25th Anniversary Set - Celebrations

This is amazing and I love it. So happy they’re doing a proper TCG celebration set with mechanics from across the generations on new cards as well as remakes / reprints of old competitive staples and collector’s favorites.

4 Likes

Hype, English holo umbreon star is amazing, I’m gonna fill a binder with only that card

6 Likes

This is exactly where my head went when I heard this news.

1 Like

Thrilled with what’s been released so far. Been saying for a while that more Gym-style full art cards would be amazing so happy to see something close with the Lance’s Charizard. Holo Umbreon GS would be a big win if it has the cosmo holofoil pattern.

Just very excited for this set, 2021 shaping up to be a great year for collecting so far.

2 Likes

So will the 4-card boosters also contain the cards featured in the sealed products? For example, the Dragapult Prime and the Greninja Gold Star were specifically included in some of those boxes, but will they also be in the packs? I guess that extends for the entire 25 “special” card subset

Base Set Charizard had 120 HP in 1999 and 150 HP in 2016, so I can only assume with the amount of power creep the TCG has had in the past few years it’ll now have 200+ HP and be a basic Pokémon in 2021.

1 Like

6 Likes

Unlikely, but I really hope their power remains relative to the formats they are inspired by. I would love to use stuff like the Zacian Lv. X and Greninja Star in my cubes/decks from those DPP and ex.

"It will also introduce a special subset of 25 cards that are close remakes of iconic cards from the history of the Pokemon TCG. This includes Base Set Charizard, Umbreon ☆, and Tapu Lele-GX.

Many Celebrations products will include promo cards that combine recent Pokemon with popular game mechanics from previous sets, such as Light Pokemon, Delta Species (δ) Pokemon, and Pokemon Star. This includes Dark Sylveon V, Light Toxtricity, Greninja ☆, Mimikyu δ, Dragapult Prime, Zacian LV.X, Lance’s Charizard V, and more."

www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/celebrations/explore-and-watch/

My reading of all of this, looking into the language used is that the set will be structured like this:-

4 card packs, you will mostly pull cards from the main 45 card set, you will have a chance to pull cards from the 25 iconic card subset. In the same way you pull Shiny Vault cards from Hidden Fates packs.

These cards in the subset are remakes of cards we already know. The reimagining of new Pokemon on old mechanic cards to create completely new cards will only be found in the product promos.

In the Japanese 25th anniversary set they say of their subset “It will feature “cards from the past.” The cards in this pack will not be legal for Standard tournament play.” This makes me think that our subset will be the same and that the remakes of the iconic cards will be straight reprints rather than updates like in Evolutions.

1 Like

I’m so glad that this set only has a limited number of cards. It’s good they didn’t make it 200+ cards including SR’s. Gives the set an identity and more collectability. Everything about this set seems so good.

2 Likes

Oh no I have more Gold Stars to collect :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I really hope they print this into the ground so I can buy it at a reasonable price…

MY PANTS

22 Likes

!!! Losing my mind at that Light Toxtricity*
*all of them

7 Likes

It uses the same card frames and layouts. Crying.

5 Likes

It’s perfect.

4 Likes

MIMIKYU DELTA
HYDREIGON C
ZACIAN LV. X
DRAGAPULT PRIME
LIGHT TOXTRICITY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1 Like

The cards look great, but I’m not a fan of the giant Pikachu logo in the bottom right of the artwork. It makes sense to put them on reprints, but not on brand-new cards, IMO. Still, they did a great job with the art — they really captured the style of those eras.

6 Likes

I can’t get over how perfect this is! Old mechanics on new Pokémon, new Pokémon in old frames, even the illustrator selection is perfect!

Kawayoo Pokémon C, Kimura Light Pokémon, it’s so damn *perfect!

6 Likes

Man, I can’t articulate my excitement. The fan service on these cards are out of this world.

Light Toxtricity by Kimura with so many Neo Light Pokemon references.

Delta Mimikyu surrounded by crystals from Crystal Guardians.

The Prime sparkle in the Dreepy’s eyes as well as the Dragapult.

5 Likes