Estimate on 1st Edition Charizard for PSA

A few days ago I recently found my old pokemon cards and was surprised that I still had my 1st Edition Base Set Charizard still in pretty good condition and I’m planning to send it to PSA to get it graded, but I’ve been doing research on how PSA grades their cards and quite frankly I don’t know what grade this card will land at. So is anybody able to give some rough estimates or raw review on this Charizard?

I inspected the card itself and (in my opinion) the edges and the centering look pretty solid. The back is clear of any major whitening and the holo is pretty vibrant and solid. The only thing I worry about is the surface of the card where there are little scratches that expose the foil. I read that PSA does not particularly get picky over card surfaces as much as the overall shape and condition as long as the scratches don’t affect the overall aesthetic of the card. But looking at this card from afar, the scratches are practically if not barely, unnoticeable. I’m really hoping that this card might be a strong 8 or a weak 9.

I have some pictures of the card in the link below and I apologize if some dinks or scratches are hard to see. I hope to get some honest feedback :blush:

Photos of the Charizard

2 Likes

@kurrii, It’s hard to tell with the sleeve on . . . but in my experience this would be in the 7-8 territory. Generally, print lines (factory scratches) bump it down to a PSA 8 at best, and actual scratches bump it down to a PSA 7. Again, it’s hard to tell for sure through a sleeve and it’s a really nice card worthy of grading!

Beautiful card!! Not a quite a 10 likely because of that factory line, but still in absolutely fantastic condition. I wish you the best with grading it!

Looks like an solid 7 or even an 8 on a good day :grin:

7 or 8

1 Like

Might get you an 8 depending on how the graders day is going :stuck_out_tongue:

@butchdawg32,@simorno,@pokemonargentina,@ccrntrade,@pokemoncardproject,
Thank you so much for your feedback! Didn’t think that the factory line would dock off so many points on its grade but I’m still planning on sending this card to PSA while crossing my fingers for an 8. :blush:

Just want to chime in and say that my 1st edition Zard has an almost identical factory line. It’s a 7, but the centering on your’s is way better. Best of luck with it!

imo that card is a 6 at best with all the nicks, whitening and silvering.

Chime back in with the results when you get it back. I wish you the best of luck dude!

2 Likes

To mee this seems like a 7 max.

8/8.5 IMO… please post results when you get it back!

7-8 imo, but it is a right decision to grade it cuz it will only be more valuable in the future :blush:

PSA 7

1 Like

I’m saying 8, good luck!

It is hard to tell with the penny sleeve, but from what I can see I would say an 8 to 9.

Did you pull that one yourself back in the day? Regardless, it’s awesome to see any first edition base card being found years later by its owner; let alone a Charizard! I’ll go with a PSA 7 and I wish you best of luck!