WOTC Shadowless Base Set Theme Decks

So I came across a base set theme deck display box with 8 decks (2 Zap, 2 Overgrowth, etc.) at an estate sale. Has wizards logos on it. If I were to open the seal and take out the individual decks, is there any way to tell if the cards inside are shadowless? For the starter deck there are some indicators of what’s inside by feeling the box. Are there any ways to tell whether or not these pre-constructed theme decks are shadowless?

Just have to open one up as far as I know. Except if they have a gold strip towards the top to open them. That is the only guarantee I think.

That’s what I figured. The gold strip is a dead giveaway… that would make things too easy though :wink:

Wondering if anyone knows some secret technique or voodoo dance or whatever that tells you what’s inside without opening.

Not for sure.

These are actually false indicators. Charizardauthority mentioned several of these in his videos based on his experiences years ago. It’s not his fault for hypothesizing as we’re all students of the hobby.

But blue text on the Zap deck is not an indicator of contents. I’ve personally pulled shadowless cards from boxes with blue text: just last week actually. Same with pikachu being in front or behind two cards on the box back or the damage counters text. WOTC logos aren’t an indicator either apparently.

Still looking for that illusive indicator. I was thinking that weight might be a thing…

www.elitefourum.com/t/english-base-set-2-player-starter-deck-guide/14698/1

Maybe this can help

Thanks! But that thread discusses the base set starter deck. This concerns base set pre-constructed theme decks.

I know, but maybe a resemblance in packaging (plastic wrap) and backsides (tokens used, energy cards etc) can be indicators.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1n8WfOaoTQ
This old Youtube vid maybe can give some packaging hints aswell

1 Like

From my findings and the large amount of gold strips I opened back in the day, I believe gold strips proved 100% it was shadowless. All other methods have been debunked, card in front of damage counters, dates on back of package, writing on front.

My bad. Didn’t mean to post inaccurate information. :slightly_frowning_face:

I don’t think weight would be a factor unless the contents of the boxes are different.