Pokémon Topsun Vs set 1997

Hello - have been trying to complete/collect the Pokémon 1997 topsun vs set but there is very little info online. Are there prism variations of all of the cards? Also does anyone here have a complete set that they could share pics of or a card list for the set? Any info would help thanks!

1 Like

Here is a good website I usually resort to for information about Bandai and Topsun cards: pokeboon.com/what-is-the-pokemon-topsun-card/

There are multiple Topson releases in 1997, so I’m not sure which set you’re referring to exactly. Do you perhaps have an example picture of one or a few of the cards?

I assume you’re not talking about the Topsun cards with copyright date ©1995 at the bottom (which were released in March 1997)? The copyright date was based on the Nintendo patent, which was issued in 1995 for Pokémon (and first released in 1996).
Of the regular Topsun set there are three variations: blue back no name misprint; blue back with number; green back with number. Here all three Pikachu Topsun cards from my personal collection:

If I read the information on pokeboon correctly: 50 of the blue backs were printed with no number errors. And all 150 gen 1 Pokémon (without Mew) were available as both blue and green back cards.

As for the Prism cards, there are a total of 20:

Since you’ve mentioned 1997, I assume you’re actually talking about another Topsun set? Here is a picture with a few of the prism cards:

Apart from those 12 above I’ve also seen an Aerodactyl and Gyarados.

These were produced near the end of 1997 as well as in 1998 after Topsun changed their company name to Top (the cards will have a changed logo).
I’m thus far unable to find a set list unfortunately, which is probably why you’re asking this question here on the forum.

I’m currently posting this in my break at work, but I will see if I can find some more information about this second(?) Topsun set later on.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

@quuador Always so helpful :heart:

I think you nailed it on the second set you posted. That’s the topsun “Vs” set I’m used to seeing. I’m also unable to help with a set list however. Surely someone here has a complete set. I’ll message Tadashi and inquire.

2 Likes

20 prism cards. I’m not able to give you the list at this time and dont know when I can get it for you.

Man how do you come with these kind of responses, mother of god

2 Likes

@kontente ,@quuador ,@jkanly ,@cullers ,@papafrankgod ,

Hello all - I was talking about the VS set (the last topsun/top set mentioned) I have referenced the pokeboon website which has fantastic info on all the topsun/carddass sets etc. Just doesn’t go too far into this specific set. I have been able to gather quite of a few of the non holo along with some holos (pictured below) for my personal collection as I really enjoy the artwork. If anyone does find a card list it would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I know, 20 of them.

If what @cullers mentioned is correct about the 20, you seem to only be missing:

Blastoise:

Kabutops:

And Charizard:

The other 17 you already have (with a few duplicates): Venusaur; Mewtwo; Clefairy; Jigglypuff; Meowth; Vulpix; Farfetch’d; Dragonite; Tauros; Gyrados; Zapdos; Moltres; Articuno; Omastar; Mew; Chansey; Eevee.

(The Aerodactyl I mentioned earlier was actually a different card game I now notice, so I’ve crossed it out in my first post.)

I will still try to search for a set list though, since I’m curious about the non-Holo cards. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Ok, I give up. I’m unable to find a list. Unfortunately I can’t read Japanese, since I have the feeling it might be easier to find such a list on some Japanese website somewhere.

So I’m just gonna share what I have been able to find:

A pack art:

These two big lots of non-Holo cards:

The concept and layout of these are pretty awesome tbh, so I can understand why you collect them. :blush:

I’ve also been able to find some cards from later Topsun cards, like with generation 2:

Or gen 3 (these I actually own myself - since Seviper is my favorite Pokémon, I bought a bunch of non-TCG Seviper cards recently. Most are still incoming, though):

The bottom one is part of a 3D glasses set (which was also available for gen 2), where the 3D glasses themselves also have unique artworks apparently:

Anyway, all kind of extra info about Topsun you nor anyone else wasn’t really looking for, haha. Sorry, figured I’d just share all of it for those interested.

If anyone can find a full set list, I’m interested to see all of the artworks as well, since they’re pretty unique. At least the question about the 20 Prism cards has been answered now, so that’s a good thing. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@quuador

You did well.

I have an uncut sheet I was able to get to it has all the holo cards on it so you can see them there. My set isn’t around me at this time.

The booster you posted is the late edition (more common) pack, it has one vs set card and a second anime vs card, you could also get a holo in 1/20 chance. The charizard booster has two vs card with a chance at a holo 1/20 again.

1 Like

Thank you both for the fantastic information on these. They are certainly hard to come by but pretty cool (I have approximately half of the non holos so far). I’m into the older Japanese anime, carddass, topsun & bandai cards. @quuador The additional information was very helpful and @cullers , that is a very cool uncut sheet! The packs are going for $200-$300 each so I think buying the holo vs cards at $20-$30 a piece is a pretty good investment.

1 Like