How on earth was this graded PSA 8?

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283394061044

1 Like

Because PSA is human. I love his “no refund” claim. xD

1 Like

Wow, that card looks horrible lol. I would have rather sold that for a cheap price and not put it in a PSA slab…

Typo? 8 and 5 are right beside each other

By 3 people?

New guy

3 people grade (allegedly lol) but only one person puts the final grade into the system. Probably some minimum wage data clerk. I’ve seen one or two other “typo” grades here on the forum before

1 Like

Ah, makes sense.

uber 1337 hax0r.

PSA robots, please.

Happens all the time. I just had a card that got an 8 that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was a 10. Got it regraded and it was taken care of.

Reminds of the PSA 8 GS Ray with a crease lmao

2 Likes

Glaucoma

At least the seller is honest about it by putting about it being a weak grade in the description and providing back pics.

2 Likes

Exactly ! There could be some dodgy people that just take photo of front and sell it as an 8 price

I cant actually find it at the moment, but there was a Gold Star Rayquaza PSA8 that had a dent/crease; sellers also stated on the listing it had the crease.
I can’t believe this beat-up zard got an 8, im about to submit one of my Raw GS Zards and is way better than that one, and im hoping for it to be an 8/9 xD!

so like, if somebody buys this and uses PSA’s financial guarantee can they potentially make money? the price difference between a PSA 5 and 8 is definitely a few hundred dollars. or am I missing something?

I’ll give PSA the benefit of the doubt and say this is probably a data entry error

It is indeed possible to do such a thing given the right circumstances. Intentionally and openly using it as an arbitrage opportunity could likely be taken negatively by PSA.

E.g. If you directly bought this single item from eBay you would generate sales data history directly tying this card to the value which you paid. You would have a hard time getting PSA to pay out to a higher valuation than you paid if they saw the sale history. In determining market value to pay out under their insurance they do an eBay search and would possibly see it therefore using that price as the current value and then subtracting off whatever value this card was worth in the proper grade that it gets returned to you after regrading.

The times I’ve had success in using the guarantee the cards were mostly a part of large collection purchases and something that I unexpectedly learned after purchase. This is the true intent of the financial guarantee. Exactly what I paid was obscured and not well defined so I always used other comparable cards in the given grade to determine the price. One time that I actually knowingly bought a single misgraded card it was done through a private sale so didn’t cause issues.