could just be doing it wrong though lol

1 Like

This Is a fair and good question.
However, my answer won’t be as good.

I remember seeing these coins on eBay, but I can’t remember if at least there’s a larger and a smaller version of the same Pokémon or if between the smaller ones there’s the same Pokémon in different shape.

I’ll dig it when I’ll be more free and maybe open a thread for the tomy coins specifically, as I planned long time ago

Sorry for not being helpful right now