Sealed Shadowless base set Starter Deck case price?

Debating on opening and grading these 8 bad boys, but wondering if anyone might have a value on a sealed case?

Two up on ebay, one is wizards wrap no codes at $4,100 (so not 100% shadowless) and the other is $4,995 Clear wrap no codes.

Both of those seem high and no sold listings, any input?

thanks!

For clarification, not theme decks, 2-player starter decks (Machamps).

Do sellers of these decks have an obligation to disclose the significant probability that the wrap around the cards has melted into and destroyed at least the holo?

Starter decks have a different plastic than the theme decks, no melting occurs on these.

4 Likes

The eBay Listing that you mentioned for $4,100.00 - I am 99.999% sure this IS NOT Shadowless. A few weeks back, Rusty (TCA Gaming) auctioned-off his Theme Deck Display Collection. There were three versions of the 2-Player Starter Deck Display that he auctioned-off: Unlimited, WotC Wrapping with No Code, and Clear Wrapping with No Code. He listed the later two as a possibility for Shadowless Cards. Someone else actually asked him to gently “shake” both of those boxes (to tell whether the damage counters were loose) - the WotC Wrapping Display sounded just like the Unlimited Version where-as the Clear Wrapping Display had a distinct rattle (loose damage counters).

In terms of pricing… I actually purchased the Clear Wrapping Display off him via eBay Auction. Here’s the eBay Listing:

www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-Base-Set-NO-LOGO-VARIANT-Starter-Deck-Box-Display-of-8-WOTC-Pokemon-Cards/312018508243?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I purchased this one for $715.00. The other one (WotC Wrapping with One Country Code) sold for $285.00:

www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-Base-Set-VARIANT-Starter-Deck-Box-Display-of-8-WOTC-Pokemon-Cards/263368069118?hash=item3d51f5cffe:g:8UoAAOSwpiNZts9K

Unfortunately, that price probably isn’t the best indication of pricing - as it wasn’t listed as 100% Shadowless.

I actually opened my Display and one Theme Deck - I had to know for sure whether it was in-fact Shadowless (it was)! To give you a rough “estimate” on pricing - here is what I thought the value would be (just a complete guess more-or-less): $250.00 / Deck x 8 Decks is $2,000.00 plus $500.00 for Wrapping / Rarity = $2,500.00.

1 Like

What a steal you got! I think that’s a fair valuation. The decks used to go for about $200, but Machamp has been on the rise recently… Definitely $2000+

Are clear wrapped cases guaranteed 100% Shadowless?

link

There’s actually 4 Theme Decks listed right now at $215 each OBO, but it might be worth asking the seller to double check if they’re really Shadowless.

I opened two jungle theme decks over the holidays and neither deck had plastic melted onto the cards?

The 4 Theme decks(blackout, brushfire, Zap! & Overgrowth) from base set almost always have the sticky residue on the holos due to the plastic wrap.

I’ve only ever seen the one that I purchased - so I’m not 100% Positive; but I would assume the clear wrapping and no country codes will result in a Shadowless Display Case.

I believe this is the case as well, clear wrapping and no codes should rattle around and be shadowless.

I think the WOTC wrapped with no codes is similar to the green wing boosters, has a chance to be shadowless, but not 100%.

I must have got extremely lucky then. Opened two Overgrowth decks and no residue on the Kangaskhan cards.

That’s Power Reserve(Jungle). Overgrowth would get you a Base Gyarados. Nothing too special opening a Mint Kangashkan though… It’s a different story if you have a possible Gem Shadowless Holo($1000+) ruined.

2 Likes

Overgrowth doesn’t contain kangaskhan, it contains gyarados

ah I never read the box lol. regardless, the plastic in the power reserve boxes were not melted

1 Like

A lot of them were not melted. It has to do with how they’ve been stored and kept away from high temperatures. I’m also curious which theme decks have been affected by this.

I’ve only ever seen Shadowless cards have the glue stain, so maybe these decks were sealed differently or does it affect Unlimited Base and other sets as well?

just shadowless, they were sealed differently to every other deck produced after them

1 Like