Ana airline Golden boarding pass

For the past 24 hours i just recently learned about the Ana airlines pokemon promotions, and over the last 24 hours i have been researching the history of the promotions they ran over the years. I learned about the card promotions they ran and how people were able to aquired it and the merch that they made. The only one i could not find any information on was the pikachu, mew, and mewtwo golden boarding pass

From what i found out im fairly certain it was given to some people who boarded the planes but i dont know how they got it, if they got to choose which one of the 3 they got or if it was completely random, and what year the promotion with the golden boarding passes ran. I was just hoping to learn more about them. If anyone has any information on them i would appreciate it. Thank you!

4 Likes

The golden boarding pass campaign actually preceded the ANA Pokemon card campaign. Due to the success of the initial launch of the Pokemon Jet, which apparently ANA did not expect, they decided to continue the services of the Pokemon Jet and also launch this “Original Gold Boarding Pass” campaign.

These boarding passes were commemorative gifts, so they were not actual boarding passes which could be used while travelling.

To apply for these, you had to travel via ANA, domestically, collect two boarding pass stubs and mail them to the designated locations on the special application postcard, fill in the required information, affix a 50 yen stamp, and drop it into the mailbox.

Implementation period was: Saturday, July 18, 1998 to Saturday, October 31, 1998
Application deadline was: November 9, 1998 (Monday) Postmark valid on that day

I believe the applicants could not choose which boarding pass they received and it was at random. However, I do believe some blog posts stating that since you could keep applying multiple times, they probably had a list of which boarding pass you received and they made sure you got a different one. I cannot verify this claim but it is safe to say the gifts were random.

Cheers!

17 Likes

Aaesome! Thank you so much for the deatailed explanation!

2 Likes

Do you know if PSA grades these?

@trainerred661 i dont think psa does, but im not sure. However Beckett does grade these.

@Unijean there are also several stickers, postcards, sticker sheets and japanese phone cards featuring ANA x Pokemon