English Base Set 2-Player Starter Deck Guide

Base set 2-Player Stater Deck Guide

Different English Versions & Identifying Shadowless Decks

Just like many of the English base set boosters, there are a few different versions and print runs of the Base set 2-Player starter deck. I do not have the knowledge of Japanese base theme decks, so this will be purely based on the English prints. To some this is common knowledge, but I figured I was sitting on this information from opening & purchasing many decks looking for a PSA 10 Machamp, that this could be helpful for other collectors. Enjoy and please let me know if you see anything wrong!

Base Set Unlimited (most common)

The set that started it all, if you collected when Pokemon TCG started, you and everyone had this deck.

WOCO6047/WOCO6057
61 Unlimited, shadowed cards
1 Holographic 1st edition unlimited, shadowed Machamp
Rules Version 2
Starter Rules
Box opens from top
Damage Counters - marble type (cardboard on later releases)
2 30-card decks are packed side by side with counters on top or bottom (if cardboard)

Front - Very similar on all variants. Some have the larger and smaller energy symbols, some have the * next to the TM, but none make any difference on the contents (similar to the unlimited booster packs with different colors/sizes)

Inside - basically like this, without the mat and coin. Decks side to side to keep from sliding around in the box.

Back- 6 unlimited cards as well as 1995, 1996 and 1998 dates - Guarantees this box contains Unlimited, shadowed cards

Base Set Unlimited (Variation 1)

WOCO6047/WOCO6057
61 Unlimited, shadowed cards
1 Holographic 1st edition unlimited, shadowed Machamp
Rules (no revision)
Starter Rules
Version 1
Box opens from side
Damage Counters - marble type
2 30-card decks are packed side by side with counters on top
Diglett Error is known to come from this box

Front of Variant 1- Again, subtle differences exist between these, but nothing that directly correlates to the contents.

Back of Variant 1- Ah, finally some differences that can dictate the contents!

6 Energy cards and 1995, 1996, 1998 AND 1999 dates. This means obviously older print run with the 1999 date, but this contains Unlimited, shadowed cards.

Base Set Shadowless(Variation 2)

WOCO6047/WOCO6057
May have Gold Opening Strip
61 Shadowless cards
1 Holographic 1st edition Shadowless Machamp
Rules (no revision)
Starter Rules
Version 1
Damage Counters - marble type
Both 30 card decks are Stacked upon each other on top half of box
Damage counters loose in bottom half of the box

Without Gold Strip

With Gold Strip

Front - Beating a dead horse here, nothing to 100% distinguish contents in my experience

Back - Same 6 energy cards and 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999 date, older 1999 print date. This deck contains Shadowless cards.

Variants 2 & 3 both have the 1999 dates, but in my experience there is only one way to be 100% sure it is shadowless and that is due to the positioning of the contents inside as explained above.

The 2nd variant (6 energies, 1999 date) has the decks packed side by side, stopping the deck from sliding around as well as the damage counters. The 3rd Variant (6 energies, 1999 date) has the decks stacked on top of each other in a top slot (as shown below) & the damage counters free in the bottom slot.

The 3 Checks to guarantee the deck will be Shadowless(without a Gold Strip)

1. Box must have 6 Energy symbols on back as well as 1999 date twice.
  2. Rattle of loose damage counters
  3. Firmly, yet gently squeeze the bottom half of the box (fingers on front and back) to make sure no cards are present.

Its that simple! Its too bad it needs to physically be in your hand to guarantee, but it is possible to know without opening!

Base Set 4th Print (Variation 4)

61 Unlimited, Shadowed cards
(with 1999-2000 date possible) 1 Holographic 1st edition unlimited, shadowed Machamp
(1999-2000 date Possible) Rules (no revision)
Starter Rules Version 1 Box opens from Top Damage Counters - Cardboard 2 30-card decks are packed side by side with counters on top

Back- 1999-2000 Dates as well as Non-shadowless Machamp

14 Likes

awesome guide, theres also the gold strip variant which guarantees shadowless cards are inside

1999-2000 starter decks show an unlimited machamp on the back which is cool, and its worth noting that the 1999-2000 decks are much like the booster packs, in that theres a good chance the holo has the regular 1999 date

Ah, will add! Wasn’t sure there was a gold strip of the starter deck, have only seen the theme decks with them.
Thanks!

1 Like

What an awesome guide. I have 6 2-player starter decks coming in so I’ll be using this to check for shadowless decks. Thanks for posting!

Nice guide.

There’s also a variant that has POKEMON centered on the back but inside is packaged strangely and contains shadowed cards. It also contains a surprise;)
Besides my boy Scott, does anybody else know what that surprise is?

Fantastic guide!

So, does the same apply to the Zap, Overgrowth, Brushfire and Blackout decks? If they have the decks stacked in the top of the box, and the counters loose in the bottom, does that mean those boxes contain shadowless cards as well?

Nope. As far as I am aware since they package the holo on top of the 60 card decks, the Theme decks are all packaged exactly the same, regardless of shadowless/unlimited. Besides the gold strip, I am not too sure on the identifiers for Theme decks. Not to mention, they usually end up with damage if they are sealed(the wrapping tends to leave residue on the holo which is on top), so I don’t bother attempting to find shadowless ones myself.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like nobody does, but will we soon?

I was told if I said anything they’d kill me :crying_cat_face:

Hint at least? What dates does it have? Is it one of the shadowed ones with 1999 date included or one of the more common ones without 1999 date listed?

Interestingly enough right before this guide came out I had a couple of these in possession and am still awaiting some others in the mail.

@joetehman any idea on which variations can come in the starter gift box? Any way to distinguish on the outside of the starter gift box which 2 player starter set is included inside?

Should be an unlimited print. The only other variation to my knowledge is in the base-2, 2-player starter set which can have the Galaxy foil Machamp.

Ok. Here’s a hint.
It’s the only base starter that contains an error, at least shadowed (I think;)

1 Like

o, its the diglett with the side ways energy symbol

If my experience means anything, I believe those were from the shadowed, 1999 dated back, unless I am mistaken.

You mean shadowed box with the off centered Pokemon logo on the back?

I used this guide to successfully purchase a Shadowless 2 Player Starter Deck. So thank you very much!

Hey!

I have a 2 Player Starter Deck that does not resemble any of the variants here shown. It has no damage counters on the back picture (I reckon that is the only difference). It has a non-shadowless Machamp and the date 1999.

Does any one know anything about it? Is it a different version of Unlimited?

Thank you!

EDIT: Here is a picture of the back: imgur.com/a/y2OP3

EDIT 2: I discover that all the foreign language ones don’t have damage counters in the back image. However this is an English one, might be UK, 4th print maybe?