2016 Ice Hockey World Championship

Only 3 days before this tournament starts in Russia, better create new thread early enough. :grin:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_IIHF_World_Championship

What is the team you support? Who will win gold this year?

2 Likes

As a dual citizen, Iā€™ll be happy is either the US or Canada takes home gold. Canada probably will, their roster is (as always) four lines of superstars. I think the only teams that could challenge Canada are maybe the US and Russia. Gonna be real exciting to watch!

1 Like

Canada/Russia are really strong + especially Russia has lots of pressures because itā€™s their home tournament, not the easiest crowd to please. :grin:

Try to keep eye on Finland too. Pretty good team overall and great hunger to take 3rd gold beside U18/U20 championships achieved earlier this year.

I will be cheering on the US but it will be a good tournament.

I remember watching when pietrangelo was playing and was like, ā€œthis d-man is goodā€. I was elated when he signed with the blues. Canada is always so deep.

Oh and Patrick Lane is a sniper! Iā€™m guessing the Jets will draft him, shades of Teemu!

Itā€™s really close race between him and Auston Matthews, the results of this tournament might have huge effect on number 1 pick made by Toronto. Laine has done really well recently, U20 gold in January and Tappara ( his current team ) just won playoffs of national league.

I saw some of his playoffs highlights. I actually havenā€™t seen much footage of Matthews, just hear a lot about him being the projected 1st overall. I guess him being a well rounded center is the appeal, where Laine seems more like a pure goal scorer. I would take either one. :blush:

While I donā€™t want to compare them, I feel like this year is kinda like the Ovechkin/Malkin draft year. One will most likely be a very good player, but picking number two nets you one hell of a consolation prize.

Last year was kinda like that with McDavid/Eichel, but McDavid is so far ahead of Eichel that while heā€™s still a good player I donā€™t think theyā€™re in the same league.

Of course theyā€™re in the same league, they both play in the NHL!

Iā€™ll see myself out nowā€¦

4 Likes

Most surprised Russia lost 3-0 to Czech in opening game, well done Latvia by forcing Sweden to overtime and taking one point in the end. :blush:

1 Like

GO CANADA GO!!! :grin:

Amazing what Patrik Laine has already done so far. 2 games down, 4 goals with 2 assists so he already broke Jaromir Jagrā€™s old record ( youngest player to make 5 points in world championship tournament ). Keep it coming, Finland surely needs those against United States later today.

1 Like

He is definitely the standout right now. It will be interesting to see how he does in Winnipeg, assuming they choose him. I want to see the jets in the post season again. :blush:

I also want to see the Jets in the post season again, it was an amazing first playoff game last year. Paid over $300 to be at it. GO JETS GO!!

Mathews will go first and Jets would be dumb to not pick Laine.

The goalkeeper of Hungary was on fire last night! So many great saves against Finland regardless the final score.

Overall points of group A are so even. :neutral_face: Really hard to say which 4 teams move on to playoffs.

1 Like

Last day of group stages ahead, Canada versus Finland will be interesting match because both have won all previous games. Winner faces Denmark/Switzerland in quarterfinals, way better outcome than Sweden ( or Russia in worst case scenario ).

Also Slovakia has small chance to eliminate United States, highly unlikely though. Hats off to Germany placing 3rd in groub B. :blush:

I loved don cherryā€™s joke when Germany was playing Finland: ā€œthatā€™s the problem with Germans, they canā€™t finishā€. Usually Ron does the corny puns, but they had a good tournament.

Iā€™m curious to see how this tournament effects the draft. I will watch the whole thing this year as I know someone ranked 100 something from the US. Hopefully he gets picked up, hell of a wrist shot.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting, Finland actually beats Canada 4-0 after all the struggle in 1st period. Russia did win Sweden as expected so here are playoffs pairs:

Czech - United States

Canada - Sweden

Finland - Denmark

Russia - Germany

Any predictions for these matches?

1 Like

Predictions

Czech - United States - Czech Win

Canada - Sweden - Canada Win

Finland - Denmark - Fin Win

Russia - Germany - Russia Win

1 Like