Any idea how this got a PSA 7?

Didn’t see any glaring issues. Am I missing something?

Do you have it in hand? Shine a flashlight on that Holo I guarantee it’ll seem very different

2 Likes

I see whitening on 3 corners without looking too closely

I checked under a light when pre-grading and didn’t see any scratches or surface issues. I’ll recheck when it comes in, to see if I missed something.

Conspiracy against giving psa10s hitting all eras now.

Oh wait, this isnt wrong answers only?

Probably a light pindrop dent. Usually theyre psa6 but if the card is really nice everywhere itll be a 7.

1 Like

PSA 10 candidate still

8 Likes

Whitening, and likely hair thin scratches on the holo - these things tarnish if you look at them funny

Most likely a missed dent or misgrade. Scratches don’t bring cards down to a 6/7.
That whitening is negligible too.

1 Like

try regrading on a Friday, I hear thats when they give better opinions

4 Likes

@Dizzle pretty funny! I have found micro-dents on cards I thought were perfect, and you can only see on one side of the card. However I agree with the majority, it’s probably a hairline scratch on the holo that you have to get in the right light to see.

1 Like

I just got my grades back from a bunch of early 2000s cards I submitted with known imperfections (visible corner/edge whitening) and based on those results… holo scratches get you a 7. Physical “damage” like dents or bends get you to 6 or below. I sent some that had what I considered pretty gnarly corner whitening and they still came back 8s.

1 Like

These days, anytime I get a PSA 7 on a card that looks really strong, it screams fingernail indent, small bend in the card, deep scratch, or other surface issue that’s hard to see. Sometimes I’ve had cards for a long time before I actually end up seeing what PSA saw to give it the 7 grade. I think if you look extremely closely when you get it back you’ll find something like this. I don’t think whitening or holo scratches would bring it down to a 7 unless it was very easily apparent.

3 Likes

Even Baltoy is shielding himself from the light

1 Like

I’ve regraded several 6’s to 9’s and 8’s to 10’s.
My last three subs I had to re submit several cards, something to consider.

3 Likes

I’ve only resubmitted 3 cards so far, 2 9s upgraded to 10s and 1 8 regraded an 8. I figure the 8 has some issue I just can’t see, or the centering is so bad that it drops below 9 all the way to 8 (honestly doesn’t look like it to me, but eh you guys maybe see different):

front

back

The grader lost his sports bet during lunch

With a back that clean, a 7 suggests some hairline scratches on the reverse foil which it is prone to. 6 or lower is indication of a microdent or worse. PSA docks especially hard on surface condition

It takes a bit to spot microdents - definitely more than the seconds they look at each card, so it’s hard to believe that they spot them at all honestly.

I once had an 8 with a huge scratch. Very very noticeable. I ended up selling it for the price of a psa 6 and bought myself an 8 that is very clean. But I think sometimes cards just meet certain criteria in other areas and it makes the grade valid. I understand how you feel because you question the validity of the grade. If you want a cleaner copy I would recommend selling and buying one you’re comfortable and satisfied with.

That’s not enough to knock it 3 grades…

1 Like