Autograph Forging and Photoshopping Provenance - Antonio Moscato aka Venustoise aka Shiny_Hunter23

Autograph forgeries are nothing new to this hobby, or any hobby for that matter. As time goes on though, dishonest people will come up with schemier ways of taking money from the vulnerable and unaware.

As of recently, a person by the name of Antonio Moscato (Venustoise/Shiny_Hunter23), who you will see has forged many autograpahs, decided to take things up a notch in an attempt to sell one of their fake signed cards.

Antonio, being the clever little trickster he is, was able to locate an old photo of Ken Sugimori deep within the bowels of Instagram, that hasn’t been seen by too many people. With this photo, he took it upon himself to photoshop the image in a number of ways, to help create a false provenance to support the fake Ken Sugimori autograph he created. Below I’ll show the original post, the forgery, the photoshopped image and the original image.

Forger’s Original Post

At first glance, I’m sure most would be hesitant of this autograph. It could be the fact that it’s poorly done, the sketch looks off or because this would be too good to be true, either way red flags would go off for most. What changes that, is the photo they produced to go alongside it. Without the knowledge of this photo existing elsewhere, most would fall prey to the image, story and think it’s a legitmate item. Without the “photo evidence” this card would’ve immediately crossed my mind as being a fake.

Original Untouched Photo of Ken Sugimori

Posted by Petchymon on Instagram:

Comparison Pictures

The autograph itself also exhibits many issues I could have listed off, but that’s always a gamble to reveal too much information that could be used to assist future forgeries. I figured the real importance here was the extent this particular person took to really “sell” it as being legitmate.

In Conclusion
As always, please be very careful when it comes to buying autographs. With people taking extra measures to try and scam the less knowledgeable, you can’t ignore any sort of red flags you see or feel. With PSA dropping the ball hard right now with autographs, please tread carefully even if you consider purchasing a slabbed autograph. I encourage you to really dig deep to uncover all you can about the card, the autograph, the history, the who, what, where and why behind it.

:heartbeat:My DMs are always open if anyone needs a second opinion or just has a general question about an autograph. :heartbeat:

56 Likes

Other forgeries produced by Antonio

16 Likes

I’ll delete this comment after but can you hyperlink his instagram in the name of your original post just incase he changes the user name so we can still find it.

Linking the original Instagram won’t add much. They just created another new account this month, which I’m sure will be deleted and started anew, if it takes too much heat.

1 Like

What’s insane is that he went to all this effort to photoshop Sugimori’s pose and pen but the card itself is horribly done.

10 Likes

so many scummy people doing scummy things. Im glad he was caught, but I cant help but think he will still continue to do these things . Buyers beware

Autos are in such a weird place rn

3 Likes

Doesn’t have to be in a weird place :sob:

Call up your local PSA rep and tell them to offer more than entry level pay for an “expert” level position.

12 Likes

Damn I was ahead of the curve with this meme :flushed::grimacing:

41 Likes

My next thread is going to be on you… :eyes:

15 Likes

That Saitou and Arita woulda fooled me easy!

2 Likes

Really great post, thanks for sharing. Naturally, right as I update my WTB thread looking for Sugimori signed cards :grimacing:

4 Likes

Bravo brother! Excellent work on this post and thanks for educating so many in the hobby about this! You’ve truly got a great eye for this!

4 Likes

Amazing work. PSA legitimately needs you lol

4 Likes

Really great work @swolepoke. Very informative and also serves as a caution to anyone trying to get their hands on a signed card. Some autos are so well done that untrained eyes, even from grading companies can be fooled. Thanks for sharing the info.

Cheers!

2 Likes

May be time for ScumBagPratte to return. @smpratte

Great post @swolepoke

6 Likes

I honestly thought about doing a sarcastic scumbagpratte video just congratulating the scumbags for taking over so much of the autograph market. I’ve never seen a part of a hobby dominated by so much toxic bs. While this is a great write up, this type of nonsense is a passion killer.

11 Likes

April Fools day is right around the corner! Would be a great video!

1 Like

The awful kanji and katakana stand out like a sore thumb.

3 Likes

This would be a great video idea. Hope to see it made.

1 Like

18 posts were split to a new topic: Is signature order important for Japanese autos?