Would you send to PSA or BGS? Predictions?

Hi guys I found a folder at my parent’s house of my old cards. I bought this Charizard for $25 back in the day. Any predictions on what grade this card would fetch and which grading service would you use and why?

Thank you so much!!

Hard to say off pictures. Appears the front is pretty clean but it’s difficult to estimate the condition of the back. Looks like some whitening and a corner lip on the bottom left? Some back surface wear?

PSA is the standard so fetches more of a premium on 99% of the grades. That’s what I would choose personally.

If I were to guess maybe a PSA 6 or 7.

This is a PSA 6… I’d say my card is in much better condition.

If you send it to Ludkins they will give you a pregrade before you make a final decision on submitting or not. Might be a good idea to try.

I´d say that this will receive a lower grade, between 5-8 but impossible to tell precisely without clearly seeing the holo and having the card in hand. There´s a fair bit of whitening and some minor indentations (?) on the back alone.

For these lower grades especially go with PSA, there is absolutely no market for anything under bgs 8.5

@s4nr, Not all grades look the same. If your card has a dent or a small crease, it is automatically a PSA 6 no matter what the rest of the card looks like. Depending on your grader they may see that edge lip as a dent/crease, or they may see it as edgewear in which case a 7-8 would be in the cards. Keep in mind it is impossible to accurately grade a card just from a few pictures.

PSA is the market standard for graded base set Charizards. You’ll get good value for it no matter what grading company you use, but PSA is likely your best bet.

1 Like

Thx for your input guys. I’ll send it in soon and let you know what it gets.

I would use CGC Grading. No idea on grade. PSA is the most popular but with this being a Charizard I can almost garentee you will be up charged and wait forever on your submission. CGC will have your card back in less than 30 days without a upcharge. Your probably looking at $13 or so if your just submitting that card before shipping. If you don’t care about money or upcharges wait etc than maybe PSA. But your choice regardless sweet old find you had and good luck man! :slight_smile:

I’m not in a rush to get it back so I don’t mind the wait time. I remember being a kid and seeing it in the display case of a local card shop (still exists today). I rode my bike home and grabbed $25 and bought it straight out of the case and I was so happy. I’m glad it turned out to be a good investment. I felt like I cheated for not getting it out of a booster pack but whatever.

2 Likes

I’m going with 8, on a bad day, 7.

Some other people on reddit range from 7-9. Comparing my card to a lot of youtube videos I’m going to guess an 8. We’ll see!

I agree with this assessment from the pictures provided.

CGC is probably the worst choice. PSA and BGS are both good choices though.

i would send that to PSA as it wont get a gold label, it would fetch more if wanting to sell if it was slabbed by PSA