Any info on this Gengar Error?

Is this common? Evolves from Houmter. I have looked through eBay and haven’t seen any with this error.

imgur.com/a/Y7ysYae

Sorry, but its fake; not an error

3 Likes

Counterfeit

1 Like

Fake.

1 Like

Not the only typo, either:

2 Likes

Also Pokemon, instead of Pokémon.

3 Likes

Thanks! I was thinking that could also be the case. Kind of a strange card to fake in my opinion but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by anything anymore!

1 Like

Interesting. Might as well make a fake weedle. Oh, wait…

1 Like

Just like on reddit, where a lot of people are asking about the legitimacy of their (usually fake) cards, I’m gonna give a run-down of what is fake about it so you can keep an eye on these things for other cards:

Let me start with a side-by-side picture of your fake Gengar and a real version, so you can see the things I’m about to mention more easily when comparing them:

1. The thing you already mentioned, Houmter. Typos like that, as well as incorrect names entirely (I have a Pikachu named Raikou…) are very common with fakes.
  2. The black parts of the Energy symbols are way too large. This also happens pretty often with fake cards. This is very noticeable on your fake card, especially the six-pointer stars of the Normal Energy symbols.
  3. The font is slightly different (not too different in this case; it’s usually also a pretty big indicator of being fake). In this case it seems the same font is used, but it’s slightly bolder.
  4. It states ‘Pokemon’ instead of ‘Pokémon’ (‘e’ without a hyphen). This happens with fakes A LOT.
  5. The alignment of words is sometimes incorrect with fake cards as well. Just a few days ago someone posted this fake Delibird for example, where is has two spaces after every apostrophe, like at “opponent’ s” and “Don’ t”. With this card the incorrect font is also a lot more noticeable, and as mentioned in nr 1, it has a typo in the name. With your Gengar I only see a double space between the “Shadow Pokemon” below the artwork.

So the others are indeed correct, it’s a fake card. I hope this also explained a bit better why it’s fake, so you and others will know what to look for when comparing it to the real version of the card.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes