Another Fake Snap Pikachu Card

https://www.reddit.com/r/pkmntcgcollections/comments/7n2cal/desperately_need_info_on_a_card_can_anyone_help/

Just saw a post on the pkmntcgcollections sub and this dude looks like he just hit the lottery. Any info on who the contest winners were and how he could have come across this gem?

Damn… Where’s the SNAPers at?

Ask for more photos. To me that looks entirely photoshopped.

2 Likes

Contest winners were citizens of Japan who submitted their shots of Pokemon into a best photograph contest for the Pokemon Snap game (I’m sure you already know that part). The winners got 20 of their winning entry sent to them as a sort of trophy for their triumph. With that said I’m not sure what else you’d want to know about who the winners were. I know the Poliwag winner sold all of theirs, I believe someone in the forum met the winner of the Poliwag photo also. The chances are that if the card is legitimate that he then must have bought it off the winner back when he supposedly lived in Japan. The guy can expect 15k-20k for it easily I would think, seeing as the three starters went for 10-15k individually. Who knows though, I have an innate distrust for a lot of stuff I see on reddit but time will tell.

1 Like

Dang I saw this on Reddit this morning too. It does look a little weird but it also looks pretty legit!

Hi! This is my (now) card from my late family member. I can take more pictures for you guys and upload them to imgur! Is there anywhere I can upload a video of it from all different angles for you guys? He had hundreds of base set japanese cards I can also include in the pictures

Will upload soon! :blush:

edit: I took some more pictures! Here it is; any more info would help…I’m still lost:

www.imgur.com/a/eDYqw?s

Edit #2: Taking it out of the casing I learned it actually has a mild gloss feel to it? Is that normal…its not like the other old japanese cards like the charizards I took pictures of. This pikachu has a more glossy feel. Does that mean its a fake?

4 Likes

Glad to see you made it over to the forum. You can simply upload a video to youtube and then link it here. Hope this all turns out to be legit.

1 Like

Doesn’t look right at all, fake

Aw really? What gives it that outcome? I find it odd he would have thousands of holo cards than a fake one in all sealed up. hmph

There are some Japanese cards that are glossy like that. That reason alone doesn’t necessarily mean that it is fake. What if you compare the back to other old Japanese cards and make sure the fonts match. Or hold it up to the light and see if light shines through. Does it feel flimsy?

border is off, set symbol is off, the whole card has a blurry look which is a classic tell, heres a real card to compare

2 Likes

Something about it seems a bit off. There’s a weird rectangle in the top border too.

The chances of finding a card like this at random is astronomically low so it’s always safer to assume fake until otherwise proven.

1 Like

No it actually feels very sturdy! Light does not shine through it at all

1 Like

lol what are the odds a Chansey and a Pika SNAP pop up in tandem of each other haha. You wouldnt happen to see a Magikarp card of the same style in that huge collection, would ya? Lol

Does he have any documentation for it? Maybe look around and see if you can find a peice of paper with japanese writing on it.

Out of other SNAP samples we’ve seen there was not a glossy finish on the cards, but there may be some exception for Pikachu I’m not aware of.

@smpratte would know more about this

I saw it all on reddit and all I could think was how well contrived the post was. Saying nothing else :wink:

5 Likes

I got that feeling as well.

Looking closer, it’s interesting how the card seems warped when looking at the back but not from the front…

Points to @elftan for this observation.

@frostbyte The 4 charizards that you included in your picture are not all that rare by themselves. They’re worth about $50-100 a piece depending on the condition. They are not in the same league as the Snap Pikachu. If you could take perhaps a bird’s eye view of his entire collection, we might have a better understanding of what level of collector he was.