Autograph Forging and Photoshopping Provenance - Antonio Moscato aka Venustoise aka Shiny_Hunter23

It’s easy to know what evidence to fabricate to create provenance, but the hard part is copying the nuance in the original product, and the details to make that provenance convincing for experts. However, a fake is made for amateurs (sorry to be blunt), and is not designed to fool experts, but then, they aren’t the target (at least they shouldn’t be).

This is why it’s critical to admit to yourself the level of your own expertise. Don’t go buying cards you don’t know well because you open yourself up to these sorts of scams. I did not know enough to know it was fake. (Still, I could tell the photo was fake.) But I would not have touched it with a 391/2 foot pole because I knew I didn’t know enough to know.

5 Likes

Good take on the matter.

Anyways on a side note as a Charizard fan, I still have no idea what is the appeal of those Charizards coloured by markers where most are just applied by individuals to begin with after the card was signed. One recently sold on pwcc where the head portion was left uncoloured while the rest was :skull:.

I tried to think from the perspective that people buy them for “bragging” rights of the so called uniqueness of the item, but people new to the hobby prolly cant appreciate enough and people in the auto space prolly knew the colouring was altered to be resold for more…

1 Like