1st Edition Pikachu Black Star Promo 1 "Ivy Pikachu"

So as most of us here I could imagine, have watched SMPratte’s video uploads as often as we watched Pokemon on Saturday mornings on WB Kids and are familiar with the topics that he uploads. I remember watching the Black Star Promo video that was uploaded and I just watched it again and noticed that the 1st Edition Black Star Promo Pikachu was not mentioned in the video. Being that it is the only 1st edition stamped black star promo card, is there any historical significance to this card? is it a sleeper card that has potential for upward growth? I rarely ever hear anyone talk about it and am hoping to gain some more knowledge about it. I have looked at the POP report for it and it seems extremely low and I heard that they were randomly inserted into 1st Edition Jungle boxes so it seems pretty special. SMPratte, if you are reading this, I would love to have your input in regards to this card and if there is any sort of historical significance or rarity attached to it. Also, if anyone here knows more about it please comment below! I appreciate everyone’s help and input! Thank you!
-Wotcmon

@wotcmon,First off, love that card. Just sent one off for grading and I’m expecting a PSA 8/9.

The card is already one of the (if not the) most valuable in the Jungle 1ed box, so I’m not sure sleeper is appropriate. It’s extremely valuable in high grade already and I think it has growth potential, but it’s current market is fair. It can go under the radar in an auction setting because people are not always “searching” for it. That’s how I got one of mine for only 60 bucks and flipped it for 125 (3 years ago), but I think a Near Mint raw copy can be valued around 150 right now.

Like most rare error cards from WOTC, it has significant value, but not everyone is looking for it. Like any WOTC card, it’s value will definitely grow given the rarity and it being pika black star #1.

In terms of other errors cards, it is behind the WB errors, no damage ninetales, 1st ed nonholo dark dragonite & evolution box wartortle in terms of value.

I place it in front of the nonholo unlimited dark dragonite by a small bit and way in front of most other errors like the sideways fist diglett and “d” edition butterfree.

1 Like

@joer , Wow what a great read and thank you for such a thorough reply! It’s nice to see that someone shares an appreciation for the card like I do. It’s crazy to think that this is pretty much the most valuable card from 1st edition jungle and not as mainstream as the PSA 10 Vaporeon.

For now I’m just hoping that we are getting this card before it builds up a bigger following as you said, it is a Pikachu and the #1 black star promo.

Thank you again for your response, and sorry for getting back a week late too.