Anyone ever tried making booster box case?

Has anyone on here ever tried to make one of those acrylic booster box protective cases themselves?

There is a host of them online ranging from like 30 to 60 bucks. Which must mean they cant be expensive to make since people are making a profit on them.

To anybody that has made one, any tips or tricks you could share with me? I’m gonna give making one a go!

Thaaaannnkkksssss

I’m not sure exactly what they are using, but acrylic/polycarobante/lexan etc. are all available down at your local Lowe’s/Home Depot or equivalent as are the tools to cut them and glue/weld them. Pretty easy DIY project for anyone semi handy.

Yeah I already priced it all out at Lowe’s, with a 3’x6’ sheet plus tools is like 100 bucks. I’m sure that sheet will provide enough material to make several boxes. I watched a couple videos on techniques for cutting and adhering acrylics, doesn’t look bad. I’m gonna give it a go!

2 Likes

I use these…they aren’t perfectly fitted but for $11 or less with coupon they are perfect and don’t require me to cut stuff myself lol

www.containerstore.com/category/acrylic?productId=11003224

If price is the problem, I just got nice ones from the UK for 15 GBP, around $20 each

@pokecollectoramy that is a pretty good price! How much play is there in the ones you put booster boxes in?

@qwachansey 20 bucks shipping included? Price isnt really much of a deal, but I might as well save where I can you know? And if it’s something I can make, why not! It’s that time of year where it’s dark at 530pm now so there isnt much to do in the evenings anyway. I enjoy crafting things so it just seemed like a win winnnnn

Yeah they sound fun to make! Just wanted to share cause I’m happy with the product and it’s more affordable, it’s prdisplays1 on instagram. Shipping was not included.

1 Like

I like PRD a lot but shipping is a killer, sometimes as much as the actual item haha

Mike, I only have some newer boxes that are about 5x5 and the shadowbox is 6x6 so there’s some space there for sure. Not sure how big wotc boxes are (maybe you can measure yours, that would be helpful for me too haha) but I know container store had a couple sizes so maybe the bigger ones would work

Thanks for sharing dude, I appreciate it! Would you care to share what the box looks like? And perhaps take a picture to show how much play room is left between the booster box and the case’s walls?

Sure, hope these pics help.

They have a sliding cover. For WOTC boxes the sides are VERY flush against the acrylic box; you wouldn’t be able to put any additional covering/plastic wrap over the box before putting it in. Honestly this was my one complaint, I might make it a millimeter or two wider because if you take your boxes in and out frequently you might risk ripping the side plastic wrap. However if you’re just gonna stick them in a protective box indefinitely it’s fine if you’re careful putting them in. But the advantage of being so flush is they don’t shake at all when you move the acrylic box.

1 Like

@pokecollectoramy here’s the measurements on a WOTC box:

I would imagine all WOTC booster box’s are these same measurements. I’m not sure about expedition base set - skyridge though, since those booster packs have 2 less cards per booster.

I hope this is useful to you!

That’s awesome man thank you. Saving that picture for reference! Here’s how the container store ones look:

1 Like

If you need dimensions for e-series boxes lmk

I would like to know out of curiosity if you’d be able to take that measurement!

So expedition base set - skyridge have 2 less cards per pack. That’s the difference of 36 cards worth of thickness (heightwise). 36 cards is 7/16 of an inch. So the e-reader boxes should be just about 2 7/16 inches. Am I close??

Height wise I’m seeing 2 11/32 for Aquapolis and 2 12/32 for Skyridge. So about 2 6/16, pretty close!

Thanks for the pictures man! Very helpful! Which panel slides out?

And as far as the tightness goes, I was thinking I wanted the one I’m gonna make to be pretty tight, I like the idea of no movement around. I was thinking of leaving either an 8th or a 16th of an inch of play in the width dimensions. I’ll likely make 3 different ones and try each one out.

The top panel slides out 100%, so you’d flip the acrylic box over to release the booster box, since you can’t fit your fingers inside to pick it up. That’s also something I’d consider changing; a side panel might allow easier in and out because you could slide instead of flip.

2 Likes