Anyone else struggling with deciding their favourite Pokemon? šŸ„²

Iā€™m really tryingā€¦ but is being impossible!:sweat_smile:

I see other collectors being so sure about which is their favourite Pokemon, even collecting every card there is available of that species and I feel healthy envy. Having so much attachment to one single species seems so difficult in my mind.

I have a list, mainly based on all the Pokemon that where my favourites at any time when I was a kid:

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Charmeleon
Charizard
Butterfree
Raticate
Golduck
Scyther
Heracross
Donphan

Mainly Gen 1, as my nostalgia hits hard thereā€¦ I love all this list. Maybe could discard some and narrow it a bit.

Any strategy on being able to decide? :joy:

Do you have a favourite or are you like me?

If its a list, which? If its a Pokemon, who?

Are you of those collectors that collect all the cards of concrete species?

Have a nice day! :smiley:

4 Likes

Some people donā€™t have a favorite, but a list of PokĆ©mon they like best, kinda like what you have here. I wouldnā€™t try to force it. Youā€™ll end up seeing the other PokĆ©mon on your list and think youā€™re missing out.

I started collecting just Umbreon, but Iā€™d see the other Eeveelutions and kinda didnā€™t like that I was missing out on them because I really like them too. So I expanded. Now I just include the whole line as my ā€œfavoriteā€ + Skarmory.

3 Likes

I have my big grimer and muk collection but i also have collected a binder page of several other pokemon i like, that would be one option for you too since you could include all your favourites with quite limited budget and seeing a bunch of the same pokemon in one page could help you make up your mind if one pleases your eye more than others or if they still are equal :slight_smile:

Few examples, birds arenā€™t one pokemon filling a page but anyway :slight_smile:

8 Likes

youā€™re not allowed to post on E4 unless you have a favorite. you must have a favorite pokemon, a favorite gen, and a favorite full art support trainer. if the council deems your favorites to be sus, then your account is automatically deleted.

12 Likes

Sure, there are a lot of people that can instinctively pick their favorite: this usually happens when they have been imprinted in the childhood or they linked cool memories to that pokemon.
But to many others I think is more kinda of a ā€œwork in progressā€, since youā€™re constantly adding experience, knowledge, playing the new games, collecting the next set, reevaluating your priorities, and so on.
I started with bulbasaur (~6yrs old), then It became mew (~10yrs), then gardevoir (15yrs) , now is celebi lol.

If you still canā€™t choose, I would try to pick the one (from the list) that is the ā€˜prototypeā€™ of what you like in pokemon: for example, in my case celebi summarizes what I like (grass types + psychic types + mythical pkm).

In your case is a bit more complex, but I notice that you like gen1 a bit more, ā€˜monstrousā€™ creatures in general, many bipedal and a good chunk is bug. So, maybe Scyther?

There is a page that lets you choose one or another Pokemon till you have your top 5 or 10 favs in order. It is very helpful, sadly I dont have the link but maybe someone here can share it.

1 Like

I have my top 6 in my lineup right below. Besides Eevee #1, it is hard to pick my next favorites

Do you mean this one? Choose your favourite Pokemon of each type!

There are a lot of similar tools, though. Iā€™ve done way too many over the 6.5 years Iā€™ve been active on this forum. :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Charizard/Charmander for life :fire:

No, I ment the one that at first let you choose as many you wanted from a pool of 9 and then it was 1vs1. The final result was a list in order of your favorite Pokemons. Idk if it was a team maker or something like that.

1 Like

Do you mean the Favorite Pokemon Picker?

As others have said, donā€™t try to force it. Many people have had their favorites switch from time to time. My first favorite was Alkazam, then Mewtwo, THEN it became Gyarados.

Often times people associate a strong memory with their favorite Pokemon. Out of your list, are a few of them that stick out to you? Regardless of what others think of the Pokemon, is there one that you feel connected to either by some memory or experience? Or maybe you notice the Pokemon in different things and smile.

I definitely encourage to use the Pokemon Picker - it can flesh out a lot and is also fun just sifting through. And if at the end of the day, you find you canā€™t separate between a few, maybe see if you can narrow it down to 3? 3 is a healthy number to create collections around.

5 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

If anyone thinks I have a favourite of anything, Iā€™ve successfully tricked them into thinking so :joy: in reality itā€™s like I have a tier list of my favourites in general - not just pokĆØmon, but also music, books, shows, etc. I might have a solid answer for my favourite if we get more specific, like ā€œmy fav fire starter pokemonā€, ā€œmy fav Pokemon from my very first teamā€, ā€œmy fav bipedal grass typeā€, etc, but even then I might have several choices so itā€™s more like a top 3 or top 5. So at this point Iā€™ve just chosen a few to fall back on to respond with when someone asks for my fav. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So donā€™t be surprised if I say, ā€œoh but also this pokemon, and that pokemon, and I love this one tooā€¦!ā€ :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

My first one was also Bulbasaur! :grin:

That method could work. I will give ir a try! If I should choose, probably independently bug type is my favā€¦. But I donā€™t know if I could exclude the rest just because of that.

Maybe is best to come with a fav complete team of 6? :face_with_monocle: I will think about that approach as well.

1 Like

Thanks for this link! Out of curiousity I gave it a try and had to make some hard decisions :joy:

i think the first row and a half could basically be my #1 favourite depending on things like my mood and the specific coordinates of the celestial beings in orbit at the exact point in time when someone asks me.

Special mention to a few that didnā€™t make the list cos I was getting tired by the time I got here. If I kept going, I would have eventually also included (in no particular order): Hattrem, Meowstic, Celebi, Brambleghast, Litwick, Eldegoss, Munnaā€¦ probably forgetting a few more. And Axew+Oshawott who have to be paired together due to me playing Mystery Dungeon with them, so they are bffs in my mind; but I let them drop out early so I wouldnā€™t have to drag them through the mess that is my brain when itā€™s time to make a decision :face_holding_back_tears::see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Patiently waiting for the OP to do the sameā€¦

2 Likes

I agree with @joponnes. If you like the idea of species collecting (and going hardcore on one or a few species), you might just want to start out making a binder page of each of your favorites in the list or a few of them and see how you feel/where that takes you. For some, like Charizard, filling binder pages might stretch your budget a bit more, but for species like Heracross and Raticate, you could probably fill binder pages pretty cheaply.

I chose to prioritize Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff for my species collection, but I just started picking up some Wooper and Chinchou cards (with plans to eventually include Quagsire and Lanturn). I feel like adding to the collection is really the fun part, so you can spread the love around if you canā€™t decide on a single species!

2 Likes

Wow! This tool helps a lot!

It has just been useful to narrow the listā€¦ and to add one Pokemon that was not in it :rofl:

It goes like this now:

Bulbasaur
Charmeleon
Charizard
Butterfree
Scyther
Heracross
Golduck
Nidoking

I think your idea of reducing it to 3 is a good approach.

I would also think on which will be ā€œmy ideal team of 6ā€ if I was playing the game. That can be a first cut, even though a team need some balance between types and attacks.

Thanks! Will dedicate some more time to the tool to help me continue narrowing!! :smiley:

4 Likes

This tool has also been very useful!

Combining both is key! Thanks for the resources!

1 Like

One can still get sick eating too much of their favorite food.

Coconut used to be my favorite flavor, but then I went to hawaii, ate so much coconut syrup that I got sick, and started to have a nauseating reflex to it.

Just because certain creature is oneā€™s favorite, it does not mean it must be the only creature you enjoy. Perhaps there are many. Perhaps just a few.

3 Likes