Background information on the Web Series?

Hi all, I have recently discovered the Web Series and was having difficulty finding a ton of background on it. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a first edition or unlimited pack? Why does this promotional series seem so much less emphasized than others? It has some of the best arts in my opinion and feels like Legendary Collection for amazing Japanese artworks.

2 Likes

A.f.a.i.k. you’ll have to look at the cards within it unfortunately. The Pokémon Web booster packs are transparent, but I don’t think there is a difference visible from the front insert card, based on my sealed Pokémon Web booster packs containing the 1st/unlimited edition Moltres:

Also, in case you or anyone else reading this are unaware: the Holofoil cards that are in the packs can be deducted from the barcode on the blue inserts.
All the barcodes for the Pokémon Web booster packs will be of this form: 4521329 013AA B, where the B is a random digit that can be ignored, but the AA can be used to determine which Holofoil Rare is in the pack:

01-04 = Dark Venusaur
05-08 = Dark Charizard
09-12 = Moltres
13-16 = Dark Blastoise
17-20 = Articuno
21-24 = Zapdos
25-28 = Gengar
29-32 = Machamp

Greetz,
Quuador

15 Likes

This is just some of the basic stuff I know.

This set was just a set of re-printed cards released via blind booster pack (had a blue insert so you cant directly see the cards) of 10 cards, 9 normal and 1 holofoil.

This pack could only be purchased online making it 1 of the only 2 sets that was distributed that way. The other being the World Championship Pack from 2007. It was a Japan only exclusive and was never released in English.

Card info:
Tangela-005 and Electrode-026 were featured as cards in Pokemon Card GB2 for the GameBoy Colour, illustrated with the original card layout from base, with a GB logo. The prints in this set are the only physical versions of these cards released.

Ivysaur-001 and Wartortle-009 come from the original intro pack from 1999.

Magikarp-035 is the reprint of the very famous University Magikarp promo and is the only other reprint copy sharing that art.

Moltres-043 , Articuno-045, Zapdos-046 are holofoil variations of the ANA promos from 1999 featuring new artwork which was used originally used in the US Pokemon 2000 Movie promotion version of the cards.

Gengar-047, Machamp-048 are reprint of the Masaki promo cards and are 2 of the 5 Masaki cards which were re-printed.

Rest of the cards are re-prints of Base set through Rocket with some shared artwork from the Vending Sheet series. There are also some promo cards in this set.

As far as I know, the unlimited is slightly rarer than the first edition version although I am not sure if there is much difference in the pricing. The blue insert also moves/shifts inside the pack allowing you to see the cards so it is easy to know what holofoil card is present in the sealed pack of cards. This means it will be possible to identify if the cards inside are unlimited or first edition (I might be wrong since I have not checked this myself).

Edit: @quuador beat me to it with images of the 2 variants.

Cheers!

6 Likes

One of my favorites - definitely under appreciated!

1 Like

Love the Web series. I’m one card away from completing a PSA 10 Unlimited Holo set! The E-reader boarder really adds something special to the classic artworks.

2 Likes
1 Like

Some additional info, looks like when you made a purchase of the pack you could immediately see the card online that you got via the Pokémon Card Browser. I wish we could still access this database :smiling_face_with_tear:

買ったカードの中身がみえる!!
注文手続きが全て終了した後の画面にある下のリンクボタンをクリックすると、カードブラウザが立ち上がって、買ったカードの中身を見ることができる!
Google translate
You can see the contents of the card you bought!!
When you click the link button below on the screen after completing the order procedure, the card browser will launch and you can see the contents of the card you purchased!

https://web.archive.org/web/20020203214215fw_/http://www.pokemoncenter-online.com/detail.msp?id=1020

CleanShot_2024-03-23_at_12.58.18