A big rise in the price of booster boxes ~ EX Ruby/Sapphire

Booster boxes have been rising as of late, but I think this one was a real shocker

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-EX-Ruby-and-Sapphire-Booster-Box-Factory-Sealed-Extraordinarily-Rare/323950815536?hash=item4b6cf92930:g:us8AAOSw3tddqLRe

An EX Ruby & Sapphire booster box, sealed in mint condition just sold for $4k.

Sale was confirmed by a reddit user who listed the booster box and sold it within the same day

images.app.goo.gl/WuNkUWLnyZ59Gjq38

“Better buy quick”

Prices on some boxes are just not coherent anymore as there is just not enough supply. I wouldn´t call it a bubble as there is multiple people interested in these boxes, if they go down, they will be scooped up immediately. That being said, some common sense doesn´t hurt when it comes to buying boxes sometimes.

1 Like

Agreed. They say patience is a virtue.
Then again, FOMO is also a thing. :relieved:

1 Like

“Confirmed by a reddit user”? This could easily be fake news. This would be a very irresponsible purchase if true. I would rather take that kind of money and put it against tom brady winning in this year’s superbowl. Getting there is one thing but winning one against this loaded NFC is another. :eyes:

I don´t know if you already recognized it but we´d like to talk about PokÊmon, not some kind of sports.

5 Likes

I had a chat with the reddit user. He got an ex power keepers booster box, a gym heroes unlimited, and the ruby and sapphire box all between $250-400 a few years back and never got around to opening them. He posted on reddit to get some help on how to price them, ended up listing it at $4k because he thought it was a pretty high figure and wanted to receive offers through ebay, and then it surprisingly sold at the buy it now price on the same day. You can call it fake news if you want but it’s up to buyers to do research on what they’re buying in the first place for the future, and I have no reason to believe that this sale was fake

I just thought it was ridiculous because a master set of ruby and sapphire in psa 10 condition would probably net a little over $1k and I never really thought ex ruby and sapphire would be this sought out. Turns out, if you have the only listing available and your item is rare and limited in supply, the sky is the limit and the ceiling is the roof :grin:

Man you must be having a rough DECADE with all that Brady hate in your heart.

2 Likes

I’m talking about Tom Brady the pokemon not tom brady from some kind of sports. :eyes:

I personally expected this to happen. I feel like people will often choose the 2nd best option when the 1st best becomes out of their reach price wise. Since skyridge (and aquapolis to a lesser extent) have risen in prices so drastically people are looking for something similar. I have been expecting sets like expedition, EX ruby and sapphire, and EX sandstorm to climb in price and continue to climb because they also feature E-reader cards.

Maybe I’m wrong as to the reasoning but this has been my feelings towards these sets for many months and I think we are just seeing it start to happen now.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re wrong at all in your reasoning, I subscribe to the ‘rising tide lifts all boats’ idea and have profited greatly off it over the years. A great example is in MTG alpha, beta, unlimited … people get priced out of alpha they go to beta, people get priced out of beta they go to unlimited, alpha pulls the other two up along with it.

People get priced out of PSA 10 1st edition zard, they go for the 9s, they’re priced out of old back trophies, they go for new backs etc etc.

3 Likes

‘rising tide lifts all boats’ thats a good an interesting way to put it. I have been subscribing to the idea you just described, which is how I came to the conclusion of my original comment.

Just paid $6k for my neo genesis 1st edition booster box. Supply on boxes goes down every day, only real reason why prices would ever go down is if there is a recession.

9 years ago I paid $400 for a skyridge booster box? $315 for a neo destiny unlimited. Prices are all relative to the time period.

8 Likes

Literally what happened to me; i couldnt afford a PSA10 1st Ed Zard, wich is the holy grail for me; so i ended up going for a 9; and completed the whole 9 set.

Boxes wise; of course i couldnt afford a 1st Ed Base Set box…but then, i had the choice of an UNL one for like U$S2K when i came back…and also had the chance to spend those U$S2K on a 1st Ed. Spanish box. Ended up pulling the trigger on the spanish box; at this time BOTH boxes are over U$S3K; wich is some solid increase price wise, at least for me.

If there is a recession i see Pokemon and many many things going down; not just us. But yes, i 100% agree with you about this.

The ruby/sapphire box is a huge spike. Things change pretty quickly sometimes. I sold a first edition neo rev box for $7400 a few months back. Now theres on at $8900 as the current bid on ebay. People will spend what they want and buyers/sellers remorse isnt even an option. Markets always change in all aspects. I also bought first edition neo boxes for $400 each just like 6 years ago lol