Fake or Real 1st Edition Charmander!?

Hi i just created an account to ask for your help. I am willing to buy a 1st edition charmander from an online marketplace in my country but i have to little knowledge to tell if this is a real card. Maybe someone can help me tell by looking at the pictures:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Thanks for your help!

Fake :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Looks like the border is gold, which is only japanese. And the text looks off.

150% fake

3 Likes

Can u guys tell me where to look out for? i want to collect the old first generation cards and donā€™t want to fall in the fake cards trap

one thing i notice now is that they forget to put a dot at the end of the sentence (picture 2)

2 Likes

The stamp looked off and was the first thing I saw. It looks like a thin stamp which doesnā€™t exist as far as I know for non holo 1st base set cards, usually with a thin stamp the word ā€˜editionā€™ that circles it is very thick, you can check out this great thread www.elitefourum.com/t/1st-edition-stamp-variations-lets-iron-it-out/17624/1, also font is slightly off and border color is faded/off. Also I believe when looking at borders it usually sways in one direction, so for this card both the left & right borders are thin, its usually one is thinner and the other side is thicker, if Iā€™m incorrect someone more knowledgeable can correct me.

2 Likes

Thanks for this info!

1 Like

Another red flag is those blurry/out of focus photos. How hard can it be to take decent photos?

1 Like

In addition to what @xdiddy and @sanzonw said:

• The copyright date contains dots instead of commas between the 1995, 96, 98, 99 Nintendo, Creatures.
  • The ā€œLizard PokĆ©monā€ text below the artwork is slightly shifted down, even though all other black text is at the correct positions

Both of these can be seen in the second picture.

And third: apart from the second picture, all pictures are trash where you can barely see anything. All of them are out of focus, and I have a feeling this is done on purpose because the seller knows itā€™s fake card. Or they just have a crappy camera like myself, despite the reasonably looking second pictureā€¦ :confused:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Those front borders look like they were designed based on the old japanese cards with the thinness and gold tint (and terribly so), English wotc borders are fat and yellow. Text is too thin and font is way off. Coloring is faded out in the front and back. Thin 1st edition stamp on non-holos is a thing but itā€™s very rare, another unlikely factor. Same with the spelling errors. Card stock itself looks off, too smooth.