You get to make 1 wish for the Scarlet and Violet TCG era, what is it?

Sun and Moon era was the start of the death of set collecting, and SWSH/PLA era has forever ruined any reasonable way to collect a full set. The HR cards are just so boring, and they got boring very quickly. There are what? 9 tiers of rarity within a set now? Ridiculous.

2 Likes

My only wish is that they dont stop giving us alternate full art cards, I dont want this type of card to be only a SWSH era stuff, they need to keep working on it as there are a lot of pokemon that deserve at least one. Other than that, I want them to be more creative with the holo reverse cards, something like they did with the pokeballs (1) or the bubbles (2) in Japan.

4 Likes

Give us a HR/RR AND and alt art in a single box. That would make actually opening Japanese boxes worth it for me.

2 Likes

This! I was going to open a ton of Eevee Heroes, until I saw some boxes only gives you a Gordie or just a full art V that counts toward your 1 and only hit. That turned me off on that idea.

1 Like

A few people have said it already but I think they need to get rid of the Rainbow Rares. They just feel redundant when thereā€™s already a ton of chase cards in these sets. Other than that I just hope we continue receiving the great artwork thatā€™s been present in sets recently. Alt arts are fantastic but even the commons and uncommons stop me dead in my tracks.

1 Like

Summary of our wants list:

• Make packs truly unweighable without a code card gimmick (holo in every pack)
  • Trainers and rainbow rares donā€™t count towards your ā€œ1 hit per boxā€ for Japanese, and increase the pull rates for English so these are just extras, not chase cards for set building. Or get rid of rainbow rares completely.
  • Improve reverse holos, and improve the holo rare holo pattern (cosmos)
  • Smaller English sets, just do a copy and paste of Japanese
  • Make a chase rarity that is obtainable, like 1 every 2 boxes (Gold Stars, original ex, etc)
3 Likes

Every booster pack should definitely have at least one holo, with the reverse being the same as FRLG. Pure holo goodness for each and every card in the set. No set name on the reverse either if I got to choose.

I would also completely skip the bottom tier V style of card completely and have the lowest tier be artwork similar to a VMAX. The look of Vā€™s just doesnā€™t feel like anything special. Even a 2 dollar VMAX card makes me perk up simply because of the more unhindered , up close look at the Pokemon on the card.

Retire rainbow rares for sure, add new styles. Something Iā€™m still a huge fan of is the Amazing rare look. Those cards look awesome in person! I can only imagine what a full art card with all those sparkles and colors would look like! Get the ratios just right and it would truly be a treat to pull something like that in a pack.

Another variant I think would be cool would be a ghost rare variant! This one is just out of a personal curiousness. Iā€™ve always wondered what it would be like to have a binder page of ghost rare Pokemon to look at.

The alternative arts are great and the gold cards are fine. I think I would like to see the gold card reserved for shiny Pokemon only vs pulling a gold trainer card. A binder for only shiny gold Pokemon sounds pretty fun and the chase over multiple sets would be engaging.

Thereā€™s so much more that could be done, and other rarities/ style of rarities that could be added. I feel like Pokemon is sometimes falling behind other shiny cardboard games when it comes to pulls. Iā€™ll sometimes take opening XYZ game over Pokemon because their lowest tier rarity is more exciting. Sometimes I can only afford or I only want to buy a couple of booster packs and going in knowing Iā€™m going to pull a non-holo rare and common reverse holo with an unappealing reverse holo format just makes me want to put my $5 elsewhere.

3 Likes

HR/UR/SR-section would need better foil too for me to consider collecting them. Cosmos is too much maybe, Galaxy is dead but something more flat like the FaB coldfoils or Neo Destiny Shinings would work beautiful I think. Or, even more unrealistic, similar grade foil material of old Galaxy just without the stars.

The fact that Iā€™m speaking about these tiny specks of improvement as if theyā€™re this impossible dream is depressing.

3 Likes

Nonholo full arts
e.g JP Post Pikachu & Cramorant, March 2021 Illustration magazine concept Gengar/Delphox/Chikorita/Suicune

1 Like

Two big ones for me.

1. Bring the gray japanese borders to english.
  2. No more Rainbow Rares.
4 Likes

Just thought of another one.

ā€¢ Put more effort into the package design of English booster boxes.

3 Likes

Lots of people in this thread wanting rainbow rares gone entirely. I think having 4 or 5 rainbow rare pokemon in a set is fine but they REALLY should get rid of those goddamn rainbow rare trainers. Nothing like opening a pack and getting a rainbow rare trainer. Super disappointing.

5 Likes

After getting back into the hobby when celebrations came out and loving the classic collection as a WOTC kid, I would love if they released a classic set each year with the WOTC style cards and boosterbox designs (kinda hate the current packaging, but I can understand it from a vendorā€™s perspective). Would be amazing to see follow ups to sets like Gym Challenge/Gym Heroes and the E-series. Imagine if they would bring back 1st edition cards back for these special releases :eyes:. The PokĆ©mon Company would literally be printing money if they did that.

3 Likes

Put them in the trash where they belong

2 Likes

This. I really hope they get rid of rainbow cards and instead you have terra/gem cards. Itā€™s be cool if you ended up with emerald,ruby,sapphire PokĆ©mon instead of a rainbow one.

I just want a return to normal size sets. This has been a problem since black and white. Itā€™s ridiculous trying to complete a set by opening packsā€¦ I mean CASES.

4 Likes

Less reverse holos :confounded:

Who do you think they asked/surveyed before deciding to make rainbow trainers?

And who would they ask now for feedback? Obviously itā€™s too late now, since the setā€™s already designed, but you would hope they have finally killed rainbows once and for all based on research.

I think my biggest wish is to change pull rates that have not changed since the start.

Rare cards have served no purpose since their first introduction and Japanese has never had them. TPCi needs to stop inflating rarity of dozens of cards from C->U, U->R just to make pull rates harder.

Holos every pack as stated, since they are worth nothing now anyway.

Then, whatever the number of additional rarities are, there needs to be a guaranteed rate per box. Currently you can actually not get something as common as a VMAX/VSTAR in a box. Thatā€™s stupid.

Japanese makes sure all normal cards are guaranteed and plentiful. This would then reduce the number of ancillary products they need to wastefully print to make cards more accessible to players.

& finally to make up for ā€œultra rareā€ cards (fa+) becoming more common, have actual artists design all full arts so demand goes up. No more CGI art on an empty background. Basically, make more cards that are worth collecting.

ps. supporter cards are actually now on par with VSTAR cards with having the most tiers (3) - even excluding everything else, is that really necessary?

4 Likes

Kids like shiny things and rainbows are very shiny and sparkly. The sets from sm-swsh have all sold VERY well, so the rainbows arenā€™t really hurting PokĆ©mon. PokĆ©mon has proven that they can keep doing the same while also mixing in doing the new to get people to spend money.

The tcg now is just the result of years of PokĆ©mon trying new things to keep the hobby interesting and new. We get new card designs and these designs subsequently vanish or are iterated upon. Some of these designs have really hit the mark and are quite enjoyable for collectors (trainer gallery cards/alt arts, even rainbows to some extent). Others have not (break cardsā€¦) Others have stayed for only a set or 2 (amazing rares). You win some you lose some :person_shrugging:

Not collectors :pensive:
Alt arts are a big step in the right direction and I see Pokemon leaning more on that moving forward. There is a lot that can be done with em.

:100:

3 Likes

Everyone said most of the good ones but no more reusing the same art for a different rarity type. Every card should have a unique art. Also I second or third or 100ā€™th the notion of smaller sets PLEASE!

4 Likes