Any Other Fisherman Out There in Poke Collecting World?

Recently I was talking to one my good collecting buddies and it turns out he loves fishing just as much as I do - which, to me, seemed like a rarity in the Poke Collecting World (though I am hoping that it is not). This probably explains why we get along so well and share the same collecting and fishing goals. So I had the idea to reach out to my favorite collecting group to see if there are any other fisherman out there or anyone interested in fishing at all for that matter! My main passion outside of card collecting is fishing and I have a whole YouTube channel dedicated to it. It also shows in the fact that my favorite card artwork in the whole game is the Skyridge Fisherman. It kind of reminds me of me… Anyway - if you have any interest in fishing or are a fisherman like myself - feel free to check out my channel and/or start discussion about anything you’d like to know and I’ll do my best to help in any way I can and guide my fellow collectors. I love sharing my passion and expertise with others and I hope it shows in my work!

www.youtube.com/c/anglingwithalex

“Even a bad day fishing beats a good day anywhere else.”

I love fly-fishing. I too love that card, it’s one of my favorites.

I can tell by your name that you love to fly fish! I’m a majority spin fisherman myself but I break out the fly once in a while when I’m on a bigger river to match the hatch. Nothing like catching a big brown on a fly you can barely see yourself haha. Glad to see another fellow fisherman!!

Now, are we talking Ocean Fishing or Lake Fishing??? Haha

LOVE Ocean Fishing - Blues and Stripers for DAYS!

I’ve spent A LOT of time on the water with my Grandfather and Dad! My Grandfather was actually a Commercial Fisherman - his main business was “Long Lining” out on the Grand Banks; however, he also had his Lobster License and would set-up Lobster Traps in Cape Cod Bay during the Summer Months! LOVED joining him over Summer Vacation while I was growing-up! Unfortunately, I was only able to venture-out with him and his crew on a few occasions over Summer Vacation as he sold-off his business and retired shortly after I entered High School.

My Dad and I LOVED Fishing on Cape Cod Bay over Summer Vacation!!! I can vividly remember leaving the house around 3:30 AM in-order to venture down to the Marina with the Boat in Tow so that we could launch the boat and be on the water before sunrise and fish the in-coming or out-going tide. Sometimes we had GREAT LUCK with Blues or Stripers; other times we struck-out - spending all morning on the water without catching anything… However, like you said in your original post: “a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work” - that was one of my Dad’s FAVORITE Sayings - along with: “that’s why they call it fishing; not catching”! Haha Regardless whether we had luck or not, we both LOVED being out on the water together and always had a GREAT TIME!!! Plus, there’s really nothing better than watching the sunrise on the water! Those are now some of my most-vivid and happiest memories I have with my Dad!

I’ve grow-up on the water; I’ve always had a love and deep respect for the ocean from a young age - and it’s truly defined where I am today! I’m now actually able to work on the water and travel the globe (work on a containership) - it’s truly THE BEST JOB in the World! It’s not always a “pleasure cruise” - staring-off at nothing but blue for weeks at a time sometimes gets old; however, after a couple days in-port to un-wind and “relax” (work your ass-off loading / un-loading the ship, but able to explore exotic ports too) you’re always refreshed and ready to get back out to sea!

3 Likes

To answer your first question - both. Ocean fishing is my personal preference due to the increased variety of species and location, but freshwater fishing has its own perks and unique quality to it that can be extremely serene and calming to me (mountain rivers and creeks and being on the lake). The short answer is I like it all and I’m talking about it all.

Stories such as these are exactly why I love fishing and hoped to gain from this. Stripers are my favorite fish hands down - so you and I have that in common for sure. I’ve never made it up the coast far enough (I’m in the Southeast) to fish for the salt stripes and blues but it is definitely on my list. What you said about having a deep (good choice of word) respect for the ocean and loving it defines how I feel about it as well. I’m most at home and peace with myself when near or on water. I stare at every body of water I pass - even if its a fountain in the middle of a city. Sounds like you have found your place on that ship and its such a cool story. Thank you for sharing that with me!

I was raised in Hollywood. From about 8 to 12 years old I took a bus over an hour every Saturday to the Santa Monica pier and fished for sand dabs.
I lived here in Vegas from 1979 to 1989. I had a boat and fished the Colorado river and Lake Mead for trout until the stripers took over.
I only fished in a boat on the ocean a couple times but got sick each time so that’s not for me.
I haven’t fished regularly since but really miss it.

The last time hunting (and fishing) got brought up, it ended up as a locked topic.

www.elitefourum.com/t/any-hunters-on-the-forum/21970/1

Lots of information in there already, so perhaps an interesting read. It’s also an FYI for everybody involved over here to take lessons from it to prevent this one from getting derailed and locked.

Yes those of us with no moderation powers need to be sure nobody comes in outraged, offended, and breaking the forum rules by derailing, name calling, and wishing death upon those members enjoying their sport/hobby with no apparent ramifications. Just saying. Lol. Joking here a bit but I get what you mean.

As I mentioned in the last thread I fish occasionally. Enjoy it a lot when I do just life hasn’t really allowed me too much free time to get out on the water the past several years. I bought my lifetime license several years ago and haven’t done too much fishing since, but I’ve got a niece and a nephew as well as my son who I’ll probably show the ropes over the next several years and see if they take an interest in it.

1 Like

My son broke his arm playing baseball, but is looking forward to rehabing it fly fishing when he can in a couple of weeks. He’s 9 so I figured it’s time to get him started with a fly rod. He’s been using a spinning rod for the last few years.

1 Like

I feel there something that resonates deep with people about fishing when having done it as a kid. It always sticks with you. I’ve never fishing the Colorado River before due to living over 1000 miles away but I would love to one day on my adventures. One of the biggest Stripers I ever caught was on a trout for bait - so I’m well aware of how devastating they can be on a trout population. You should get back out there and go fishing soon though. Sooner than later is always better!

I don’t hunt - only fish. I have faith people will behave themselves.

The earlier the better. Kids learn that stuff super fast. Fly fishing is an art and takes time to master so I wish you best of luck in your teachings. Tell him I said he’s got this!

1 Like

I’m like to fish. Just set my line and put a good sinker and bobber on the line and grasshopper on my hook and just wait for bites. Mostly catfish, perch, and the occasional turtle and stick fish. I do catch and release. Waters here aren’t safe to eat anything out of.

Where are you located at that the waters aren’t safe? And I’m unfamiliar with a stick fish. Is that the same thing that we call a Gar?

South along Colorado River below Austin, TX. Unfortunately all their waste and pollution dumps right into it. And some time ago when the city of Austin decommissioned the old power plants along the river they dumped the transformers and other pieces Into the river. They’re still there and polychlorenated biphonyls from the transformers are still present. Plus now there’s toxic algae that kills animals in it

That’s absolutely disgusting. Ugh… Well at least it didn’t kill all the fish - just makes them unedible.

1 Like

I’m not a fisherman myself, but my dad is. He mainly fishes on carps, and sometimes pikes or zanders. He usually goes to France or Belgium for an entire week with a friend to fish. His heaviest carp thus far was about 26 kilograms (or 52 Dutch pounds, as fisherman usually weight their fish in :wink: ), which is roughly 57.3 lbs. Since he loves to fish, I of course go along once in a while. I will be completely honest, I don’t really have the patience to fish on carp, since usually you will sit for about 5-8 hours (at least, I do; my dad sometimes fishes multiple days after one another), and if you’re lucky catch a single carp. I personally prefer to fish on smaller whitebait, so I can catch 25+ little fish in a few hours time. :wink: Although my personal record (again carp) is 15.25 kilograms (30.5 Dutch pounds), which is roughly 33.6 lbs. Oh, and it’s all catch and release. Only when my dad fishes at sea or for trouts he sometimes take them home.

So not much of a fisherman personally, but I do still fish once or twice each year.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

In Europe, carp fishing is a big thing. It’s strange to me because they are a less than desirable fish over here and we only fish for them occasionally as good sport because they do get pretty big and fight decently (although for their size they don’t fight nearly as good as most fish). Do you have any idea why carp fishing is so big over there? I haven’t been able to figure it out. And thanks for sharing!

My brother used to fish back in the day. I remember in the summer he would get up, fish, and come back home before I would be out of bed. I fished casually a bit. I had a friend who lived on a lake. We would take his canoe out, mostly catch bass and bluegill. There were a few massive grass carp close to shore, always saw their fins but never had the right bait. Oh a lake in my area had some alligator gars. I remember my brother telling me about them. I may have gone swimming in said lake in High School. :relieved:

1 Like

Grew up on a farm in southern Kentucky before moving up to Cincinnati. The only thing we had to do was fish at our lake. Every time I go back to my hometown, I make sure to stop by and cast a few lines out. Never gets old catching blue gill, crappie, bass, and catfish.