$5 USD Dream Redux - Sept 28 to Oct 7th

Welcome everyone to the next iteration of the $5 USD dream competition! We have had these in the past and they’re always a blast, so it’s time to revive it!

The goal is to buy the coolest Pokemon card you can find for $5 and under.

Rules:

• Spend $5 or less including shipping (sales tax is not included).

• Post a screenshot of the purchase that confirms purchase price and date.

• You can buy multiple cards to get cheaper shipping costs, but the card plus total shipping must be less than $5 (you can’t buy 5 cards and divide the shipping 5 ways)

• If you buy a card in a currency other than USD, provide the conversion rate at the time.

• Coupons may not be used.

• Your entry may be multiple cards (provided they total less than $5) and you may submit multiple entries.

Bonus points for telling us why you bought the card you did and why it’s the best!

The competition is open from Sept. 28th to Oct 7th at 11:59 ET. Cards must be purchased within this time frame, with a one-day grace period for those who found out about the contest on discord yesterday.

Vote on your favorite card purchase by liking the post! The post with the most likes at the end of the competition period wins. The winner will receive the coveted Four Star Token and maybe something else special!

16 Likes

I suppose I could pick up an extra shift at the factory so I can participate. Excited to see what people get!

13 Likes

This one is tough!

1 Like

Done!
I decided to buy Scizor Holo from HGSS Undaunted which is one of my favorite artworks ever and the best Artwork from that set.

*not the actual copy

I paid 5.10€ including shipping which at the current exchange rate is 4.98$

To get under 5$ I had to buy German copy in ‘‘Good’’ condition from a seller who has several reviews stating the he overgrades his cards. Considering this, will the card look like it was run over several times. Yes, it absolutely will.

14 Likes

I’ve never seen a card with an illustrative director thats super interesting. Also a really cool card at that :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The only other one I know of with an illustrative director is the Scyther from the same set.

2 Likes

What better time to add to a page in my wailmer binder than the e4 5$ card challenege! This wailmer is one of only a handful of gen 3 pokemon that actually got the WoTC treatment because it came out for the Japanese Pokemon Heros: Latias and Latios movie before the license was removed from WoTC.

Ross’ Wailmer is from the japanese VS theater limited half deck illustrated by Nishida who is one of my favorite artists.

It is the first ever wailmer card and one of very few gen 3 pokemon to actually have ereader minigame capabilities like the wotc ones have due to it being such an early release. I bought it from fellow e4 member @zorloth who i trade and buy from all the time. He is away at school currently so for now pics will have to suffice.

10 Likes

I looked a little on ebay today and man… are we adjusting for inflation since the last contest???

5 Likes

There is no inflation in Ba Sing Se. I am going to have to search real hard to find a decent $5 card though. I do like the challenge of it.

5 Likes

Pinsir is cool

11 Likes

Is that store you ordered from in MA by any chance?

1 Like

Not sure, their store name on TCGPlayer is The Armoury.

Yeah that store sounds familiar and its near me and i had buylisted a few of those pinsirs to them last month so just curious if its the same store

We went in reverse :skull:

1 Like

I was gonna say, wasn’t it 10$ last time?
This will be a challenge

1 Like

cries in Australian shipping costs

1 Like

I have a question please, I use a middleman for purchases in Japan (purchase cost + handling and shipping costs to the middleman warehouse). However, I consolidate all of my purchases for a one time shipping cost from my middleman to me. This will be much higher costs since it is a bigger package. Am I eligible to participate? Since I only get my cards in my consolidated package. Thanks.

Cheers!

Hmm, good question. I think to keep in line with the spirit of the rules, any middleman purchases would need to include middleman fees in the $5 limit. So if you can find something for less than $5 fees included, feel free to post it!

1 Like

Searches CGC 8.5 on eBay sorting lowest to highest

6 Likes

Ok, time for my entry! I chose the cosmos foil version of Milotic from Dragons Exalted.

This card was only available in a relatively strange product, the Target-exclusive Gym Collector Packs released in the XY era. You’d get 20 cards of the same type and a pack of Flashfire.

I love the cosmos holofoil pattern on this card, I think it fits with the underwater theme and art style much more than the line holo in the set.

Purchase confirmation (additional card added to reach free shipping threshold):

9 Likes