An Artist's Journey with Pokemon - Versy's Fan Art Thread

I’m an artist that’s been drawing pokemon from the very beginning when I was a kid in 1998 after getting my copy Pokemon Red. I wanted to catalogue a few of my favorite pieces I’ve drawn over the years and how my approach to drawing them has changed.

I started out with pencil and paper, no color. That was the majority of how I drew. Here’s a drawing of my Pokemon Red team and all their names. Unfortunately I deleted my save in high school (stupid), but they’ll live on in memory.

Now here’s my Silver team! Keep in mind this was all pre-internet access so any reference material for the drawings had to come from player’s guides, box art, TCG art, or in-game sprites.

This one is titled “Where Is the Love?” after the BEP song and inspired by the first and second movies. This was during the height of music videos on TV and so a lot of pokemon art I did was mashed up with popular music at the time.

2005?

Don’t have the exact date on this one but I’m guessing it was in the later gens hence “the classics”. I already thought they were “classics!!” Little did I know how much farther the series would go.

2006?

eevee and others
I started getting into anime around this era and you can sort of tell by the shading I started implementing.

I got a hand-me-down laptop and was able to make the move into digital art. I didn’t own a mouse or a drawing tablet so you can see the lines are very shaky as I was drawing with a touch pad.

My pencil art improved quite a bit during high school, my digital art would be last to catch up. I still think this one is pretty awesome!

By now my digital art had improved and I got a drawing tablet! As you’ll notice, the lines are a lot cleaner because of this.

Now here’s where my art took a dark turn… I started doing these weird…semi-realistic semi-cartoony drawings. I hate it now looking back LOL, they’re so creepy.

Around this time I was in college for Animation, a course that was heavily influenced by Disney, so my art took on a more cartoony appearance and I dropped the anime aspects of it, for better or for worse.

Around here I started experimenting with style. Part of this was just for fun, yes, but part of it was I didn’t know how I wanted to work.

By now I have nailed down a new style I wanted to work in!

Cubone-idle
At this point I’m just making slight adjustments to the process. I also started a YouTube series called Pokedex Animated where I animated pokedex entries in this style.

Still a big fan of this piece! I simplified my shading a bit since then, maybe I need to bring it back a little.

The flat style is in full swing!

It was basically par for the course around now. Not much changing!

By now I had finished my first “season” of Pokedex Animated, 11 episodes. I called it a “season” because I changed the whole look of the videos and updates a lot of things.

I started making a serious effort to improve my art again as I felt I was stagnating. I went for more compelling illustrations that could stand on their own.

The pandemic had taken it’s toll on me and my output severely dropped… but I held in there, mostly focusing on making a few new Pokedex episodes.

This year I’ve been working hard to improve and start drawing again seriously after a major lull and artistic crisis. I ultimately have decided to shift focus away from fan art to original works but I will never, ever stop drawing pokemon.

I hope you like my work and enjoyed this brief story of my journey so far! :bowing_woman:

19 Likes

Wow, such an awesome journey of growth, passion and improvement. As a non-creative person it hammers in the fact that, it takes so long to develop these skills, art style, vision and the fact that people are just not born with it.

A question if you may, who is your favorite Pokemon illustrator (if you have one) or do you have any card artwork that resonates with you the most?

Thanks a lot for sharing. Looking forward to see more of your work.

Cheers!

P.S. the giant Dragonite is such a sick artwork. Kudos!

3 Likes

Thank you! It definitely is a lot of work. I think there is an aspect of talent, as it was apparent from a young age that I was skilled beyond my age group at drawing, and parents and teachers would always point this out, but along the way I’ve met gifted artists who didn’t push themselves to get better and as a result they stagnated or even got worse. I think you definitely need to never get too comfortable and keep pushing your limits.

My favorite pokemon illustrator is Arita. I’ve always loved his style, the way his shading brings such depth to his drawings and the “coolness” factor of the poses he chooses. My favorite illustration by him is the Ruby/Sapphire Manectric card. I love the the upshot in the rain, it looks almost threatening, but super cool.

Thank you again for the kind words!

5 Likes

Incredible to see so much of your work spanning such a long time, I’m so glad to have had that privilege! I really like your art, your Instagram looks terrific. Even just looking at the tiles you have a really spectacular instinct for color. Your creatures and characters are so striking!

1 Like

This artwork is better than perfect. Ascended super some might say :wink:

1 Like

What a fantastic outline of all your artwork and the progression over the decades. I sketched some of my favorites as well as a kid back in '99 but I never got past that point, probably because magically all my Pokemon ended up looking like a formless Ditto :rofl: I don’t know much about how digital artwork is created, but you definitely have an eye for both digital and hand drawn styles. When I started clicking through this post, I figured I would only look at one or two of the pictures, and ended up wanting to click through every one! Thanks for sharing this with us!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the kind words! I was not super confident with my color work until recently, so I appreciate hearing that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!! Surprisingly I never met another kid that would draw pokemon even during the height of the craze! Hand-drawn (traditional) and digital art are not very different. Digital just lets you fix mistakes much easier and mess around with filters / effects.

1 Like

These are fantastic! Really impressive to see all the different styles and improvements over the years! This was a fun read and look forward to seeing future work.

1 Like