Bbobrob's collection thread--just a hop, skip, and a jump away!

Hi all, I started collecting just a few months back, so most everything is still in the works. I’m still deciding where I want to draw the line or where I want to focus for some collections, but for now, my main goals are:

• A Hoppip, Skiploom, and Jumpluff species collection

• A complete reverse holo Expedition set

• A complete Sekio artist collection

Let’s start with the round boys!

Add images

Being a second evolution, Jumpluff (+ pre-evolutions) gives rise to some nice looking binder pages! Unfortunately though, with his organization, some Hoppips are left out (I’m looking at you random Expedition Hoppip and second Lost Thunder Hoppip), so they were thrown into a back page for now. It should be a crime to print Hoppip set cards without the intention of printing the entire evolution line. The last Jumpluff to complete the unique arts–the EX Team Rocket Returns Jumpluff–was bought from @brendantheclayboy on Ebay before I knew it was his account :laughing:

Some favorites:

Favorite art set: EX Team Rocket Returns
Favorite Hoppip: Natta Wake Hoppip
Favorite Skiploom: Evolving Skies Skiploom
Favorite Jumpluff: VS set Erika’s Jumpluff

I started the collection with the intention of just one card for every unique art of Hoppip, Skiploom, or Jumpluff–cameos, variants, and non-TCG be damned. But after browsing through some other people’s species collections, I found that I didn’t dislike variant collection as much as I would have thought, so I’ve decided to adjust my collection goals to include all English and Japanese variants. I am excluding the Frankensteined English + Japanese E3 sample Hoppip for now though. Because it is a monstrosity (and way out of my budget). And I’ll also welcome whatever non-TCG items I decide to pick up along the way.

(I’ll eventually crack the Natta Wake Hoppip out of the case to put in the binder, but I haven’t had the heart to break it out yet)

I also made the little dudes via crochet, so these are obviously part of the collection too! (I need to make better stands for them. I’d like to make nice little wooden stands, but I have no experience with anything woodworking, so it will probably take a while before I give it a go)

Next up is my set collection goal: a complete reverse holo Expedition set.

I chose this because I really like the design of the E-reader cards, so I wanted to finish one of the WotC E-reader sets. Of the three, Expedition should be the most available and cheapest (as far as I’m aware), due to the lack of Crystal Pokemon. I chose to go for reverse holos, because I like reverse holos and the reverse holo versions of cards are cheaper than the holo versions (although with so many reverses, it probably ends up being more expensive to complete the set this way). These don’t really have any order at the moment because I feel I have too little of the set to organize it well, so I’m just slotting any new cards in as they come. Conditions will vary, but the nice thing I discovered about the Expedition reverse holos is that they still look pretty good despite some scratches/blemishes.

(One thing I’m not quite looking forward to is spending relatively large amounts of money to get essentially two copies of the other not-as-photogenic Expedition Charizard :sweat_smile:)

Lastly, we have an artist collection! There are a ton of great artists, and you could get completely caught up in collections of any of the long-standing artists of the TCG, so to ease myself in, I started with Sekio–just all unique cards, ignoring variants.

Sekio has great soft/cute illustrations, and best of all, they just recently started in the Pokemon TCG, so all the cards so far are cheap modern cards. I still have to catch up with the latest Salandit and Oranguru from Crown Zenith, but I think I should have all one of every unique card for now (let me know if anything is missing though!).

Some of my favorites are the Buizel, Bidoof, Chinchou, Shellder, and Bellsprout.

To complete this collection, I pretty much just ordered 80+% of it off of TCGplayer. And although it was great to assemble the mostly complete collection, I felt like the method of collecting was too… inorganic (i.e. just adding everything to a cart and checking out). When most everything is just modern commons/uncommons, there’s no real need to hunt for anything or scan for good prices. So I think, for the time being, for cheap cards for any artist collections, I’ll try to refrain from just ordering everything in bulk off TCGplayer and will try to obtain the cards through other means: picking through bulk at stores, trading with others, or picking up cards through collection buying. It probably will be more expensive and things will probably progress a lot slower, but I think I’ll find it more fun.

That’s everything that’s organized for now! I also just have a bunch of random artist cards and cute-looking cards stowed away, but I’ll have to figure out some way to give those cards some semblance of organization. I also started on the Vending Series very recently, but haven’t put them together yet (they’re just sitting in a pile). I’m eager to start either a Wooper+Quagsire species collection or a Chinchou+Lanturn species collection too, but I’ll try to stay a bit more focused for now (Lanturn has some really great looking cards though…).

If you made it all the way here, thank you for following along, and I’ll make updates as things roll in!

50 Likes

Absolutely wonderful collection thread you have here! What an amazing start. Glad to have contributed =)

I will always love your crochets and look forward to the many to come. The Jumpluff line is a wonderful species to collect, fabulous! They are blessed with amazing art work all around–great taste in favorite Hoppip, the Natta wake is profound. The CGC cases are a b*** to get out. If you haven’t already, cut all 4 corners. I would be nervous too!

And starting a reverse expedition set is an aweeeeesome goal. Oh man they already look amazing together and you still have quite a ways to go. That’s an exciting ride I can get behind. And a comforting one too that you can pick up one here, one there. The trainers look sooo good in reverse. One of my favorite Kinebuchi cards ever, the Switch #2, looks mighty fine in a reverse in slab =)

That pidgeot is looking mighty fine, as are those Masagos. The Blastoise!!!

Sekio’s art is amazing! I too went all in! Looking great man. Voltorb and murkrow :heart_eyes: Wow, what an update! I’ll be keeping tabs on this divine page!

5 Likes

Thank you for the kind words!

There will certainly be more crochet works to come! And thanks for the heads-up about the CGC case. I saw one video with Rattle cracking a card out of a CGC case and apparently it wasn’t as easy as cracking a PSA case, so I was going to see if there were any other videos on cracking CGC cases before attempting. But good to know I should try to cut all corners.

Yes, the Komiya Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot line will be a great one to complete! And the Blastoise is stellar–never has he looked so menacing! Still a ton of great cards in Expedition too. I don’t even think I’ve even seen all of the cards in the set. I’ve just been figuring it out along the way, so it’s nice to sometimes get surprised when I discover a new card in the set.

2 Likes

Really really great collection! Apart from your little crochet Pokemon that I already have told you how neat they are, I like the reverse holo expedition binder. The thought of something like that never really even crossed my mind, but just page upon page upon page of shiny cardboard sounds quite aesthetically pleasing.

Excited to see how it grows :ok_hand:t5:

1 Like

Thank you! The rule is always the shinier the better! Maybe I should think about buffing the cards every once in a while, to really give them a nice sparkle :thinking:

1 Like

@bbobrob Thanks for sharing this great collection including those fantastic crocheted critters . I really enjoyed seeing those Jumpluff and Hoppip, they are fun species! I do love that Natta wake Hoppip it is very fun! I also agree that the expedition Charizard is just not appealing! In my Komiya binder I have two pages of e-reader and (VS). It is some of my favorite pages so far. I was considering upgrading to all reverse holos. Now you’ve inspired me more. I always find it super fascinating how many different types of collectors are out there and am glad that I finally got to see the collection from a Jumpluff lover! Thanks!

1 Like

At first glance I genuinely thought you’d just close the binder with the slab on that same spot.
Then I thought again “maybe it’s a bad idea?” and came back to my senses.
I just wanted to share cause It was funny deep down inside my head. I’m tired, ignore me.
Nice collection! Give non-tcg the appreciation it deserves

1 Like

@niece Thanks for visiting, and I’m glad you enjoyed the collection so far! The VS set is definitely on my list for sets to complete, but I don’t want to spread myself too thin yet. I don’t know too many cards in that set yet, but I do recall that awesome Komiya Shuckle! And I agree that it’s always interesting to take a peek into other people’s collection and to see what kind of collections are out there!

@omic Doesn’t seem like a bad idea–maybe I’ll try it out :thinking: I’ll hold it in there with some tape! :joy: And yes, non-TCG is in a way even more exciting, because I know close to nothing about all the random Pokemon products out there, so I’m almost always running into something new! And I haven’t started getting too much into it just yet, but it seems like there’s more of a hunt in non-TCG, which keeps things interesting too!

1 Like

Oh my this is adorable!
Jumpluff is so cute! For some reason i have like 2 or 3 randomly full odds shiny Jumpluff’s in Scarlet and in Sword! (the games) I love the colours too!

1 Like

Yes! The whole Hoppip line is so adorable. The shiny colors are great too! Maybe it’s a sign to collect more Jumpluffs :wink:

1 Like

At first i just thought you did a funny name for your collection thread until i realised the word play behind it, forgive my not that bright brain slime! But i like how you are collecting in same three ways than i am, species binder, full set binder and artist binder, and i especially love that you’ve chosen such unique pokemon, and i especially love that you have a grimer card too in one of your collections :grin:

3 Likes

No Grimer can escape your eye!

I’m glad you dropped by! Your collection thread is actually one of the reasons I decided to pursue variants and non-TCG additions :slightly_smiling_face: I was originally not too hot on both of these, but after seeing your collection and some other collections of species collectors, I realized I kind of like seeing all the different variants lined up. And it’s even more fun to hunt for cards that differ only slightly, like a holo bleed Secret Wonders Jumpluff or code variants (I’m not sure which sets have different code variants, but I’ll look into it at some point). And the non-TCG side is just so full of stuff to explore. You have so many different Muk/Grimer items, and I imagine discovering new items that you didn’t know existed before keeps things exciting and interesting. Just took a look at some Amada stickers today, but I still have some research to do before I dive in!

Anyways, thanks for visiting! (And for having such nice updates on your own collection thread–and of course, congrats on the Sparkle Muk!)

4 Likes

I’m an influencer, yey! Thanks for compliments, i’m not very used to getting them :smiley: but about the code variants, @quuador has a thread about all the different sets which tells which of the ex era sets have code variants (which i can’t link you to since i don’t know how, i blame again my not that smart brain slime) and he also has super kindly been making species collectors lists of all cards ever made of certain pokemon :slight_smile: and about the excitement of non tcg and impossibility of knowing all of it, what is atm the most fun part of collecting is just going through japanese marketplaces looking for grimer and muk stuff and bumping into something i’ve never seen before, i really enjoy the freedom from stress when not looking for something and just seeing if i bump into something fun!

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment. :slight_smile: As for the ex codes, here is a link to the Excel. (Compiled by @tonysandlin btw, so all credit goes to him and the users who helped him.)

I defintely know the feeling with my Seviper non-TCG collection. I’m just browsing for ‘Seviper’ in general, and come across new non-TCG items every now and then which I hadn’t seen before. And at the same time there are also some sets I look to complete one day, like all Seviper figures (missing just four out of five Metal Collection Seviper) or Amada stickers (missing just a single non-holo promo sticker).

And nice collection thread, Bbobrob! Best of luck with all three of your main collection goals. :slight_smile: Although I’m pretty busy these days and still have some other lists to make I think, I could put it on my TODO list to create Hoppip, Skiploom, and Jumpluff lists (either just English+Japanese, or all languages). Don’t expect them anytime soon, though. :upside_down_face:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

@joponnes An influencer indeed! And thanks to you and @quuador for letting me about the code variant resource! (And of course thank you to all those that did the grunt work and generously made this resource available to us)

From the sound of it, it seems like my journey into non-TCG will not be regretted!

And thank you Quuador for offering to compile a list of Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff cards–that is extremely nice of you! :blush: I think I’d like to just figure it out on my own though. I find it a lot more fun to discover new things organically (like the Natta Wake Hoppip I wasn’t aware of until someone put up the full set on the Recent Purchases thread).

Looking forward to interacting more with the community here and updating the collection!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great idea, especially if you’re only just beginning to collect. :smiley: If you ever decide you want a full list in the future, or want to check a list you’ve made yourself, lmk. And if not, that’s completely fine and up to you as well. Either way, enjoy collecting, and best of luck! :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Sure thing, and thanks again for the offer! We’ll see where I am after some time. If I decide to go into other languages aside from English+Japanese, I’m sure I could use some help :slightly_smiling_face:

Have a good one!

1 Like

This is so wholesome! Jumpluff line has some superb cards. I spy one to grab for my rainbow collection :eyes:

1 Like

Yes, the Jumpluff line has many cute cards!

Which card has a rainbow? I only see one in the Neo Rev Skiploom :sweat_smile: but I think that one was already in that thread

Yeah the Neo Rev Skiploom! I included it in my initial post on the thread but I’ve been taking a very gradual approach to building the collection for now. You convinced me that it should definitely have a place in the collection.

1 Like