A 1st edition Charizard was pulled...

The thread-derailing discussion has been removed. Please note rule 3.3:

3.3. Post on topic. Conversations naturally evolve and we encourage discussion. However, posts which are completely irrelevant will be removed at the discretion of the staff.

Posts which only intend to draw discussion away from a topic in order to peddle negative opinions and unfounded accusations will not be tolerated. Members who continually post in this manner are not tolerated, and while we never enjoy permanently removing a member from E4, that option is absolutely on the table.

16 Likes

Ironically the people who have done the most to grow the hobby over many years, Leonheart, Scott, Gary, cop the most criticism, likely from people who are profiteering from this growth in some form.

What an amazing experience watching that. There will be a time where the last 1st edition base charizard is pulled on camera and while watching it we will never know itā€™s the last! Enjoy all of these moments while they are still around.

1 Like

Already over 60,000 views! It will probably be 100k tomorrow! I feel like this will be one of the last few 1st Ed charizard openings we will get to experience. Crazy we had 2 this year.

8 Likes

Which is the other one?

Iā€™m very happy for him. He deserves it!

3 Likes

pokeradar pulled one
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqGmQrmdMd4

9 Likes

Super happy for him! Really awesome moment in the hobby with great timing. This is up there with the storage locker find, a once in a lifetime experience that most hope we get to have happen to us.

1 Like

I donā€™t watch him religiously but I know that I have seen a few and I am glad he got this win. I know he has done a lot for the community, not just Pokemon. Pokemon has become an ā€œevolutionā€ of Garyā€™s ā€œPokemansā€ video on Pawn Stars, to having more respect for the hobby in general (disregarding some of the flaws of parts of the community or ā€œadults crying about pricesā€). Growth in the hobby is good and we all deserve it, thanks for sharing the video!

Hooked instantly offering a quote from MJ :grin:

Louder for the people in the back

Much respect to this guy, amazing to see :blush:

2 Likes

So happy for him! Glad to see something good happen for him this time since he was feeling pretty down due to youtube issues as of late.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you know how much the big youtubers actually make. There is some ten year old named ryanā€™s toy review with 25 million subscribers who was making 20 million per year at one point, just off ad revenue. Advertisers used to specifically go after ā€œkidā€ channels because they want to create new young consumers for their products and you used to be able to target kids specifically through the youtube ad platform. Leonhart has 800k subs so I wouldnā€™t be surprised if he was making something like 300k-800k year (before COPPA). All the cards he opens could be sold off, especially the modern stuff to lower his overall costs. If you are under the impression that Leonhart is just blowing his savings on pokemon cards for the benefit of the community then you are quite deceived. With COPPA going into effect, the amount of revenue being earned by kid channels is plummeting from what Iā€™ve heard.

Also you can kind of tell he has other motives because he just released another video where he was complaining about the ā€œyoutube algorithmā€ and how his videos are not getting recommended but really what he is complaining about is lower earnings overall. Less views = lower earnings. He was apparently trying to counter the lower earnings by getting more subs but that also isnā€™t workingā€¦hence the frustration for him. My guess is he is going to have to cut the vintage stuff from his channel and will probably focus on opening cheap modern product only. COPPA is essentially a death sentence for kid channels, especially if you are spending a lot to make each video overall. He might also shift into more ā€œsponsored contentā€ type material.

4 Likes

This is fantastic for the community being able to see this, much respect to him!

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure he makes a respectable amount of income from opening Pokemon cards but when he first started his channel (his earliest videos), did you get the impression he was in it for the money or because he enjoys opening up packs of Pokemon cards. If the latter then everything that has happened is just a byproduct of blogging about his passion and without the youtube channel he would probably be opening packs today (maybe not vintage if he couldnā€™t afford it).

Really happy for Leon. Heā€™s obviously a great guy and a great asset to the community as a whole.

This is random, but just a few days ago I ended up watching an old video I made from back in 2009.
( Link if youā€™re interested-Complete Pokemon 1st Edition Base Set Mint Collection w/ PSA 10 Charizard Card - YouTube )

I randomly noticed that there was a comment left 7+ years ago from Leonhart (same youtube ID he uses now with the checkmark and all that) - in his comment he says that he had just gotten a 1st ed Base Charizard back from PSA. He was so excited because he was expecting to get a 9 but ended up getting a 10. I know he later ended up selling this card, which of course he deeply regretted later on. But then he got his YT channel going and the rest is history.

Heā€™s come full circle!

12 Likes

Wow! To get a heavy pack, then beat the 1:15 odds is amazing! Congrats Leonhart! What a way to end the week after the week heā€™s had.

1 Like

That was fun! I was watching with my nephew and he was wondering why I was flipping out so much. lol.

1 Like

ā€¦he has to make a living and theyā€™re not recommending his videos anymore

2 Likes

Do you also complain about prices?

2 Likes

Letā€™s drop the COPPA discussion here. Itā€™s frankly pointless and we should stick to discussing the pull.

3 Likes

Boom! The epitome of one pack magic. Really exciting and uplifting to see good fortune in these trying times.

A big congratulations to Leon! This video will be a YouTube staple for years to come.

1 Like