An Opinion on SMPRATTE's Pokemon Go YouTube Video

No, no, no. You’re assuming I mean primarily Pokémon Go. I already told you why I mentioned it. Not going to argue with you bud, later.

I think the disagreement is coming from the video making very loose statements about something that can never be quantified or proven/disproven. It’s like pouring a bunch of water into a running river and later on trying to work out which water you put in and which water was already there.

1 Like

Actually, it had nothing to do with pogo. It was all the Pawn Stars video;)

I’ll make a deal with you. I’ll see a shrink when you grow a sense of humor;)

3 Likes

12 Likes

ITT

3 Likes

Actual data? Let’s just quickly dismiss it, because my own subjective opinion is more important. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

:alien:

1 Like

So lets see. I said that people with in an interest in the market want it to thrive. You said “wrong.”

So if I am wrong about that, that would mean you do not want that market to thrive? Strange…

And to your question of how has the “bubble” affected you? Just because you have not been selling all your product, does not mean that you have not benefited. The value of your collection has gone up substantially even if you have not sold.

Lets take it back to real estate again. If your house goes up in value, you still benefit, even if you have not chosen to sell. The value went up, and thus so has your net worth. This is a direct benefit to you.

So how has the “bubble” affected you? All of your cards have greatly increased in value. You have probably benefited more than almost everyone else in the hobby with the increase of the value of your collection.

Having to pay more money for something I will never get a return out of is hardly a benefit. Whether is was 100.00 or 1000.00, I’m out the money but they still sit in my collection.
In fact, the bubble as you call it has hurt me. I’m paying more and because of the popularity I’m getting less. I bid 55k on something AND LOST. Once again, the bubble hurt me.
Take me back to 2005.

1 Like

The addition of hundreds of thousands of dollars to one’s net worth is not a benefit? :thinking:

A distinction that I feel some members on this thread is missing is that Pokemon cards to most people are to collect, and not to be simply valued as a monetary investment. The notion of tying pokemon cards to a monetary value and the sole concept of only selling is what creates problems in this thread.

It’s safe to say that nobody, including Scott or Gary has fully completed their collection. That is, they are still participating in the market also to purchase cards to collect, and not only to sell cards. Most of us who purchase cards are not thinking of “oh if I buy this I may get x% return in the future”, we are purchasing for our collection to keep, unless circumstances occur where we must sell off our collection. Yes, the value of cards increasing is great to us collectors, but it also makes this hobby immensely expensive for all collectors as a whole. It’s essentially a double edged sword since we need to also spend more money to get the cards we want. As a whole our net worth may increase, but as a collector we most likely won’t sell our cards, so it’s quite frankly a loss to us.

Old Pokemon cards cannot be compared to the stock market, nor real estate. The stock market and real estate both have the abilities to create new inventory for the demand, and offer similar preferences to a buyer. Older pokemon cards don’t have new inventory, so what’s left is what’s left. There’s no alternative to a PSA 10 1st edition charizard, or a 1st place TMB trophy. A comparable statement is if you wanted to purchase your neighbor’s house. You can tell the neighbor that the house market is collapsing or an upward trend in the future. Either way, if the neighbor doesn’t sell his house, no one can really purchase it. If you want that specific house, you will pay whatever the neighbor wants you to pay.

It’s also important to note that not all cards in Pokemon increased in value. Newer cards, such as the new sets, still dip in value like they typically do. I distinctively remember evolutions charizard full art was significantly more expensive the first few months it was released compared to now.

6 Likes

So why is everyone getting their panties all in a twist cause people have a different opinion than others? People can have their opinions and that’s just fine. Also those people claiming pogo was the biggest boost to the tcg seem to forget about evolutions, one of the most hyped recent sets because charizard reprint.

4 Likes

POKEMON GO Will have increased interest from previous and new people to the hobby. No doubt, but it didnt make the tcg the tcg and keep it alive.It just brought interest back for old school peeps and opened a new entry point for the new people trying POKEGO for the first time.
It had so much coverage its hard not to think of the TCG if you grew up with it.

I also love this forum :stuck_out_tongue:

The clash of opinions and nit picking of posts etc

You obviously have had some success in business if you can afford to spend $55k on a collection piece. You are probably a smart guy since you achieved that level of success. I am sure that you recognize your collection has increased substantially in value.

You are making a personal choice not to sell. But the increased value is still there. That is true for any purchase: homes, paintings, stocks, Pokemon cards, etc.

You have benefited substantially. Probably to the toon of hundreds of thousands of dollars in the increase of your collection’s value. If you dont see the increased value of your collection, I dont know if you should be arguing about the economics of the Pokemon market. That is a fundamental aspect. Sorry pal.

Wishing the cards were cheaper so that you could afford to buy more stuff… thats a different issue that everyone has.

2 Likes

Fair point. Although, I highly doubt anyone that doesn’t keep up with the TCG even heard of Evolutions at all. I know I didn’t, and I’m really into Pokémon. (Subscribed to lots of subreddits/channels/twitters etc etc related to Pokémon) - Got into the TCG again couple of months ago, that’s when I first even heard about Evolutions.

Getting into the weeds here now

Its clearly the backlash effect now. Everything that’s being stated is emotional based. I’m not saying charmaaner is wrong, but his point was Gary wants to increase the market, he hasn’t proved that, just that Gary benefits from it wether he wants it to grow or not.

1 Like

Gary is driving the prices up on his own by buying everything, and not because of his secret agenda. Don’t expect cards to become cheaper because the mad man will never stop.

5 Likes

I’m so glad that I don’t offer opinions anymore. People just nitpick here like crazy because we are all so heavily invested in the hobby.

5 Likes